Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put almost 2000 miles on my PM in the last week! Drove for two days down into central Florida to visit with family. Took I 95 most of the way juts to be different! I rarely take interstates. Traffic was light and stress low. At a steady 70 mph most of the way the PM got a poor (IMO) 18.6 mpg. But it ran and handled great. Stayed for four days and drove back. This time I took route 301 most of the way home. Got on it in central Fl. and got off 301 in Va.! Its like the east coast answer to old Route 66. Slowed down to 55-60 for much of this stretch. Gas mileage went up to 21.6 at the lower speed. Wind resistance does go up as a squared function of speed! A little extra speed makes for a lot more aerodynamic drag. Got home late this afternoon. The PM ran like a champ. Very enjoyable drive! Gotta wash it tomorrow!

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Actually the air resistance is proportional to the CUBE of the speed. Double the speed and air resistance is 8 times (2X2X2) as much.
Just say’n

IGNORE the above and read the helpful coments following.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
:eek:Oh I hate how your mind forgets stuff and makes up other stuff to replace it! My Physics Profs all turned in their graves this morning I bet! Turns out my elementary teacher was right I will never amount to anything!
So if I go three times a fast it’s only 9 times as much resistance? No wonder when I was going 85 the other day the the computer started reading 22.6 on my diesel!
I thank you for the correction and I have hit the "Thanks" button too. My education will never be complete since at this rate I’m forgetting stuff faster than I can possibility learn it.

****, ****, ****, ************!

·
Registered
104 Posts
:eek:Oh I hate how your mind forgets stuff and makes up other stuff to replace it! My Physics Profs all turned in their graves this morning I bet! Turns out my elementary teacher was right I will never amount to anything!
So if I go three times a fast it’s only 9 times as much resistance? No wonder when I was going 85 the other day the the computer started reading 22.6 on my diesel!
I thank you for the correction and I have hit the "Thanks" button too. My education will never be complete since at this rate I’m forgetting stuff faster than I can possibility learn it.

****, ****, ****, ************!
:D:D Merry Christmas RD

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well. I was a nuc plant tech, not a aerodynamicist. Thanks for the schooling guys. That was the point I tried poorly to make. Was too busy to wash it today. Hitting 70 tomorrow. That's my chance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts