Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have heard people talk about how the PM drives but I want to know how they (3.6 engine) drive with a full or just a good 2000-3000lbs load drive since that is why most of us will be using these vans for. I test drove one from the dealer but it being empty does not give me the real world condition I would be using it for. You guys that have already started using them please chime in. Iam still waiting to test drive a diesel before pulling the trigger.

I will be using it for service. Hauling tools and shelves full of parts. Driving about 700 miles a week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another thing I would like to know is what it's like with a heavy load like that going on a steep incline and decline, just to get an idea of what to expect.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
To add onto both of those, I wonder how the van behaves with a heavy load in states like Colorado. The fact that the Pentastar is a normally aspirated engine does concern me, especially at higher elevations.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Non problem with big loads on the snow. Better if you have the TC active in the correct way. Here they sell the Ducato with the optional TractionPlus that simulate a auto locking differential. I hunderstand that this feature in standard on the Promaster but you have to study very well the user manual to activate it in the correct way.
I use my Ducato on Italian Dolomites and I learn that the most important thing in to choose the best winter tires. The make don't matter: the most important thing on fresh snow in the design of the tire:
Good:

Bad:

I discover that when the tire have a continuous line of rubber along the board the tire has no traction on the snow. Probably will be better on dry roads, but on the snow they are wrong (I use Michelin and Pirelli with this design).
At the end, a FWD van is better than a RWD on snow.
The key thing is to centralize the load on the vehicle.
During the winter often I have to go to meet express couriers that use Daily and Sprinters, because they have problems on the snow also using winter tires (mandatory in Northern Italy) and they don't want to mount chains...
Consider also that we have already on the European market the 4 tons Ducato, that is almost the same of your bigger Promasters...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good info I guess BUT that was not what I was looking for. I'm looking for info like Ram3500 and mlts22 was asking.... How it acts with heavy loads on incline and decline roads. Like on incline does it down shift a lot.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the tire design is important but so is the rubber compound

its needs to be able to still be sticky in cold and wet temps and even ice.

The pattern is important for snow traction.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You are right, the compound is very important, but a good design can make you forget the chains in many situations...

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's good info I guess BUT that was not what I was looking for. I'm looking for info like Ram3500 and mlts22 was asking.... How it acts with heavy loads on incline and decline roads. Like on incline does it down shift a lot.
No doubt with 6 speeds it's going to grab a gear or 2 or 3 when hitting the mountains. I drove I-80 east from Sacramento into some decent grades and it handled them easily in 5th, but it was empty with no load.

What may concern me more is cooling capacity. I drive over 8500 ft Sierra-Nevada passes in high 90's temps in the summer. You need a big radiator for that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Only time will tell.
Engines tend to run hot in situtations like climbing with heavy loads. Doesnt help when temps are sky high in general.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Only time will tell.
Engines tend to run hot in situtations like climbing with heavy loads. Doesnt help when temps are sky high in general.
same with transmissions.
hopefully the transmission was over built so we don't run into any serious problems later on

·
Registered
166 Posts
y'all know the skinniest winter tire will give you the best traction.. it cuts through the snow better than a wide tire with a big footprint...

just a suggestion...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts