Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 136wb Promaster.

I have many hills in my area and in previous vehicles I am used to downshifting when going down hills to reduce wear on my brakes.

How do I downshift the Promaster?

As a side note, when going down hills in the Promaster, although my instinct is to want to downshift, the Promaster already feels like it has been downshifted, and is driving with a lot of resistance and requires less braking than what I am used to in my previous truck.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gas engine? From "Drive" push the shift lever left into the manual position then shift up or down.

The selection that you are making is not a true manual mode. It only limits the maximum gear that the automatic gear selection will make (e.g. if you select "4" it will shift automatically up to gear 4 but will not upshift beyond that. and it will downshift to 4 if you do this at a time when it is already in a higher gear). Still, it's useful in hilly terrain to reduce unnecessary shifting.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I have commented before on this issue. First, on the diesel move the lever to the left to M- manual, then push forward or back for a different gear. If it is an allowed shift the true manual will engage it. The transmission will shift lower if the speed drops to require it but will not shift up above the selected gear.
Brakes are wear parts designed to be replaced cheaply. Pads are about $40 and if you use them instead of down shifting they will wear a bit more quickly. On extreme hills they can overheat but that is rare and experience teaches when a down shift is also warranted. FCA and most other builders have taken this brain function and put their control over the transmission into the computer. This is good for stupid or ignorant drivers. Engines and transmissions wear too. An engine is probably $5000 to $9000 (diesel) and transmissions are probably $4000. I know how to rebuild both and have but trust me, you will rather have the brakes repaired. I tend to let my diesel van coast in (manual) 6th gear and use the brakes. Not being stupid or ignorant I use the engine and transmission in extreme cases which are rare. Personally I dislike the loss of choice that has been taken from driving. I am an anachronism. I’ll go back into my hole now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts