Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm planning on travelling to Northern Alberta and BC this summer and I will be on some long stretches of gravel. Can any one recommend a windshield, hood protection? I heard about clearview film, but I cannot believe this can protect your glass from flying rocks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I will be on some long stretches of gravel.
And speaking of long stretches of gravel . . . we just experienced our first multi-hour foray with gravel near Ouray, Colorado and were overwhelmed by the amount of dust that overtook everything on the inside . . . we assume this is normal, but what a disaster . . . makes us not want to explore the off-road country. Hey Steve, how do you do it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most insurance policies include repairable windshield chip/crack coverage without the deductible applying. We just had our chips filled free of charge, Progressive even scheduled the Safelite tech for us.

I regularly (3-6 months) touch up all the chips on the hood and around the headlights. The Promaster front end is definitely prone to taking rock strikes. We did the pacific NW and BC in winter when they use gravel on the main roads for traction...

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And speaking of long stretches of gravel . . . we just experienced our first multi-hour foray with gravel near Ouray, Colorado and were overwhelmed by the amount of dust that overtook everything on the inside . . . we assume this is normal, but what a disaster . . . makes us not want to explore the off-road country. Hey Steve, how do you do it?
A friend of mine in Australia told me that his Ducatto had that problem, he told me that the dust entered by the backdoor. If you google this issue you might find similar stories, I'm not sure if this has been corrected by Chrysler. Last year I drove through Algoquin Park in gravel roads and didn't have that problem.
Of course assuming that the door is well closed, which sometimes is not.

·
Super Moderator
10,681 Posts
Even after the rear door lock recall I still get dust in thru the rear doors while driving on dirt roads. Not terrible but enough to be too much ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've had dust come in not through the rear doors, but through the 'drainage' bits along the bottom edges of the floor. Where the black triangular plastic bits are. Especially noticeable coming in from the few behind the rear wheels.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've never really had a serious dust infiltration issue. What dust I've seen (inside) has been under/just inside the back door, so you might need to adjust the rear door latch? One other possible factor - I never have either of my MaxAir fans running or open while driving in dusty conditions, also the front windows are always closed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On my Alaska trip the front window took a big hit from debris off an oncoming gravel truck in BC. Had a temporary repair done in Dawson Creek, replacement (covered by insurance) done when I got home - no "out of pocket" because Kentucky exempts glass replacement from any deductible. Not much you can do as far as prevention, it's just part of the "experience" and you might just be lucky. Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here is one idea that might help reduce dust infiltration. Keep everything closed up and run the dash heater/AC fan on a high setting to slightly pressurize the van. Carry couple of spares for the under hood filter and change/clean the filter frequently.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
...Can any one recommend a windshield, hood protection? I heard about clearview film, but I cannot believe this can protect your glass from flying rocks.
I'm not familiar with the product you mention, but i have used a product by Xpel.com for paint protection on my last three vehicles (i just brought the PM back from the install shop today with the hood protection). For me it is a way to add resale value to the rig(s) and keep the finish nice.

Thom

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi accrete,
I ended up buying a hood cover at amazon for $ 80. It did protect from tons of bugs! It's worth it.
I know Xpel, I installed on my car and on the previous one too. The installer told me it's much better than 3M film.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Instead of putting a safety layer on it I had Safelite replace the windshield after the stone hit it. A new windshield once in a while gets a clean surface inside and outside! Just consider it a maintenance item! $420

·
Banned
413 Posts
Anyone care to venture a guess at the "right" color of plastidip to match the grey lower body moldings?

I've got so many rock hits in my hood already. I've touched them up with OEM paint but I think a longer term, easier to do, and cheaper fix would be to plastidip the hood the same color as the body moldings, which are the same color as the grille.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts