Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2018 159" HR
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a couple threads with similar issues, but not exact.

At about 65mph (I only ever go 75 tops), the PM enters this seesaw between 6th and 5th gears. 6th struggles to maintain a constant speed, and at the slightest depression of accelerator, PM drops to 5th and revs high. This is during Tow/Haul on or off. On flats I can just barely feather the pedal enough avoid the drop in gear. I've also tried manual mode, and forcing 6th, but it overrides and drops to 5th anyway. It makes long distance driving kind of miserable and chews up the mpg.

Anyone else experience this issue? Something that could maybe be tuned? I see some opt to just drive in 5th, but that seems like a bad decision long-term. It's an '18, 159", 2500 that I'm driving.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,108 Posts
That seems a little lower than what I experience, I typically experience the 5th/6th back and forth around 75 mph when I am loaded around 7500 pounds total. This is on flat ground, any uphill and it will need to shift down to hold speed. Mine also has a roof rack and solar panels so I feel like that adds a little drag.

6th gear is quite tall and the promaster has a lot of drag. The engine just doesn't have the power below 2000 rpm to push the van at 65. Speeding up paradoxically helps the situation a little. This is easier in some places with higher speed limits obviously. I find that 72-73 is actually better for being able to hold top gear than lower speeds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts