Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We went to a local RV show this weekend. There was a (slightly used) 2019 Pleasure Way Lexor FL, which is a commercial van based on a Promaster 3500 chassis.

I was intrigued by the factory swivel seats, which seem to work really well -- I'd love to have a passenger-side factory swivel.

This is a general walk-through video with a couple of still shots of the seat bases and some of under the van.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, just quick video tour of a ProMaster based commercial RV made by Pleasure Way.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I like when people get a chance to see these in person and take the time to post vids and pics of how they're set up.
I don't know anyone who owns a class B campervan and have never seen one at the 2 RV dealers that I know of in my area.
So I can't just go look at one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the kind words . . . those were exactly my thoughts. Sorry for the crappy video . . . rolling around on the floor at the conference center to get shots underneath, waiting for people to move on so I can take videos inside . . . just for fun.

For more class B video tours, I just came across this fellow "Humble Road" on YouTube he has this playlist on Class B vans, looking at many of the features and layouts.:

He has lots of opinions . . . . but to be fair he gives reasons for most of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great vid. ?
No doubt I'd have that thing rattling in no time with the amount dirt roads? we travel, but a very nice RV, with some nice features, just the same.
Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
For next time though, if you could work on lighting, maybe some better action scenes and maybe get Sam Elliot to narrate, that would be good.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster Silver 1500 low roof
240 Posts
I used to own a 2012 PW Excel TS (Ford F250 V8 chassis). The layout and decor, etc. was very similar to the Lexor you filmed for us (thanks for that). I was told mine was new when I bought it. I don't really believe that now .. I got taken there and it spent the better part of 2 months after I bought it in the shop fixing basic stuff like driveworthiness issues.

Pleasureways are built in Saskatoon, their customer responsiveness is good and the quality is ok (some say the best but I have seen what some here and elsewhere online have done with their PMs and you beat them by a mile!). PW designs on the safe, for 'old retired people', stodgy side in my opinion and I am OLD. I guess it's ok if you like oak and corian, mind you - luckily, the old couple I sold it to did I guess. :)Btw .. that microwave may have been a convection microwave - mine was and I loved it. Never used the propane stove - ever! The electric beds are nice (and PW does use good 'ultraleather' and a lot of padding on them) but that one you filmed seemed to make a LOT of noise - mine was pretty well silent - and I have heard from some people that if the mechanism breaks it is not covered under warranty and is a nuisance and expensive to replace.

They are expensive to service - you have to go to places like Camping World - a simple pre-sales check cost me $1200 and took them weeks to complete - they are a nightmare - and then take it also to a Ford dealership which has bays high enough to get even oil changes done if you can't do your own (I can't). Gas mileage was ok for an RV but still only about 13 mpg on average. It was heavy, had no backup camera, no solar and no lithium (on mine - that one you shot seems to have had the newer lithium batteries) - boondocking was not really recommended with it. I am not a fan of having to empty gray and black tanks, winterizing, propane, built in generators, 3-way fridges (and levelling the van to be sure they work continuously).

Had it for almost 5 years, sold it with not quite 3k miles on the speedometer (one 'long-ish' trip - NC to Ottawa and back) at quite a loss, and honestly I really didn't know much about it or the systems when I bought it or sold it. Scary handling in the wind is also the reason why I won't buy a HT van now. That's why I have spent a year or more now learning about what really goes into a 'van' build and why I am going to build my own PM (as soon as I can find one still for sale) as much as I can myself or at least provide close supervision when things are out of my expertise. I know I am going to have MUCH more fun building, driving and camping in this next van!

George at Humble Road is one of my favorite YT channels. I have learned so much watching him learn while building Sprinters, PM's and even adding mods to his own PW. He's a meticulous skilled craftsman.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
You don’t need to worry about the high top being bothered by wind or meeting trucks. It is very good and stable.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Agreed. I drive mine in rush hour traffic twice p/day, M-F, constantly mingling with big rigs and a lot of the interstate and thruways I use run through flat areas with heavy cross winds.
I've never been startled or shaken up. This van handles it fine. I believe it's the streamline shape of the cab/front end, etc.
I think it's silly to get a low roof for camping/RV'ing unless you are under 5'5", or not spending much time in the van and just hauling your stuff and sleeping in it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Agreed. I drive mine in rush hour traffic twice p/day, M-F, constantly mingling with big rigs and a lot of the interstate and thruways I use run through flat areas with heavy cross winds.
I've never been startled or shaken up. This van handles it fine. I believe it's the streamline shape of the cab/front end, etc.
I think it's silly to get a low roof for camping/RV'ing unless you are under 5'5", or not spending much time in the van and just hauling your stuff and sleeping in it.
Thanks. Good to know the higher roof vehicles are not a problem after all in this brand but I am only 5'2" and not getting any taller with age so the low roof does indeed work fine for me. I can put in a decent thickness ceiling and floor and still walk in it upright.

There is potentially less storage space but I think I can deal with that. It should be a lot easier for me to get up to see the roof too if need be. I have considered whether resale down the line might be better with a high roof but it seems I am not the only short woman/person in the world so I expect there will be customers if the design works for others and the vehicle is in decent shape at that time, etc.

That said, the only local dealership refuses to even discuss a price for the PM I think I want - till they have the parts for and have fixed the current recall issues (which I am pretty sure will go on a lot longer than they say they think it will). They admit they 'could' sell the vehicle (it is not against the law) - but have put a stop sale on it anyway. I am frustrated right now but can't settle for a high roof and really don't want to have to buy from a dealership too far afield if I can help it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've heard the inside height of the low roof is 5'6". Should work out perfect for you. And I'd say you can still do upper cabinets in places where you don't have Windows, so you should be good.
My wife is 5' even. If I were 5-6" shorter, I would have gone with the low roof.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've heard the inside height of the low roof is 5'6". Should work out perfect for you. And I'd say you can still do upper cabinets in places where you don't have Windows, so you should be good.
My wife is 5' even. If I were 5-6" shorter, I would have gone with the low roof.
I stood in one which already had a wood floor and I still had several inches clearance. :)

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Actually there is more to height than not hitting your head. Space is a funny thing and height adds a sense of it especially in small spaces. Have you visited any tiny houses? Most are quite tall so you can psychologically avoid a sense of claustrophobia induced in time. If a high roof is not an issue for parking or for monetary reasons consider one even if you are short. I visited a low roof van when I was looking and could stand in one w/o hitting my head BUT as soon as I went into a high top I was sold. It may not matter for a weekend camper but we may be in ours for a month or more at a time and trust me I would come to hate that low top.

Reactions: Deryn and RnR

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,843 Posts
Deryn and RD are both correct. Everything decision in these builds seems to involve a trade-off.o_O

(Spellcheck changed "Deryn" to "Deranged". Glad I caught it—I don’t think Deryn is deranged in the least. :p)

·
Registered
240 Posts
:ROFLMAO: That's a first for me, MsNomer. Been called a lot of things but never that - to my face anyway. So funny!

Thanks ... to you and Baxsie .. I now feel as though I belong here! ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Deryn and RD are both correct. Everything decision in these builds seems to involve a trade-off.o_O

(Spellcheck changed "Deryn" to "Deranged". Glad I caught it—I don’t think Deryn is deranged in the least. :p)
I hate autocorrect

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts