Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bearfoot thanks.
LUVERNE GRIP STEP RUNNING BOARDS
https://www.realtruck.com/luverne-grip-step-running-boards/R184733P2017Y2715MA.html

We saw either these Laverne's or something very close to them on MsNomer's build and instantly knew it was
the type for us. We live in an inclement area for ice/snow/sleet/hail/and seemingly always rainy....so anything plastic
coated was not what we wanted.
I'll say this though, on these Laverne's you'll not want to tarry on them for long barefoot.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Busy lately with some non-campervan trips but did get a couple of projects done
recently.
One, the TV has a permanent location. After trying a total of four positions over three trips
we've decided on this one pictured as the best. Since we never watch TV in bed, and always watch
from a seated position this location simply works when we swivel around.
Two, our pillars are done! It's a big deal to us because we finally decided on the material, the application
and can next move to the crown area of wall/ceiling junction. Let it be know that diamond plate can bend
and in several planes! We like it so much we plan to do the crown in diamond plate as well.
The step for the platform bed entry had diamond plate but we re-did it and it now fits better and has a lip.
Soon enough the battery box will also get diamond plated :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can you give some details on the AC install and how it performs? What unit?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roblee we have the Coleman Mach 8 Cub. Performance is great in Florida at 93F. Install was super easy.
We'd had the outfitter in Asheville to cut the 'big' holes but the aircon wiring we did ourselves. It was
easy.
In Ontario we did give the heat strip a go and like Airxcel says it really is to knock a chill off and not act
as a heater.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,562 Posts
Where did you get the diamond plate?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,562 Posts
That curve on the slider c pillar looks good, did you do that?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I didn't do that and yes, we think the way the diamond plate follows the curves and angles is fantastic.
A young (23 is very young to us) machinist did the work on the pillars.
We dropped off the campervan and told him to cover the pillars and use his imagination. I had no idea it would
'flow' like it did. He asked if we wanted anything on the plate, we told him a handle on each side.
I'll take out camper back in a couple of weeks and give him free reign on the diamond plate and the crown where the wall meets the ceiling.
One more place we're thinking of using diamond plate is on our 'bedroom' window. I think he'll do fine there too.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here's some shots from this weekend's trip to Little Oak Campground on the shores of Holston Lake.
It's only an hour away, hard to get to curvy road wise so little visited, and a great local place to try new campvan things. This trip was a pre-trip shakedown of the kayaks for the trip out west in September.
I've collected kayaks over the years-

Those are kept at the cabin, 8 more kayaks are here in town.
But you see none of these will fit inside our 136wb Promaster :( And I decided long ago that the Promaster high roof is too tall for me to put kayaks on, plus the wind load Winston mentioned with my aerials would certainly be felt with kayaks :)
We also have a trailer and often pull a couple of Eddyline sit-on-tops but
often with the Promaster we're long enough as is.
So enter Sea Eagle 393rl inflatable kayaks!
Yes, two 12 foot kayaks fit inside out campervan and stacked on the back of the driver's side Slide-master in the rear.
Having paddle I'm sure over 100 different kayaks through the years I wondered and doubted the inflatables, but these
are not a typical inflatable kayak. I was very impressed with their handling, the speed was shockingly fast for a kayak, and the payload for each is 500 pounds (including paddler). Pump up time is a bit less than 10 min's by hand pump but the official electric pump arrives tomorrow.
So maybe these boats will take a dip into some lake in Wyoming or Montana in a few months!
https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/393rl
Also some posters had asked about our BOSS shower. I love it. It is easy, quick and efficient. I bet it will be quite exciting to use in the colder months but late spring, summer, and early fall it will be fine. The shower stall is an $8 tarp from Harbor Freight cut down to size. I 3M90'ed two super magnets into folded down corners, so the stall just pops on.
Also on this trip using the Earthquake genset for the first time 'on the road' and it works a quiet charm, bringing the house batteries (250amp/hours) from 80 to 100 percent in 1 hour 20 min's.
Also pictured Milo our camp guardian :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Medicineman, I have to ask you about your bike rack. I believe the horizontal struts that attach to the van door are held in place with screws, correct?Is the main body of the rack detachable from those horizontal struts or once its installed is it there for good? Fantastic shower set-up btw. Just what I have in mind for my build.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Emat,
Yes the horizontal mounts are screwed on.
The rest of the frame can be removed, 8 bolts.
Give me a day/maybe less and I'll post up a pic of the bolts OK?
That would be great! I like how that rack functions and that it's nice and high on the vehicle. It's price is comparable to most standard hitch mounts and it leaves the hitch free for other duties. I do wish it was more readily removable though. I can only imagine how the hooligans might hang on it like it was a monkey bar.

Does your van have ParkSense? Until I actually take possession of mine I'm guessing on so many things, but I assume a hitch mounted bike rack could trip the ParkSense sensors if they are located on the bumper, whereas the Fiamma rack would not.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Great pictures, thank goodness for the shower tarp !!!
Afew years back I looked down on kayakers in Boulder Bay Tahoe while on my way to Camp Richardson for the Faire. Those kayaks look fun, now on my bucket list . But what can I do with my 118" ?
Emat , my parksense drives me nuts when the trailer is hooked up , wish I could switch it off .

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Emat here you go-

Agreed the bike rack looks like a kids jungle jim! Maybe electrify it!
Hey, if you look closely you can see my external monitor for the inside/outside thermometer :)

No ParkSense, well except National Park Sense, I've been in 370 units of the U.S. NPS sytem; got my
last one two weeks ago, the newest Nat.Monument Bears Ears in Utah woohoo :)

Yes, for us best to keep the hitch mount free, for the storage pod which Poof absolutely loves and/or when we
pull the trailer with the long kayaks.

KNDLKSTMS depends on how much you like to be on the water. I've got thousands of miles paddled over 40 years and many many multi-day trips under my skeg. I've done BCU 3 and 4 star training in big water; so it was important for me.
I guess it also depends on how you want to transport the kayaks....these inflatable Sea Eagles would be perfect for a roof rack I think----just with aircon/Maxxair/160watt panel out 136wb has no roof real estate left---and as mentioned I'm not climbing up there.
The Sea Eagle 393rl will easily fit in your model IF you don't need that space for anything else eh. But I will tell you this. They advertise the 393rl as going into a 22x22x12 space...good luck with that! I think you'd have to be super judicious in packing them up. Luckily they take up 1/2 of our driver's side Slide-master and that's a space penalty we're easily willing to live with to be able to enjoy water features when we want.

This is an important video to not only watch but master if you go this route-

OK tomorrow's project. Our original build didn't have the Stowaway Max storage pod, now it is there when we go into reverse on the indash Kenwood head unit we see the back of the pod via the rearview camera! Hopefully tomorrow a new camera gets installed and in a higher location!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Winston I'd love to shake hands but we're not scheduled for Yellowstone/Glacier NP's until September.
We're staying kinda local ....within 2 hours... for totality. Just got a filter in for the lens :)

Good news on one of the rear view cameras. The one blocked by our love of the Stowaway Max Pod is now in a new location
and works perfect.
Next week we'll deal with the other camera on top of the roof....it's the one that goes directly to the rear view mirror which isn't really a mirror
but a dispay.

Also next week hopefully some more diamond plate work on the crown! Big fingers crossed on that.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A small but big thing.
Poof got really used to using the back up camera integral to the in-dash Kenwood Navi but its view was completely blocked with the addition of the
hitch mounted storage pod :(
Yesterday the local sound shop did a camera re-location for us and that camera is now better than before! Next week when I begin my off week we'll address the roof top camera. Here is the re-located one-

1 - 20 of 359 Posts