Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2014 PM 3500 with 140,000 miles on it. It is a diesel with the automatic manual transmission. Just got it a month ago, built it into a camper, and am currently on a 2 week trip in the PNW with it. Here is the problem. Anytime I am going down hill the van doesn't seem to want to shift until it is in the 3000 - 3500 range, but when I go uphill it shifts far sooner than it should be. I turned a corner in downtown Seattle yesterday tried to go up a steep hill starting in first gear and it almost immediately shifted into second, before it had even hit 1500 rpms, and almost stalled out on the hill. I can put it into manual mode to keep it from doing this and just shift myself. But I am wondering if anyone knows whats going on. Seems like some sensor is just backwards, or upside down or something to me, but I haven't been able to find the right combination of words to google and figure it out yet.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
It is not far from “normal”. During climbs on twisty hills and going down long inclines I have to use the manual shift or it drives me nuts. The manual mode works well and is so easy to access so I don’t mind. If you have reason to disconnect the battery for a half hour or so it will reset the PCM and will then “relearn” to shift to your liking. Not perfect but somewhat better. My problem is I forget it’s in manual so when I leave a stoplight I am doing 4,000 rpms before I realize it’s not going to shift up until I put it in D or shift manually.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That’s normal. Coincidentally the same thing happened to me in Seattle. I forgot to shift it in manual mode and started up a steep hill and it quickly shifted into 2nd gear which resulted in the van bucking like a wild bronco then stalling. You’ll also encounter the same problem on flat ground. Happened to me twice when slowly driving through an intersection then flooring it to quickly accelerate. It would try to shift into 2nd gear but would pause, stumble , then die. Very aggravating and dangerous! I’m sure at some point there’s going to be a class action lawsuit over this. If you browse the Hyundai forums the same issue comes up with their single clutch auto transmissions. So, in urban settings I default to manual mode and all is good. High revving down hills is normal. It’s a godsend in mountainous areas. You’ll learn to manually shift it to limit the rpm’s. Happy vanning!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hmmm...mine is pretty peppy in auto and overall I like the way it shifts. At 3092 miles on the odo I'm still getting used to driving it and have even accidentally burned a little rubber when giving it a bit more gas than intended. The 'downhill downshift' programming works pretty well most of the time but I understand folks frustration when they want to feel it 'coast' more freely and quietly, like a passenger vehicle. Taking it out of cruise helps with mine but it still wants to downshift a bit more often than I'd like on steep hills. I try to keep in mind that it's designed as a cargo van which takes into account maintaining control of a full load. If there were a couple more shift programs to select from other than just Tow/Haul (like Eco, Sport, etc) it would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
I often look at the OP if it’s a one pager like this one. Diesel was stated.:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts