Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out I have to post here before I can post anywhere else; So I'm here to say "Hi"...
A little about myself: I'm a Sales Rep in the world of SUP (Stand-Up Paddle-boarding) and I reside here in N/E Fla..
Started my biz about 5 years ago with a used 2005 Ford E-150 van that I've now outgrown as paddle-boards have gotten larger with the addition of race-boards that reach 14'. I tried toting a trailer and that works to a degree but it's an open trailer and theft concerns me a bunch (I can't have an enclosed trailer as it wouldn't fit inside my single-car garage and I'm in a deed-restricted community)...
Started checking out the "Sprinter-Style" vans from Mercedes, Ford, and Ram but I really like these Ram ProMasters... My biggest problem is when I get up into the 2500 PM with the 159" WB (big enough to easily fit a 14' racing board into), they are slightly out of my price-range. Just wondering if any of you guys that have a 136" WB could take an internal measurement for me (rear door to front inside) to see if there's a way to somehow get one in there; Like maybe up high where that extended area over the cab is... I could rig up a rack system up there if there room...
Thanks so much for your help and so glad I found this forum. Lots of great information here... JD

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,862 Posts
I measured. Up top won't do you any good, but if you take the passenger seat out and angle the board a bit, you'll get 14'. About 13.5' straight shot. I have no idea how wide this board is, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I measured. Up top won't do you any good, but if you take the passenger seat out and angle the board a bit, you'll get 14'. About 13.5' straight shot. I have no idea how wide this board is, though.

Thanks MsNomer but I won't be able to remove the passenger seat as the wifey goes on the road with me a lot... Bummed but guess I'll simply have to save a bit more and get the 2500-159"... I'm hoping in the last two weeks of the year they might want to be a bit more inclined to negotiate... JD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dwight. I'm assuming your DW from the Zone; right? If so; How the heck are you?
I just checked out your link above: Wow! Nice mod on your PM. Is that a 159"? How's it working for you? I'm thinking I'm just going to have to 'bite the bullet' and spend the $ to go with the larger size. Deb and I are so cramped in our little sardine can we call the E150... Be well and talk soon, JD

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm not sure I could get a 14 ft SUP in my 159". No way the shorter will do

Maybe in a month dealers will start seeing 2015s and discounts will get big on 2014s.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Have you been to a dealership that has Promasters? All of the ones I have called or visited are willing to negotiate back of invoice. My local dealership in San Diego has a lot of them and even moved them off of the lot to some weird back lot (I assume because nobody was interested? Or at least more interested in pretty Ram trucks).

Do a quick search on autotrader and you will see 159's are being priced around the same as the 136. I guarantee you can pick one up for thousands under invoice.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Dwight. I'm assuming your DW from the Zone; right? If so; How the heck are you?
I just checked out your link above: Wow! Nice mod on your PM. Is that a 159"? How's it working for you? I'm thinking I'm just going to have to 'bite the bullet' and spend the $ to go with the larger size. Deb and I are so cramped in our little sardine can we call the E150... Be well and talk soon, JD
Yep. I'm also known as DW over there.

Loving my 159" van. Also bought a retirement home in Merritt Island, so we'll be in your state a lot more often.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. I'm also known as DW over there.

Loving my 159" van. Also bought a retirement home in Merritt Island, so we'll be in your state a lot more often.
Awesome DW... Now Deb and I will have a place to stay this winter when our water gets too cold ;)...
Thinking I might just have to pull the trigger and get me one of these vans. They seem pretty nice, have loads of room and the mileage is pretty good for a gas-eater... Talk soon, JD

·
Registered
887 Posts
A bit of advice when searching dealer inventory....

Look at the vin number. Look for high numbers. 125,000 and up. That will get you a build date of May 2014 or later.

Some dealers still have vans on the lot with build dates from late 2013. Avoid those, as the factory was still learning how to build them. Quality wasn't as good with the early ones. All the issues with those early ones are gone now. Like poor paint, doors not latching right, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, my first post and reply, I've been reading topics for the past few months, a lot of really helpful information. Since March of this year my goal was to buy a diesel PM thinking they'd be at dealerships by July....waiting waiting nothing. Now even though I know I could order one the idea of a gas model actually sounds like my best option. I'm a drywaller currently driving an 06 chevy express that gets 13mpg and gets full of tools, materials and clutter instantly. I want a PM 2500 159" in granite crystal grey which is kinda rare, now I see the post where it's recommended to look for a vin number 125,000 and up? Right now I have my eyes on a model at rancho dodge in San diego with all the options I'm looking for, price is at $34,600 but the vin is a 109,000. What do you guys think, should I go for it, trying to strike a deal probably getting it around $30k or under or ordering a new one?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Hi guys, my first post and reply, I've been reading topics for the past few months, a lot of really helpful information. Since March of this year my goal was to buy a diesel PM thinking they'd be at dealerships by July....waiting waiting nothing. Now even though I know I could order one the idea of a gas model actually sounds like my best option. I'm a drywaller currently driving an 06 chevy express that gets 13mpg and gets full of tools, materials and clutter instantly. I want a PM 2500 159" in granite crystal grey which is kinda rare, now I see the post where it's recommended to look for a vin number 125,000 and up? Right now I have my eyes on a model at rancho dodge in San diego with all the options I'm looking for, price is at $34,600 but the vin is a 109,000. What do you guys think, should I go for it, trying to strike a deal probably getting it around $30k or under or ordering a new one?
Don't fret over the VIN. They will end up figuring out how to fix everything that is wrong. Get the gasser. No way I would order a new one when they are struggling to move the 2014's. Don't negotiate off of MSRP. Look to pay several $1000 under invoice as the 2015's just went into production last week.

·
Registered
887 Posts
What relevance is the VIN?
It's the easiest way to know the build date when searching dealer inventory on the Ramtrucks web site.

128,000 is roughly a 6/14 built date.

Otherwise, the only way to know the build date of the van is to open the drivers door and look at the sticker on the jam.

Some guys who bought early build vans struggled with dealers trying to fix problems. Dealers are not that experienced with the van. Also, the factory made some shocking boo-boos. I know one guy who's van was shipped with software for 3 across seating, when he had 2 seats. It' caused the computer to act crazy. It took Chrysler tech person to come in to dealer to solve.

So why not search dealer lots for newer builds and reduce your risk of getting something built when the factory was still learning how to assemble them.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,862 Posts
Mine is 104,556, which I got for about $2,000 under invoice. Build date about a year ago. Why did I do this? Because it was literally the only one in a 500-mile radius with even most of the options I wanted. So far, so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts