Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the passenger door is unlocked, the only way I can lock it is with the key fob. If the passenger door is unlocked, I can lock it while inside with the dash locking button, however, when I open the drivers door, it unlocks the passenger door. The only way I have figured out to totally lock the vehicle is to use the fob.

The key FOB is too big to carry around in my pocket so I want to carry just the key. I called RAM about this and they said that doesn't sound right and they are investigating, gave me a case number, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Anyone having the same problem?

·
Registered
386 Posts
wait so if the passenger door is unlocked. you can't lock it with the lock button and close the door?

are you trying to get the doors locked from the outside without the fob?

·
Registered
104 Posts
racer Mine works the same exact way. I also would rather carry the smaller key with out the fat as## fob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wait so if the passenger door is unlocked. you can't lock it with the lock button and close the door?

are you trying to get the doors locked from the outside without the fob?
If the drivers door is open, the dash button is inactive, it won't do anything unless the drivers door is closed. But as I stated above, the passenger door unlocks when you open the drivers door.

And yes, I'm trying to lock the doors from the outside without the fob. The only way I can do it now is to use the fob to lock all the doors, then use the key to open the drivers door and put the fob inside (to keep from having to carry it), then close the door and use the key to lock it.

Does this sound like something that you would design? :eek: I'm beginning to believe that this is exactly the way it has been designed! :( Go figure :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
racer Mine works the same exact way. I also would rather carry the smaller key with out the fat as## fob
How long do you think that fob is going to last in my pocket when I'm crawling around in crawl space under a house? I guess that's why they give you three fobs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you lock the back doors with the button on the door handle then close the drivers door and lock it with the key the passenger door will lock at the same time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is a crazy idea What if u Velcro the fob to the door or lower part of the dash where it can't be seen from the outside but easy to reach from the seat and use it to lock the doors and carry the small key in your pocket

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is a crazy idea What if u Velcro the fob to the door or lower part of the dash where it can't be seen from the outside but easy to reach from the seat and use it to lock the doors and carry the small key in your pocket
Sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't have to worry much about doing something like that. Might be different for others

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I called RAM and after some research, they told me this is the way the locks are supposed to work. At least that's what they told me. Go figure?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I called RAM and after some research, they told me this is the way the locks are supposed to work. At least that's what they told me. Go figure?
well they are crazy then. what i might look into doing is removing fuse for power locks.. or better yet making the computer think that the front door is locked even when it opens.

i need to be able to lock the car running.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ME and my great ideas I just tried this and it does not work on the Promaster. All the doors must be shut for the fob to lock the doors. I am sorry for giving bad info. This method does work on my other vehicles but not on the Promaster.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you lock the back doors with the button on the door handle then close the drivers door and lock it with the key the passenger door will lock at the same time.
This worked for me. Another alternative would be after locking all doors while still inside the PM, go out the back doors (provided you don’t have a wall partition model of course) & lock the back door manually with your key…

·
Registered
238 Posts
i decided my solution would be to remove the passenger door handle...then lock the drivers door physically with the second key...done...problem solved

1 - 20 of 22 Posts