Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1- Before shopping, find a Lemon Law attorney in your state. Enlist his expertise and follow his/her recommendations before purchasing. It will definitely be to your advantage. Pentastar engines and transmissions have issues.
#2 - If your state of residence does not have a strong Lemon Law, either stop shopping, consider purchasing in a state which does have a strong lemon law.
#3 - Document everything. Every event, however small it may seem in the moment. Many states have small thresholds that will allow you to make a claim miles down the road when your vehicle is in the shop for weeks, if not months. You can recover for your pain and aggravation for poor engineering, poor dealer service, loss of use, etc. Due diligence!!

Prepare yourself for a battle when it comes to expectations when you get the run-around for placing blame amongst the different FCA warranties factory or Max Care divisions. It ain't pretty or fun, especially if you rely on the vehicle you purchase is for making a living or travel full-time.

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
Im no lawyer but I would assume the lemon laws may apply to the state in which you live in not where you purchased it No matter what, it could be a major hassle trying to claim something under a lemon law in a different state from which you reside based on logistics alone plus lemon laws don't necessarily apply to commercial vehicles in all states, I believe.

Best to not need to rely on a lemon law to save you although some members here have had success.

No matter, the consumer is always at a distinct disadvantage when buying a new vehicle from a dealer!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
This thread jars me because so few PM buyers have needed this level of protection, but as a lawyer, I will make one comment.

Transactions involving commercial vehicles are not covered by consumer protection laws. A PM is not necessarily a commercial vehicle, but it may be designated as such, particularly if the buyer is eager to take advantage of commercial rebates, etc.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was titled as a passenger vehicle in Ohio. I could really kick myself in the arse for not following my own advice. I love the PM but really dislike the manufacturer and customer service. Out of 26 dealers I have been to for service/warranty repairs, I would only be able to recommend 2.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi,
Just for folks thinking about buying a promaster, there are many of us who have had no significant problems. Mine has 83,000 miles on it and the most significant issue was replacing a bad oil pressure sensor. I think that KipOnTrucking (who does expidited shipping in his vans) reported 460,000 miles on two vans with no transmission problems - I may not have these numbers exactly right, but his opinion based half a million miles (or more) and he feels the transmission is quite good.

I think you tend to get a more negative view than is warranted when reading the forum in that people who have problems post about them (which is good), but the larger group of people without problems don't.

You hear all these arguments on which of the vans (Sprinter, Transit, and Promaster) has the most problems -- lots of strong opinions. But, is there any actual data that a credible organization collects on actual repair frequency or reliability? I know Consumer Reports does this for cars, but don't think they cover the big vans.

Gary

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you tend to get a more negative view than is warranted when reading the forum in that people who have problems post about them (which is good), but the larger group of people without problems don't.
I think, like El Jefe said, it's as much about the service as it is about the issues. I've now been to service shops in Colorado, Alaska, Alberta, and Pennsylvania. They were lousy bordering on criminal, even if I could get an appointment since most seemed so backlogged, it'd be weeks before I could bring it in. Most shops I've called won't even work on PMs. The "indefinite backorder" on a critical part 2 weeks before I was supposed to move into the van for a year was a nasty surprise.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And, after spending 13 days in front of the dealership, they finally replaced cams and rocker arms, catalytic converters. 100 miles later, dead in the water on the road. Horrible sound of knocking sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the engine. $349.00 tow charge back to the dealer who did the repairs. Here we sit waiting for the dealer to open tomorrow morning. 75k miles, most miles highway.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I sit in the dealers lot, I open the hood after a rain...I see water puddles inside and on top of the engine. Water on several electrical connections. Does water and electricity get well along with each other? Could that cause a problem or is that normal? Me does not think so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts