Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On May 23, my

I have a 2015 Ram Promaster Diesel 2500 with 72000 miles. Bought it in 2015 with 3500 miles as a certified used vehicle. Vehicle has been kept in excellent condition, well maintained, with oil changes per factory recommendations.

On May 23, while driving at highway speeds of 70 -75 MPH, without warning there was a sudden and loud thud in the engine compartment and the vehicle began slowing very rapidly, as if brakes were being applied. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road. As the vehicle slowed and came to a stop, there was significant smoke and steam rising from the engine compartment. I was concerned that the vehicle was on fire, but luckily it was not. It smelled of burnt radiator fluid and burnt clutch plates. No was was injured and there was no other damages except to the powertrain.

The vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership and the tow operator had difficulty loading and unloading the vehicle since the engine and transmission were completely locked up and the drivetrain wheels would not turn. The vehicle is currently being repaired under 100,000 mile powertrain warrantee. I have been told they have put in a completely new powertrain: new engine, new clutch, new automatic transmission cluster, etc.

However, the vehicle is still not repaired and it's been in the shop going on 3 months and counting. This seems WAY too long.

·
Premium Member
7,802 Posts
Please ask what failed to cause this. I could be many things. Yours is the first full failure of a diesel we have had posted.
Is this a second post on this incident?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please ask what failed to cause this. I could be many things. Yours is the first full failure of a diesel we have had posted.
Is this a second post on this incident?
The best answer I have heard on why it failed and exactly what failed is they don't know.

Yes, I posted in the diesel forum and in the warranty forum. I thought the post deserved to be posted in both places considering it is: 1) a diesel issue, and 2) I had questions about warranty repair time frames.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not surprising. Probably can’t find all the parts now the diesel has been discontinued. I assume you have a case with FCA customer care - keep after them !
Yes, I have a case with FCA customer care. The rep calls me about twice a week to inform me on the progress (or lack thereof) of the repairs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with my FCA Rep yesterday. He tells me RAM is sending a TA (Technical Advisor) who is knbowledgable on this engine and transmission to the dealership next week to help work out the bugs of my van. Apparently they have installed a completely new engine, clutch tansmission, and transmission hydraulic actuator system. In other words, basically an entirely new drive train. But there is a persistent issue they can not seem to solve: in the D mode, the vehicle will shift from first into second gear and no more. The M mode works with fine, shifting through all the gears.

The vehicle has now been at the dealership for repairs for over 3 months... and counting.

·
Premium Member
7,802 Posts
The double post makes sense I guess. Have they replaced the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)? I believe it controls the shifting AND could have caused the problem you had. Without more information it is hard to guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is my final post on this subject. Also, I will not disclose specific details of a dealership since, in the end I was treated fairly andf I believe my issues have been fully resolved. But this was a very stressful experience and I am very disappointed how long it took to resolve a warrantee repair.

After waiting over 3 months and 3 weeks, I received a call from FCA that my van was repaired and ready to pick up. Considering it broke down several states away from my home and 840 miles away, I made the 14 hour trek to get it.

When I got to the dealership, I approached my vehicle and could immediately tell there were a number of things not right. Most of the exterior metal and plastic panels were not fitted correctly, with noticeable gaps or overlapping sections. This was not how I left the vehicle. Also, there were wires hanging down under the engine where no wires should be hanging. The plastic fender wheels were melted from what appearewd to be tire damage. When I openned the driver door, the floor was covered in a thick layer of mud. I opened the engine hood to inspect the engine. Brackets were bent or mangled. The oil dipstick could not be inserted completely, with the last 6 inches sticking out. The engine coolant resivior was dangerously empty. I then went to insert the key in the ignition. The dash ignited with warnings. I tried to start the engine. A strange clicking noise came from the dash. The starter cranked over slowly and then stopped, the battery was dead.

Needless to say I was not happy at all. I had just driven over 14 hours and 840 miles to pick up my repaired vehicle and it was far from repaired. Worse, it looked like it have been abused and put together by complete incompetants. I called over the general manager of the dealership and calmly pointed out the issues I found. He promised the issues would be fixed by the next day. They offered me a loaner car and to pay for food and hotel expenses. My vehicle was not fixed the next day, or the one after that.

To make a long story shorter, on the second day, I was able to negotiate a buyback with the dealer. Also, FCA did end up reimbursing my rental car expenses and towing costs. So I can not complaiin too much on the end results.

All this considered, I have lost trust in FCA vehicles. This RAM Promaster was my first one, and I will not purchase a RAM vehicle again. The manufacturing quality and after sales support is just so bad or terrible on so may levels. I have since purchased a Ford Transit cargo van with a gas engine. It seems like a much higher quality vehicle overall. I have owned a number of Ford vans in the past, and they have all been good vehicles, not perfect, but good.

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts