Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City will be coming to dealerships before the start of the new year. This vehicle is going to be a very versatile little van. There are plenty of uses for it. Let us know what you are thinking of using the ProMaster City for, and below I've listed some info on what potential uses there are.

The ProMaster City is a five-passenger version of this small inexpensive cargo van. Ram brand chief Bob Hegbloom expects that four of every five ProMaster City vans sold in the US will be configured for cargo. The wagon version of the ProMaster City has ample room for cargo, but also for five passengers.

The passenger version may also work really well as a taxi, which Ram dealers were a "little surprised" about.

What will you guys be using the Ram ProMaster City for?

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/2015-ram-promaster-city-is-ready-to-challenge-ford-and-nissan/

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
21/29 MPG is impressive, but a cargo volume lower than a minivan may limit a lot of business applications.

I do like the engine/transmission combination. Wish I could find the final axle ratio used on the PM City.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm waiting to get the wagon slt.That will suit my needs to a T.I showed my wife a picture of the wagon and she loves it.How soon will we be able to order,anybody know?

·
Registered
211 Posts
For anybody interested,I talked to my local Ram dealer yesterday and they told me that they can start ordering the PMC in April,and expect to start getting them on their lots around May or early June.Of course I'm hoping that it will be sooner but it's still not far off.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Saw one this morning at the Auto Show. And it is small. Didn't spend much time looking at it, but the one thing that jumped out was how narrow the inside seemed.

I'm still having a hard time visualizing a broad market for the PMC when the very smallest PM is much larger and doesn't cost that much more. I understand some need or want the compact size and better fuel economy, but I have to think that is a limited number.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think you'll be seeing the same applications that folks have been using the Ford Transit Connect for the last few years. I see quite a few of the previous model Transit Connect in use around here for small repairs folks (beverage companies, copier repair, alarm companies, etc) that don't need a full size van, or even a minivan, but a sedan just doesn't work.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Saw that in the SLT cargo trim yesterday at Burnsville, MN. Dodge dealer.

Size? Think Chevy HHR in Junior High School. I bet it is a response to inner-city gridlock & $5 a gallon fuel in California & New York markets... Just gotta remember there is a couple of generations that never cruised in 396/402's or had the use of a 1968 Suburban for the summer. Dinky imports are the rule for penny-pinching young people - bet the PM City wagon etc. catches on there for sure...

·
Registered
625 Posts
If there's enough room to put a couple bicycles upright inside without pulling a front wheel off, that's another market to look at. Many cycling friends are looking for something like that. Used to go with the Honda Element, more recently the first gen Honda Fit, or sometimes the Subaru Forester. About 10 years ago in my life this would have been a top choice for me. Now I want to take along too much other stuff, and sleep in it, thus a van conversion. Maybe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Last year my wife bought a new Kia Soul.She of course loves it,and I have to admit,so do I.I told her last year that I wish they made one about 2+ feet longer so I would buy one,but of course they don't.But the PMCW slt is exactly the size I want.What's more,the back seat folds and tumbles for even more space to carry stuff....perfect.This is what I want,and this is what I'll buy as soon as they become available.I don't need a V6,or V8 powered pickups anymore so this for me will work out just right.And it doesn't look like any mini van on the road loaded down with seating like a school bus,lol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I certainly hope that Chrysler is doing a better job than Ford did on the first generation transit Connect as far as rustproofing, paint issues are concerned....

·
Registered
211 Posts
I certainly hope that Chrysler is doing a better job than Ford did on the first generation transit Connect as far as rustproofing, paint issues are concerned....
Fortunately for me where I live rust isn't a problem.I've never had paint issues with my previous dodge/ram ,or even back in the muscle car years in the 60's and 70's.I can't say the same with ford though.As far back as 1977 I had issues with the paint on a brand new Grenada,and water leaks,and dirty fuel system,and some in the electrics.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Fortunately for me where I live rust isn't a problem.I've never had paint issues with my previous dodge/ram ,or even back in the muscle car years in the 60's and 70's.I can't say the same with ford though.As far back as 1977 I had issues with the paint on a brand new Grenada,and water leaks,and dirty fuel system,and some in the electrics.

The only reason I brought that up is the fact that the first generation Transit Connect was built in Turkey, as the new PM City is.

One good thing though, Chrysler is using their North American drivetrain in the City where Ford went with Turkey engines and transmissions.....;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
The only reason I brought that up is the fact that the first generation Transit Connect was built in Turkey, as the new PM City is.

One good thing though, Chrysler is using their North American drivetrain in the City where Ford went with Turkey engines and transmissions.....;)
Good point.I've heard of engine/trans problems with the transit connect that are still a pain even on the new ones.Funny,I've been on ford's x-plan for decades and that is a decent discount on top of the best deal you can work with the salesman.Despite that,the connect just doesn't appeal to me.I can load up a connect platinum on the build and price,and with my discount it's several thousand less then the pmcw slt,but that isn't enough to make me want to buy it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Doblo' in Italy are absolutely rust free.
Also the previous series are durable...
Ugly, but good vehicles...
They have also won numerous awards in europe over the years.From what I have read about it,it's still a highly regarded work vehicle.I do wish we were given the option of a diesel here in the US.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would buy it today if they would bring the high roof model to the US.
I would imagine that once they start selling,and maybe start building them in North America,they just might offer it.It would make good business sense imho.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I own a Transit Connect no rust but, white paint on roof worn off in patches nothing but grey primer showing now. Van only 4 years old. Great little van but the multiple re-occurring issues is one of the reasons for purchasing the PM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts