Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We find the road noise in our Promaster City to be almost unbearable on rougher highways.
We have a floor mat but looking at the Legend Durotherm liners for wall, ceiling and doors.
We don't need the thermal protection as much as sound deadening.
How are folks finding the Legend panels work for sound reduction?
Our floor is a 1" thick rubber mat but walls and ceiling are still bare metal.

If the Legend rep Kyle is still on the forum would love to hear from him too.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I’ve moved this thread to the City forum as it is City specific

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve moved this thread to the City forum as it is City specific
Actually it is specifically about Legend Brand liners, which several have used for their Promaster full size.
I am wondering how Promaster owners who have used that product feel about it for sound.
No one in the City forum has yet used those panels.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
It’s safe to assume that the product may work entirely different in a small vehicle like a City vs a huge Promaster van. Let’s compare apples to apples. A product that may do a fantastic job in one application may be terrible in another.

If you want to know how they will work in a City van then it’s best to ask people what have a City van.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s safe to assume that the product may work entirely different in a small vehicle like a City vs a huge Promaster van. Let’s compare apples to apples. A product that may do a fantastic job in one application may be terrible in another.

If you want to know how they will work in a City van then it’s best to ask people what have a City van.
I was actually concerned with the general quality of the Legend product, not specific to the City. I guess I can repost an just omit the City mention.
There are several full size folks who bough the liners from Legend and have experience to share.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I was actually concerned with the general quality of the Legend product, not specific to the City. I guess I can repost an just omit the City mention.
There are several full size folks who bough the liners from Legend and have experience to share.
Just make another general post in the regular forum and don’t mention City and you’ll have all the bases covered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed the Legend liners in my 2017 ProMaster 136 high-top over the last couple of weeks. I drove several hundred miles with the van in different stages of the build-out so each change in sound quality was easy to identify.
  • As delivered, completely empty: sounds like being in an empty tin drum.
  • With 80 mil butyl sound deadening mat covering approximately 50% of the wall and door surfaces (none on roof or floor): definite improvement in quieting down the tin drum effect.
  • 1 inch foam laminated to 3/4 inch plywood glued to floor: noticeable reduction on road noise and reduction of internal echo.
  • 1 inch foam glued to ceiling: further reduction on internal echo and road noise.
  • Legend wall, door and ceiling liners installed over un-faced fiberglass insulation : sounds like I'm in my SUV!

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the Legend liners in my 2017 ProMaster 136 high-top over the last couple of weeks. I drove several hundred miles with the van in different stages of the build-out so each change in sound quality was easy to identify.
  • As delivered, completely empty: sounds like being in an empty tin drum.
  • With 80 mil butyl sound deadening mat covering approximately 50% of the wall and door surfaces (none on roof or floor): definite improvement in quieting down the tin drum effect.
  • 1 inch foam laminated to 3/4 inch plywood glued to floor: noticeable reduction on road noise and reduction of internal echo.
  • 1 inch foam glued to ceiling: further reduction on internal echo and road noise.
  • Legend wall, door and ceiling liners installed over un-faced fiberglass insulation : sounds like I'm in my SUV!
I looked through your photos and thank you for posting. What are the small insulated strips you pasted under the panels and along the wheel wells? Do small panels like that help and should I
put on my City before the panels? Where did you get them?
One concern I have is that the panel kits don't cover the wheel wells and that they likely create a lot of the noise. Would covering them completely help or do the small pads do the job?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have just added beach towel over expanding curtain rod behind front seats.....it has improved noise level but not eliminated noise....I am running radio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sprayed Lizardskin acoustic and thermal on the bottom and wheel wells. Put 3M insulation in the walls where possible to hide (and in the "secret" storage behind the seats and under the floor.

That alone made a significant difference.

Then I came in on top of that with a yoga mat glued to a polyiso board glued to a 5/8th plywood sheet sandwich (bottom to top). The sandwich was the base of my camper boxes.

No more road noise now than what you hear in your average mid-range sedan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts