Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making a purchase soon and was wondering if anyone had experience driving both a high roof and low roof PM?
Specifically curious if the low roof does any better with cross winds on the interstate.
Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I have a high roof, and roof rack mounted solar panels (so they kind of catch the cross winds). I had a lot of wind knocking me about on NY raised highways, as the wind came up and over the highway it was really pushing my van around on the road almost to the point of it being scary.

·
Registered
717 Posts
low roof pmc....crossing SD on interstate .....saw on stretch of interstate 50 ft trailers with tractors and 50 ft rvs on side....maybe 10 or 12 in 20 miles

I was pushed around some but never felt out of control.....bad gas mileage but speed limit 80

Usually very little effect

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Hi,
We drove I25 north from Denver (notorious for high cross winds) during a big windstorm -- semi trailer trucks blown off the highway and on their sides. Our PM high roof did OK -- it was not sports car like, but OK.
In more normal cross winds, its just fine.

Gary

·
Read Only
309 Posts
Passing trucks pushes me around when driving my HT. Yes, these are large boxes. Some large pickup trucks shove air my way causing me to feel wander.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
419 Posts
I have never felt like the high roof was a problem in high winds. If you want/need to stand up I cannot imagine trying to work with a low roof.
We load mt bikes, dirt bikes, kayaks, camping gear in and out, even at only 5'7" I would not want to do that in a low roof.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Making a purchase soon and was wondering if anyone had experience driving both a high roof and low roof PM?
Specifically curious if the low roof does any better with cross winds on the interstate.
Thanks for any input!
I only have the high roof. Which I think is only something like 10" taller than the standard roof. So, I can't imagine it being that much different.
Either one is going to be pushed around and feel the wind. Coming from a truck, I can really tell the difference with all the extra surface area. But none of it is extreme or scary or unmanageable.
Otherwise the side of the interstate would be littered with overturned vans every day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have the high roof. Which I think is only something like 10" taller than the standard roof. So, I can't imagine it being that much different.
Either one is going to be pushed around and feel the wind. Coming from a truck, I can really tell the difference with all the extra surface area. But none of it is extreme or scary or unmanageable.
Otherwise the side of the interstate would be littered with overturned vans every day.
Gotcha. I figure I can manage it, but on longer trips I'd imagine it can get tiresome. Just so it's not a struggle the whole time I'm driving, I'd be fine.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No, not that bad.
I think a bigger concern, if it is a concern, is it might be a 1 mpg drop in fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
No, not that bad.
I think a bigger concern, if it is a concern, is it might be a 1 mpg drop in fuel efficiency.
Even if low-roof could deliver 1 MPG higher, I wouldn’t sacrifice the extra space the high-roof provides.

My old Ford handles fine in crosswinds, yet I was passed by a high-roof ProMaster on I-10 just east of Mobile tunnel (on the bridge over bay) when crosswind was affecting everyone. The high-roof PM was not blown around by the wind anywhere as badly as I was. I decided that day PM handling was great (or good enough) in crosswinds.

The main advantage I like about the low roof PM is that it would be garageable through an 8-foot garage door. That and clearing most drive-thrus. I know these are not important to most, but I like being able to get coffee or whatever at fast food restaurants if I want to without getting out. Being able to park a van in home garage would be awesome, but comes at a high price (space).

·
Registered
19 Posts
The main advantage I like about the low roof PM is that it would be garageable through an 8-foot garage door. That and clearing most drive-thrus. I know these are not important to most, but I like being able to get coffee or whatever at fast food restaurants if I want to without getting out. Being able to park a van in home garage would be awesome, but comes at a high price (space).
I have the low roof (2017), and unfortunately I can't garage it or take it through drive-thrus. From the ground to the top of the back edge of the roof is 9'4". Most drive-thrus have their clearance bar set at 9 feet.

I went with the LT because: it was a few grand cheaper, I'm 5'6" and was able to stand up in the empty van, and I thought it would confer a few other advantages (wind, mpg, garages, etc). With the 1" of flooring and 1/4" ceiling added, I can't fully stand up in it and the other imagined benefits didn't materialize or don't really matter.

I'm not unhappy with my van at all, but I do wish I had gone with the HT instead. Not having to utilize a "wide stance" while cooking would be nice, and from what I've seen the ceiling install in a HT is significantly easier than what I experienced with the LT.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed it was that tall. Actually, I thought the HT was 9'3".
Now I'm curious as to how tall my van actually is. I'll have to measure tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
9,291 Posts
Funny, my HR fits right underneath 9‘ high barriers without hitting!?

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 159" hightop PM handles the wind admirably, I may even say slightly better than my old E-350 did and it was standard height. The one issue that I have encountered is some wind resistance when driving behind large trucks on the highway. When traveling about 100-150ft behind a large semi my PM sometimes acts as if a wheel is badly out of balance. It took me while to figure out that it was just wind disturbance from the vehicle traveling in front of me, so it's no longer so disconcerting, but can become a little annoying if the roads are busy with large trucks.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I have the low roof (2017), and unfortunately I can't garage it or take it through drive-thrus. From the ground to the top of the back edge of the roof is 9'4". Most drive-thrus have their clearance bar set at 9 feet.

I went with the LT because: it was a few grand cheaper, I'm 5'6" and was able to stand up in the empty van, and I thought it would confer a few other advantages (wind, mpg, garages, etc). With the 1" of flooring and 1/4" ceiling added, I can't fully stand up in it and the other imagined benefits didn't materialize or don't really matter.

I'm not unhappy with my van at all, but I do wish I had gone with the HT instead. Not having to utilize a "wide stance" while cooking would be nice, and from what I've seen the ceiling install in a HT is significantly easier than what I experienced with the LT.
What do you have on roof that adds almost 2 feet to overall van height? Like others, I’m also curious.

I would only consider a low roof for my wife to be able to stand — she’s 5’-3” ~ 5’-4”. Some old vans had dropped floor in one area which works great, usually in kitchen area, but adds a lot of work and cost. I would need that again or a fiberglass raised top in order to stand. However, it’s easier and less expensive to start out with a high roof van. Drop floor is a fun project to take on just for the challenge, but not too practical when there are easier options.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
My high roof van with a rear leaf spring removed is 101 inches tall including my vent and solar panels. That is 8’ 5” and I drive through the 9’ warnings all the time. But if I put a big box on top.............

Reactions: joebenimble
1 - 20 of 32 Posts