Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a dog walker/pet sitter in San Diego, CA looking to replace my 17 year old Toyota Tacoma with 235K miles. I initially looked at the Ford Transit Connect but I wasn't impressed when I drove it and hated the instrument panel, plus I don't like Ford. Last week I test drove a Promaster City SLT Wagon and loved it except I want an SLT Tradesman.
I'm here because I'm having trouble getting one with windows that open on the sliding doors and rear doors because I need good ventilation for the dogs as I will be adding a partition. When I try to build one to order I select the Popular Equipment Group $495 on the packages page. This option is second row power windows and heated front seats. Don't ask me why heated front seats are paired with power windows but they might be nice to have. So when I add this package a window pops up saying:
Your Selection Requires Changes

You have selected Popular Equipment Group which requires some changes to your configuration.
The ADDITION of:

• Rear and Sliding Doors with Vented Glass

The total price of this vehicle will increase by $890.

SoI don't understandwhat is happening here. The powered windows and heated seats are $495 and then they add:
Rear and Sliding Doors with Vented Glass $395

• Rear Cargo Doors with Glass
  • Sliding Driver-Side Door with Vented Glass
  • Sliding Passenger-Side Door with Vented Glass
Does this mean the power windows are not available on the Tradesman SLT and they're replacing them with vented windows (which are only $395 not $890) or the power windows are available and this is their way of squeezing some extra cash out of me? How could they have both? I'm guessing "vented windows" are the kind that just pop out a few inches with hinges. Also, will there be controls for the second row windows on the drivers door or on the sliding doors if it is possible to get them? It's very confusing. Does anyone know if you can add these windows to a Tradesman SLT like the website says is an available option?
My dealer had a 2016 Tradesman for a good price but no second row or back door windows. I said I'd seriously consider settling for that van if he could get pop out windows on the sliding doors and windows in the back doors. He did some research and said before shipping them from Turkey they remove the windows and put panels in because it's cheaper for some reason. He said he could order the windows but there is no installation kit available so their service department would not be able to install them. He tried outside sources as well but couldn't find anyone that could do it.
I never thought buying a new vehicle could be so hard!

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Welcome. I've moved your first post to the City specific side of the forum now you have been approved to insure it gets the most exposure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Doug!

I feel you on the "build your own" setup on the website...just when you get it right where you want it, an addition changes the whole layout of the vehicle. It's why I gave up building one and just went out to look for one!
Getting the right configuration for your City will prove to be a daunting task. The City does not come offered with opening rear windows..it's either rear doors with glass, or without. (add in rear washer group package.) :)
When I purchased mine, I came across what appeared to be a Tradesman SLT with power windows and rear glass doors, with no rear seats, backup camera.
But in this configuration, per the window sticker, that City was actually a regular SLT, but had the rear seat deleted and rear cargo area package deleted in Baltimore. Definitely a rarity in this setup, but they do exist!

I am pretty sure you're only able to add in the power window option on a 5 seater SLT. The mentioned SLT above was a strange setup, and I can't think of any reason why anyone would want power windows in back, but no seats...until now! You're intended use fits the configuration perfectly. You just need to fly to Hawaii and come grab it! Good luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Doug,
You just might be better off ordering a wagon slt.The back seat is totally removeable,you get power rear windows,and the carpet keeps the dog(s) from slipping all around.All I do is open the rear cargo door and my shepard jumps right in,or our when we get home. The only option I DO NOT recommend is the (tom tom) nav. It really sucks and for me,very difficult to use,so I don't use it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StudioX- When you say the rear cargo package was deleted from the SLT wagon do you mean they took out the carpet, seat and panels? That would be perfect!
I've considered getting a wagon but I really don't want the carpet in the back because sometimes my dogs throw up after drinking sea water or they spill the water bowl that I put in the back of my truck after an outing. I was going to buy a rubber cargo mat which provides excellent traction, way more than carpet would. Plus I can just haul it out and hose puke off of it. The other problem with the wagon is even if I remove the back seat there is still that cavern where the seat folds down into to deal with and I believe this makes adding a partition difficult.

Lohchief- Thanks for the tip on the nav system. I wasn't gonna get that anyway. I just use my phone with bluetooth on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
StudioX- When you say the rear cargo package was deleted from the SLT wagon do you mean they took out the carpet, seat and panels? That would be perfect!
I've considered getting a wagon but I really don't want the carpet in the back because sometimes my dogs throw up after drinking sea water or they spill the water bowl that I put in the back of my truck after an outing. I was going to buy a rubber cargo mat which provides excellent traction, way more than carpet would. Plus I can just haul it out and hose puke off of it. The other problem with the wagon is even if I remove the back seat there is still that cavern where the seat folds down into to deal with and I believe this makes adding a partition difficult.

Lohchief- Thanks for the tip on the nav system. I wasn't gonna get that anyway. I just use my phone with bluetooth on.
The city wagon comes standard with the carpeting/sound insulation etc,and the back seat.If you don't want any of that,then it's the promaster City cargo van you want with slt trim.No carpets/insulation.I think you can spec out the power windows for the sliding doors,( or they may be part of the slt pkg) fixed glass for the rear doors.Maybe you get the glass with the bare-bones cargo version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The city wagon comes standard with the carpeting/sound insulation etc,and the back seat.If you don't want any of that,then it's the promaster City cargo van you want with slt trim.No carpets/insulation.I think you can spec out the power windows for the sliding doors,( or they may be part of the slt pkg) fixed glass for the rear doors.Maybe you get the glass with the bare-bones cargo version.
lohchief, you are correct..but in this case...not really.

The sticker had it as an SLT Wagon, delete rear passenger group...no seats, no carpet, no rear well moldings. It had the floor extension and 6 tie downs on the floor, plus rear doors with glass.
The reason why this SLT stood out for me was the fact that it had power windows on the sliding doors. It just made no sense to me. Power windows but no seats for anyone to operate them.
I wanted to take those doors off of that SLT and put them on the one I bought!

So, yes Doug,,,it is exactly what you are looking for.
I can tell you that the carpet is easily removed. I pulled the rear section out and dropped in hardwood floor. Left the rear floor section that is tucked just under the edge of the seat mounts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So did that SLT have driver door controls for the windows or were they only on the sliding doors? Of course the latter would make no sense but neither does having to add "Rear and Sliding Doors with Vented Glass" when you select the power window package. I still want to know what "vented" glass is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So did that SLT have driver door controls for the windows or were they only on the sliding doors? Of course the latter would make no sense but neither does having to add "Rear and Sliding Doors with Vented Glass" when you select the power window package. I still want to know what "vented" glass is.
The controls were also on the driver side door panel.
The vented glass is what I have. The glass is latched at the back section, and opening the latch will pop the back of the window about 2 inches away from the door. That is the "vent" design.

Reactions: Doug Pizzy

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I actually spoke with a dealer today and he said he called and found out that you can order a tradesman cargo van with the power windows. He said the rep he spoke to says the website is confusing but when you select the Popular Equipment Package (power windows and heated front seats) for $495 and then the box comes up about having to add the vented windows to sliding and rear doors - $890. It' actually $890 total ($495 for the power windows and heated seats + $395 for the glass itself = $890). I thought $495 was really reasonable for power windows and heated seats!
Thinking I wasn't going to be able to order a Tradesman SLT with power windows I was considering getting a wagon and removing the carpet in the cargo area and wrapping the rear seats in a tarp and folding them forward and just buy one of those universal dog barriers and wedge it between the folded seats and the ceiling. With the seats folded forward there is still about 6' from the seats to the back doors, which is how big my Tacoma bed is. I think the PMC is a little wider and definitely a lot taller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts