Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks:

I believe this is my first post on the forum. You all are awesome !
Originally wanted to do an MB Sprinter 4x4. The more I researched it the more I ran ! (Screaming). Now in love with Ram ProMaster :)

QUESTION: I am 6 2 1/2. I prefer the "highest bed" possible. Does anyone have any advice for this "desire."
Does anyone have any Pics of higher level beds?

Any thoughts/advice for a "newbie" is greatly appreciated.

PS I only plan on sleeping up there :)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,568 Posts
I would think the minimum space between the ceiling and mattress is how much space do you need to rollover?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you want to be able to sit up?I do .If you put your bed from one side to the other you wont be able to stretch out at 6'-2''unless you dont insulate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think the minimum space between the ceiling and mattress is how much space do you need to rollover?
Great point, thank you so much for your insight ! -- I am toying with the idea of building a mock up of a 159 (non-extended) van interior with cardboard in the basement. I guess I could always also build a recessed "cardboard ceiling" over my bed and test various heights in the meantime as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you want to be able to sit up?I do .If you put your bed from one side to the other you wont be able to stretch out at 6'-2''unless you dont insulate
Thanks Joel -- yes, I am thinking that may have to be the case. Re sitting up to read or whatever I may have overlooked that value too :)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you find you can live without sitting up in the bed for the sake of more garage space, I would at the very least, make it low enough that you can crawl in on hands and knees.
If you have to army crawl in and out on your belly, it will get old, quick.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes, still have nightmares thinking about a truck camper I used to have.
Repeatedly banged my head on the over bed cabinets. No over bed cabinetry for me, just a roomy easy to climb into bed.
Have you thought about a elevator bed, one that raises and lowers?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am also 6'2" and we wanted a garage that would be able to hold large bikes (61cm) on a bike drawer below the bed.

My bed has 3 positions, (1) All the way up, for cargo and easy bike loading and unloading (2) All the way down, for no bikes or bikes with the seatpost removed - this leaves 32+" under the bed to the top of the bike drawer (about 35" to the van floor). Ceiling height above bed is 31" and this is totally fine for sleeping and sitting up leaning against the back door while in bed. A stool is required to get in bed as it's about 44" from floor to top of mattress. (3) Mid position for transporting bike with seatpost in place and ability to sleep. I rarely use this position. This leaves 42" under the bed to the drawer floor, but only 21" headroom above, and a very high 53" climb up to the bed. Our mattress is about 8" thick.

Here is an instagram post that explains it in more detail.

http://instagr.am/p/BhT2SYKBeT1/
Shaun

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
We opted for a 4+” IKEA mattress which on their bed slats makes a really comfy bed, as good as our 12” home mattress. This could save a few inches in a high position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello Folks:

Originally wanted to do an MB Sprinter 4x4. The more I researched it the more I ran ! (Screaming). Now in love with Ram ProMaster :)

QUESTION: I am 6 2 1/2. I prefer the "highest bed" possible. Does anyone have any advice for this "desire."

My husband is 6’4”. We had to build the bed lengthwise. Our quick fix was to lay 3 IKEA Skorva ($10/each) center bed supports on the side rails, then topped with a finish grade birch 5/8” ply. We screwed the wood to the cross pieces. I would put some inner tube under so they don’t make noise for bouncing over bumps unless you attach the cross pieces. The ceiling has not yet been insulated but we have a high density 3” foam futon with 4” self inflating Exped mega mats on top, and he can still sit. He needs to step on a cooler or something to get up. If you don’t attach the ply to the cross pieces, but use a piano hinge, you could fold the ply if needed to transport large items.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Folks:

Here is a Queen sized bed, 72x60 stacked in my 159ext. It's at roughly 40 inches off the floor and allows me to put 2 full sized dirt bikes in the "Garage".

When stacked, goes over the fender and stops at the number plate of the motorcycle giving me a massive garage!!

The bed is made of 3-20x72 pieces which can be laid out and slide forward if the garage is full. When the bikes are out, the bed is slid back, a few inches from the back door, like most beds are mounted in these vans. At 40 inches higher, you'll still have plenty of space. The van is about 75% built out

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Folks:

Here is a Queen sized bed, 72x60 stacked in my 159ext. It's at roughly 40 inches off the floor and allows me to put 2 full sized dirt bikes in the "Garage".

When stacked, goes over the fender and stops at the number plate of the motorcycle giving me a massive garage!!

The bed is made of 3-20x72 pieces which can be laid out and slide forward if the garage is full. When the bikes are out, the bed is slid back, a few inches from the back door, like most beds are mounted in these vans. At 40 inches higher, you'll still have plenty of space. The van is about 75% built out

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you find you can live without sitting up in the bed for the sake of more garage space, I would at the very least, make it low enough that you can crawl in on hands and knees.
If you have to army crawl in and out on your belly, it will get old, quick.
Got it and thanks !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, still have nightmares thinking about a truck camper I used to have.
Repeatedly banged my head on the over bed cabinets. No over bed cabinetry for me, just a roomy easy to climb into bed.
Have you thought about a elevator bed, one that raises and lowers?
Thank you Rob -- as my grandmother would say "some learn by listening some by feeling." I am finally listening ! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My husband is 6’4”. We had to build the bed lengthwise. Our quick fix was to lay 3 IKEA Skorva ($10/each) center bed supports on the side rails, then topped with a finish grade birch 5/8” ply. We screwed the wood to the cross pieces. I would put some inner tube under so they don’t make noise for bouncing over bumps unless you attach the cross pieces. The ceiling has not yet been insulated but we have a high density 3” foam futon with 4” self inflating Exped mega mats on top, and he can still sit. He needs to step on a cooler or something to get up. If you don’t attach the ply to the cross pieces, but use a piano hinge, you could fold the ply if needed to transport large items.
? and Thanks !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts