Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first FWD vehicle and I'm still struggling on how to deal with the ridiculous amount of torque steer this thing has. All my tires all precisely inflated to the correct psi. When I go to enter a highway this thing feels like it's gonna put you in the ditch when you gas it if you're not really holding on. And it's mainly just from a dead stop. I've even thought of lowering the air in the left tire to slow it down ever so slightly. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't do that! Unequal or lower side to side tire pressure is not a good idea in a truck (or any vehicle.) Maybe try slowing down a bit before you start the lane change or curve? There is actually a lot of power to deal with, especially if you are running with no load. On straight acceleration you will get used to it pretty soon. I drove a VW Eurovan for many years, also FWD - it does not feel the same as the Promaster.

However, if it is way crazy steering on acceleration, maybe there is a problem with a CV joint or the tie rod? Just guessing, and that is not something that would be common on a new vehicle, but could be quickly checked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I almost wrecked the first time I tried to pass a logging truck. Was going about 45 MPH and 1/2 way into the passing lane, passing gear kicked in and I had a big wobble. I had to back off. Next time I tried to pass I kicked in passing gear after I was going in a straight line.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
This is something that I have never ever encountered and I drive as fast and hard as possible. Maybe you should have the dealer check it out or maybe it just never bothered me.

Do any other people have this "problem"? Do you have gas or diesel?

·
Registered
473 Posts
On flat roads I don't have any problem with torque steer but I have noticed that crowned roads or worn out roads with tire track grooves in them really upset the steering during acceleration. I've driven other front wheel drive cars that are much worse though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have driven rear wheel drive vans and trucks for twenty years until getting the PM a little over a year ago. I still drive a RWD 2010 Sprinter 20,000 miles a year for work also. Our family vehicles have all been front wheel drive until our most recent, a 2015 Durango. So I have become familiar with torque steer also. Back in the eighties when most cars weren't making more than 200 horsepower, torque steer was not as noticeable. Over the years, as more and more horsepower has become available with newer vehicles, it has accentuated the torque steer feeling. Manufacturers have counteracted this by adding low profile tires with more meat on the road. The PM is no exception to this. It has lots of power available and if you apply it at the wrong time it can give a very strange feeling. That said, the traction control system does a relatively decent job of preventing catastrophic results even when making poor acceleration decisions. I think the tires are the weak link in the PM equation. I have considered replacing my Continental tires with something grippier, but so far have been too cheap to do so. It is manageable the way it is, you just have to keep in mind what you're driving.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,681 Posts
My husband has driven our 2014 gasser 136" about 15,000 miles now, much of it aggressively. I asked him about torque steer and he said, "Huh?"

It has been a habit with me for many years to occasionally release the steering wheel and make sure the vehicle drives true. The PM passes my test with flying colors.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Never noticed any torque steer, but then I drive my diesel rather calmly.

We have a Mini Cooper S as our 'small' car. More than enough power for a little car. You can really get into it and its fun, but it takes probably 80% throttle or more at slow speed to get torque steer. But when it shows up, it is a handful.

One of my previous cars was a Mitsubish Mirage Turbo. Wee lil' car with a 1.6l turbo engine. Many folks dropped in the 2.0 from the Eclipse. It had a massive intermediate shaft coming out of the transmission, ended up with equal length halfshafts. Zero torque steer. It was my first FWD car, I was wondering what all the clamor was about torque steer. Never experienced it until the Mini.

Hmm... now I wonder. I'll have to look under my PM, but I think the diesel has equal length halfshafts.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm a lead foot driver. I noticed lots of torque steer and traction control over rides.

I've backed off my lead foot in situations when I know it's going to happen.

I think it's more noticeable than any of my FWD drive cars because of low first gear for pulling heavy loads. Also easier to reproduce as you carry more weight

It's normal. Soon you'll adjust and it won't happen.

Come to think of it, I do recall one past car that torque steered big time when the turbo hit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've noticed it on irregular surfaces. I suspect the tires have a lot to do with it. The stock tires are very stiff and inflated to a very high pressure - they are literally rock hard. If the surface is irregular side to side then the center of the tire contact patch might not be in the center of the tire, and that will affect the steering.

Think of it as a "you are driving too aggressively" warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 136 Low and can say hands down this is the worst handling vehicle I have ever owned. I just returned from a 1500 mile trip loaded at about 1400 lbs. and felt serious torque steering and body roll when compared to the 2014 Sprinter High and the Nissan NV High. Both of which were loaded virtually identical to the PM. The load was myself, a passenger, and a 650 lb. motorcycle.

I am considering lowering the rear end and installing air bags along with a few other non suspension upgrades, but I'm not sure the PM is the van for me. It has many positive points, but handling is a safety issue.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,681 Posts
I have a 2015 136 Low and can say hands down this is the worst handling vehicle I have ever owned. I just returned from a 1500 mile trip loaded at about 1400 lbs. and felt serious torque steering and body roll when compared to the 2014 Sprinter High and the Nissan NV High. Both of which were loaded virtually identical to the PM. The load was myself, a passenger, and a 650 lb. motorcycle.

I am considering lowering the rear end and installing air bags along with a few other non suspension upgrades, but I'm not sure the PM is the van for me. It has many positive points, but handling is a safety issue.
I'm thinking something is wrong and needs to be fixed. My 2014 136" HR handles like a dream even with 50mph crosswind gusts.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Jc777, It's strange you have that feeling. I had a High long Sprinter and it was all over the road when loaded or in the wind. My 159 high Promaster feels absolutely stable overloaded and in wind as compared to the Sprinter. I feel a lot safer in the Promaster than the Sprinter for sure.
The Promaster sits lower to the road and is higher inside but lower outside than the Sprinter.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Seems odd? I can hold the steering wheel with one finger, if gunning it off the line, with out any problems.

I can't say I recall anyone complaining about this in a year plus being on this forum.

I'd say something is not quite right with yours.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure I have felt much of the torque steer, but I have a diesel engine and checked my tires after 6,000 miles no rotations my front passenger tire is wore down a little bit less than the front drivers so assuming the front passenger is the drive wheel which under hard acceleration my guess would pull steering to the right not sure about gas models? My back tires are still brand new :) going to rotate them this weekend (looks like they need it every 5,000 miles)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mainly get it when i need to enter traffic somewhat quickly. If you've driven in Baton Rouge even once you'll know what I'm talking about. Especially if there's gravel at the edge. It seems like some sort of stabilizer would help

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I think I see what you mean under the circumstances you described. Occasionally I even leave a little tire chirp when pulling out from a stop. The gas Promaster has a lot of torque and power off the line thanks to the combination of FWD and the gas engine. It's something to be expected, not a defect. In time you will learn to ignore it. I have no idea if the diesel feels the same way, however. I do believe the crappy Vanco tires add to this sensation. I can't wait to wear mine out!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no problem at all trying new tires. Can anyone confirm the effects of new tires as it relates to torque on our vans?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have no problem at all trying new tires. Can anyone confirm the effects of new tires as it relates to torque on our vans?

I have Bridgestone Blizzacs for winter and changed to some Michelins for my regular tires.

If you have the Vancos, it's night-and-day different. They are extremely hard, loud and have terrible traction. Might get higher mileage and wear well for most high mileage drivers but otherwise... Yuck. I know they'd break loose and spin at lots of intersections and on wet pavement too. Both of my other tires hold their grip much better when gunning it off the line.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
The other thing that would help in a wind/highway situation is a rear sway bar. I have heard Hellwig makes one and it is reasonable and should be a quick bolt on. I have a HT 136 diesel and have no wind/highway unsteadiness but that diesel has torque to snatch you around in low. With 8800 miles I have no discernible difference in tire wear. I too think your complaint is unusual for what I have experienced for this vehicle. INSPECT the suspension!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts