Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just tried the Trix that I bought, it easily removed the rust particles. Just to it outside on a breezy day, it smells really bad, but more importantly it works.

Shake bottle, spray on, wait 5 min, rust turns purple, wipe it off, wash residue off. easy peasy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got roof rust, I was shocked to find yesterday.

CP

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Cut an opening in the roof? Many of us did. Chips from that job on the roof will look like **** and rust like it too. Clay bar off the roof, hand buff with a cleaner wax and you will be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a Fan-tastic fan put in professionally (local van conversion shop recommended by the Ram dealer) almost a year ago. Most, with the exception of a couple of strays, of the flecks of rust are in the area of the fan, but NOT right along the edge of the cuts/opening in the roof for the fan.

Are you saying that the flecks/chips of metal from the cutting shot into areas on the roof around it and those flecks/chips rust? And, that a clay bar will pull out the rusted flecks/chips and it can then be buffed smooth with wax, and that's it -- the actual sheets of metal that make up the roof are NOT rusting?

That would be cool if you are saying that! Not to mention, way less work than I feared would be required (like trying to get the dealer to warranty and repaint, or whatever, the whole roof) to fix it.

Thanks
CP

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are you saying that the flecks/chips of metal from the cutting shot into areas on the roof around it and those flecks/chips rust? And, that a clay bar will pull out the rusted flecks/chips and it can then be buffed smooth with wax, and that's it -- the actual sheets of metal that make up the roof are NOT rusting?
I'd say with 99% certainty that it's your problem. Those tiny bare steel pieces the saw or wheel leaves behind are notorious for doing that. One has to be extra careful when doing the cleanup, and even then it's tough to get them all.

A clay bar is great for many things, but I'm not so sure I'd use it in this case. Don't forget these are tiny little sharp pieces of steel, so a clay bar is going to remove them, but then possibly drag them across your paint. It would work, but you would have to be extremely careful. A good rust destroying acid will make short work of those rust spots, and will loosen their hold on your roof with no effort whatsoever. Here's an example on Amazon, but it can be purchased at most hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10501-Wood-Bleach-12/dp/B000VBGH82/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1491874200&sr=1-1&keywords=oxalic+acid

I have a lot of iron in my well water and it builds up over time after washing. I've been spraying all my vehicles (And white fiberglass boats) with this stuff for years with no harmful effects. Just pick a hot day, mix it with hot water (It has to be warm to work) and spray it on or wipe it on with a cloth. The rust will instantly dissolve and you'll just be left with the tiny specs of steel too wash away (Make sure to get them all, or the rust will come right back).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts