Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started wiring my van and am trying to decide what I need in the way of ceiling lights. Some of the things I'm trying to decide on include:

Number of lights
Wattage
Beam degrees

I don't want to over do it and kill the ambiance by flooding it with too much and too bright of lights.

My original idea was to have four ceiling lights in the living area, none over the bed at the back so it could be closed off with a curtain and be dark, and two lights over the kitchen counter area (mounted under the upper cabinets). Most people I see use about a 25w equivalent. Do you think this would be about right for a 159" van? I was going to use a warm light color as opposed to the brighter blue/white lights. Another thing someone suggested I think about is the angle of light. I see lights with beam angles ranging from 60 to 120 degrees. This person suggested a 60 degree angle but I'm sure that in the end it's a matter of preference, but I do like ceiling and can lights that are more focused and with less of a flood type pattern. Does anyone have any experience with the light thrown out by different beam angles?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
As demonstrated by my conversation w medicineman, a lot depends on your ceiling/wall surfaces. The lights that look great on his grey surfaces would make my largely white van look like an operating room.

Consider individually switched fixtures so you can turn on only what you want. Also consider fixtures which can be aimed.

We have recently added a small license plate light over the counter so MrNomer can make his breakfast before I get up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MsNomer I was searching for that discussion but couldn't find it. What type of lights did you you use, and how many?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJ634KK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 one as an under cabinet light over the counter and one at the very rear of the van above the back doors for the kids when they are on the top bunk. I also picked up this 3 pack https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Fixtu...0579662&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=rv+lights&psc=1 but only used 2 both on the ceiling in the main living area. my setup provides plenty of light and I like the fact they are all switch controlled at the light itself.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd suggest getting a 12v power source, waiting until dark and doing a test run on the actual
amount of light put out and general light placement.
Lighting is so important for overall mood I think.
Like others (MsNomer) I detest overhead lighting when I want to kick back and relax. Some of the builds
like Gary's and others with the LED strip lights at the crown area really look nice. I'm often involved in
detailed tasks (cleaning a camera sensor to name an important one) where I need the interior to be lit up
like a Christmas tree so I had to consider that too.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
The lights that look great on his grey surfaces would make my largely white van look like an operating room.
Oh would that be Sterile? LOL (inside joke folks, she knows)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts