Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased it last week in northeast Texas (I live in Dallas).

Van was involved in a buyback. I purchased it for around $9K below the the original base price. Waiting on dealer to resolve a couple outstanding issues before picking it up. (Transmission computer and power folding windows).

See original window sticker in my garage. This is the diesel model.

I understand there were a lot of 2014 buybacks. I'm willing to let Promaster dealers work through the issues (I have a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year extended warranty as well).

I test drove it twice at the dealer, short rides. I really like it, especially the automatic shifting.

It is white. I plan to convert it into a camper van but still have it functional as home/hobby supplies/materials/equipment hauler.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
These buyback vans should have been through a rigorous FCA fix and testing. I hope they got it right. I don’t think we have any idea how many of them there were but we had 4 or 5 (IIRC) here for emissions systems issues. There have been posts here about the ATM transmission but that seems to be unusual on our site. Do you know what the buyback was for? BTW there were 2014 diesels that accumulated lots of miles and had no issues.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Original buyer completed about check engine light and shifting problems.

Around 5000 miles on it.

During my test drives the check engine was on. (Salesman said it was because they had to jump it).

The service team told me the error was shifting related, so they ordered a new shifting control module.

So I found 2 issues they need to resolve: 1) check engine light 2) power folding mirror problems

Have not heard back on #2 , they are aware of it and have agreed it needs fixing.

One separate issue I have is while I was able to get a carfax on the VIN, when I go to the government recall site the VIN causes an error, so no recall records are found. I had problems getting insurance as well (was able though) as the insurance VIN searches came up empty.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buyback was for a transmission failure. Would not shift properly and left the driver stranded on a long trip. Found that out when I called FCA customer support to expedite getting the replacement module. FCA seems better at disclosing the dealer. I don't think there was any rigorous testing done. I like the ATM transmission from the little I tried it. I have a fully automatic transmission in a '93 diesel Chevy van, and that shifts very violently if you don't anticipate and let off on the pedal. The 6 speed robotic manual seems very smooth in comparison.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have the same van minus the DOT kit and back-up sensors. It was a left over sitting on a lot at the end of 2015. I had the dealer install side t-vent windows and paid a little below base price. So far we have around 10k mi. a mostly complete camper conversion and no regrets.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, grrr.... Was informed this morning that FCA had bought back my vehicle again, and undid the sales deal. Since I'd not paid anything for it yet I decided not to fight it. Oh well. Ended up test driving a 2017 Ram ProMaster 1500 Low Roof Van Cargo Van today, 136" WB - LOW ROOF. I was able to get a discount through a new car buying incentive from my employer, so I went ahead and got it. Not diesel, not high roof, and not as long, but size wise it will suffice for what I plan to use it for. (And I won't have find 2 end to end parking spaces every where I go). It came with a towing hitch and a few other items I would have wanted to add to the 3500 had I ended up getting it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That 136" low roof gasser is likely the perfect Urban Assault Vehicle for sure!

Bought-back? Ouch ... or they sold it out from under you (unlikely)... or they can't sell a diesel to save their hides (likely)...

Best of luck & we're looking forward to hearing more!

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
As always she who has spoken ^^^^ is probably right. Enjoy your new van.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts