Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a new PM. But am used to Honda and Toyota quality. Will I be bummed about the quality/finish of the PM?

I'm not talking so much about engine etc., but more about just the finish quality. For instance, something like the fan knob in a Honda is all precision; actually every knob/switch in it is a dream to turn. I checked out some PMs and PMCs; was more impressed with the finish of the PM over the PMC (pmc dash and controls were terribly cheesy imo), but the PM was still no honda...

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Ditto MsNomer. I have an older Toyota 4 runner (2002) & F150 just sold, Suzuki 4X4, BMW motorcycles, Mazda MX5 and I have to say I am not that impressed with any as they age. They all keep working but they all wear, become loose and the surfaces patina. As a friend I used to carpenter with would say..... It ain't no grand piano. Much if the Toyota love is about their longevity but remember its $22 for a water pump for the Ford and $85 for the Toyota. And yes they will both need one before I get through with them. Love them for what they are. Ditto for the Promaster.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Perfect description. It ain't no grand piano. But it's light years ahead of my 2000 e350! I own a few Hondas. They are fantastic. If Honda built a cargo van it would be similar to the PM. Except much better ;-)

For a cargo van it's very nice.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I have had two Prius's and an Accord and must say you are overstating a bit. Fit and finish, knobs/switches are all just adequate on Hondas and Toyotas.

I evaluated all three cargo vans and came to the realization that the teams of designers and engineers that are assigned to these brands' other vehicles are probably 2-3 times as large as the teams assigned to the cargo vans.

But I do love my Promaster.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I guess I see what you are driving at, but from my perspective the pm overdelivers on the interior. It has its quirks, but i havent put any vidible wear in it in 104k of constant use. My other pm had 88k on it when i bought it, and it looked like brand new as well. Very happy with the interior overall.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There is a lot to brag about and a few things that could be better. Overall, my former 2011 Toyota Tacoma was no better, and worse in some ways.

For me, the fit and finish of the dash is great. The heater knobs are simple and feel great. Radio is simple. Knobs that feel good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the responses!

On the subject, 2 more questions:
- How are the seats comfort-wise?
- Is not having tilt-wheel ever an issue with the wheel at that angle?

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts

I have a sciatica problem (due to a disk hernia), and I normally can't sit too long. But, for some reason, I can drive my PM for days and not feel any pain. Love its comfort.

·
Registered
253 Posts

I'm 6'3" and 260#. The seat and steering wheel position is different from anything else I've ever driven. After my first test drive I had real questions as to whether I would be able to get used to it. I tend to be long in the legs and arms. I have the seat set all the way back and nearly as high as it will go. This puts my hands on the bottom half of the wheel normally. If you are a ten and two death grip driver, you may have to adjust to this more relaxed driving position. I have grown accustomed to the seating and wheel position. Its second nature now. I migrate from my Sprinter to my PM daily without giving it a second thought. There is actually a benefit of having the wheel more upright. It makes the driver's seat more spacious for entry and exit.

·
Registered
888 Posts

I had the same concerns. I'm 6'2 and tend to slouch everywhere I sit. I hate sitting upright on planes.

I'm thrilled to say I can drive longer and feel more comfortable in the PM than any other vehicle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just wanted to add... At 6'4 this is possibly the most comfortable vehicle I have driven. I keep thinking that once the excitement wears off that I'll begin to feel driver fatigue but it hasn't happened. I absolutely love not feeling "crammed in". I love the isle room and when I'm sitting in the van idling I'll lean against window with my legs crossed or propped up on the passenger seat. Works out good because my wife has that seat rather low. At first I wasn't a fan of the low cup holders but now I'm glad they're out of the way of my feet and tucked in. I love all the places to cram stuff- the little "shelves" around the dash and the door pockets and the overhead shelf. In time I have found use for most of them. A lot of comments about the screen being too small, I'll agree but I came from an 07 Chevy which was nearly the same size so I prob don't know what I'm missing with the new bigger radio screens.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I love the seating position. It offers great visibility. Seats are comfortable. Lumber and heat are awesome. I just wish it had more left leg room.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am 6'1"/ 200lbs of pure muscle agile/virile... oops dreaming again where was I? Oh anyways, I have the passenger double seat/partition driving position is great visibility is great more comfortable than my Nissan Titan. Build quality? I looked at Cedes/Transit thought build quality better but? Overall the simplicity of the dash/large controls/storage etc.. won out over my fear of build quality. All in all a great all around package for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Comfort - The seats are not fancy but they are functional. I've done a couple trips that were 1300 - 1400 km in one stretch (about 15 hours) stopping only for fuel (for me and for the van). No problem.

Instruments and controls - again, not fancy, but functional. There are no fancy soft-touch instrument panel textures and there is no carpet on the floor. But it all works. The switchgear all clicks nicely into place and the HVAC controls all operate nicely enough and the door locks and latches operate nicely. As for not having carpet on the floor ... Spill your coffee, or go into the vehicle with muddy boots on, and then let me know whether you really like having carpet on the floor in a functional vehicle.

The Uconnect system is exactly the same as any other Chrysler product with the smaller of the two Uconnect systems. I've never had any other vehicle with this fancy stuff so I can't compare them myself. People say that Uconnect is among the better of the infotainment systems.

The van is quiet and rides well enough for what it is. 2 tons of load capacity and light truck rated tires with stiff tread and very high inflation pressures mean there is only so much that can be done.

I've found that the stuff in the van squeaks and rattles far more than the van itself ...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love the seating position. It offers great visibility. Seats are comfortable. Lumber and heat are awesome. I just wish it had more left leg room.
A friend of mine, member on here, has hip issues and needs to be able to move his legs around while driving. He removed an under dash, left side cover, and the tray at the bottom of the door for more room there. Might check this out for some extra spread out room

·
Registered
61 Posts
First of all, thanks for all the reviews, I am 6'2", 225, have some back trouble, and have been a little concerned about long trip comfort. Great to hear from others with similar situations!

... in 104k of constant use. My other pm had 88k on it when i bought it....
:eek: You have put just under 200,000 miles and a vehicle that came out last year? Don't you ever sleep? :)

I gotta ask, why did you get rid of the first one at 104000 miles?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Its true - I do have two promasters. I do expedited freight, which means about 110,000 miles a year.

The 2nd pm i bought used. It never occured to me that you could buy a used 1 year old vehicle, but I found one and got a great deal on it. According to the dealer (same dealer who sold it new) the guy used it to haul plate glass and traded it in on a bigger diesel pm.

As to seats and seating position; it takes some getting used to, and i can see where very big/tall guys would have a problem with it. But i love it. I love the seat itself too, but someday ill upgrade to a powered seat. One way to avoid fatigue and stiff body is to constantly change the seating position, and a power seat makes this easy. Luckily, its a flat floor so adapting ANY make of seat to it will be easy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts