Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an East Penn Deka AGM size 8D which is about 230 amp hours. Has been in service a couple of years with no problems. I have used the same on boats with no problems.

·
Registered
625 Posts
200ah of LiFePo batteries. Purchased from AM Solar a couple years ago. Work great. Have had them drained all the way down and the BMS catches that and trips the system off to prevent damage. Charge back up, no problem. Really like that they are MUCH smaller and lighter than an equivalent AH of lead-acid batteries, and I get ~180ah of usable power out of them. Admittedly, it was a costly way to go initially, but worth it for us in the long run. (back to space and weight considerations)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,001 Posts
Hi,

I use two Costco flooded lead acid golf cart batteries in series. They are 6 volts, 220 amp-hrs, $90 each, and 60 lbs each.

The attraction for me is half the price of AGMs and they last longer.

Downsides are that the battery box has to be vented to the outside (a half hour job), and you have to add water once in a long while. My feeling on adding water once in a while is that I want to take a look at the batteries at least every six months just to make sure the terminal bolts are tight and there is not a lot of corrosion going on, and checking the water level and maybe adding a little water adds a couple minutes to the inspection -- being retired, I can afford a couple minutes every 6 months :)

But, the place to start on selecting batteries is to figure out what your daily loads will be and how many days you want to be able to run off batteries. This will give you the size of battery you will need.
Here is one way to do it: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/design.../sizing-electrical-components-for-camper-van/
Depending on what your electrical loads are and how long you want to be able to run without charging, you house batteries could be anywhere from a 100 amp-hrs up to 500+ amp-hrs.

Gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
Single 125Ah Lifeline AGM. Just finishing installing/wiring this coming weekend. Comes from my previous van, it is about 5 yrs old, works well. I am very light power user. Small fridge, occasional light, some phone / camera / laptop charging (always trying to get everything charged while driving). Can last 3 days, with no solar.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MsNomer you must be wired in parallel, so you started with 12v batteries.
John Cissel I went the 2 x 6v route with these-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MOR58A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in series for the requisite 12v and a total of 225ah.
So far ours have never dipped below 96% according to the Victron but we are always hopping to somewhere else
after 2-3 days and our juice requirements are minimal.
I'm a complete newb at electricity. Just one of the things I've never bothered with. So when you wire two, 6v in series you don't combine the amp hours like you would two, 12v in parallel?
MsNomer you must be wired in parallel, so you started with 12v batteries.
John Cissel I went the 2 x 6v route with these-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MOR58A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in series for the requisite 12v and a total of 225ah.
So far ours have never dipped below 96% according to the Victron but we are always hopping to somewhere else
after 2-3 days and our juice requirements are minimal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 4x AGM 6v 220ah Lifeline batteries from batteryguys.com. For a total of 440ah. still compiling all of my electrical components so yet to test out my needs. I'll also have 360 watts of solar (with room to go up to 540) to charge them. Needed to build solar/electrical for ND winters.
https://batteryguys.com/collections/lifeline/products/lifeline-gpl-4ct
So would I be right to say you wired two 6v pairs in series then wired those pairs together parallel to get the 440 ah?

·
Registered
468 Posts
currently I have one sams club Duracell AGM group 31 size that's rated at 105 ah only $180 bucks and a very common battery that can be found and replaced easily while traveling if need be. I have been thinking about putting another under the passenger seat but unless I pick up a 12v fridge or another high draw device I don't see the need. it runs the lights/USB ports and Maxx fan just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 4 x Full River DC224-6 AGM 6V for 448 AH @ 12V plus 300 watts solar with a Bluesky Solar Boost 3000i MPPT controller. Only time I even have to think about power is in winter with the Espar running all the time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
2 100AH Stark Power LiFePo4 batteries charged by stock alternator. 10-20% of capacity used per day depending on Espar furnace usage. A days usage is recharged in 45 - 90 minutes of driving.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
I’m different I guess. 2 6volt Golf Cart 215 A-H Sam’s Club DuraCell (west Penn) FLA’s wired in series for 12 volt. $168 and have been using them for 2 years and they are wonderful. Use 25-30% overnight and recharge with 200 Watts of Renogy solar in 2-3 hours. FLA should outlast AGM, are less than half price and are easily vented if you feel the need.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...p-size-gc2/prod3590228.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m different I guess. 2 6volt Golf Cart 215 A-H Sam’s Club DuraCell (west Penn) FLA’s wired in series for 12 volt. $168 and have been using them for 2 years and they are wonderful. Use 25-30% overnight and recharge with 200 Watts of Renogy solar in 2-3 hours. FLA should outlast AGM, are less than half price and are easily vented if you feel the need.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...p-size-gc2/prod3590228.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1
In my case with confined space, sealing and venting would have been a pain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts