Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a Promaster today without any interior side panels. I noticed holes the shape of a hexagon spaced every so often. It looks like it's designed to hold a nut from turning. Is there some type of nut plate (nut welded to a piece of flat stock) that you can put behind the braces and screw into it? If so where can you find these? What are they rated to weight wise?

I'm looking at converting one into a camper van and like the idea of not having to drill new holes into the braces for cabinets, but also want everything to be secure.

Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a expanding anchor with a hex shank available to fit the 11mm hex that is punched into the body bracing; I have been unable to locate a source that will sell a small quantity, though. They are set with a air tool or hand tool. I have not seen specifications as to holding power, that metal is quite thin and is probably the limiting factor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do a Google search for "nut inserts" and you'll find many sources for exactly what you're looking for. You'll need a special tool to secure them.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
About two years ago I helped a friend install running boards on his new RAM pickup. As I recall the kit included hexagonal rivet nuts that fit in holes under body, and expanded by simply tightening a bolt to a predetermined torque. We elected to do it by feel rather than use a torque wrench because it was easy to tell when the rivet portion bottomed out. After that the bolts were removed and the running boards tightened down to remaining nuts left in body.

If strong enough for running boards I would think they could easily support RV cabinets and the like unless the holes/nuts are much smaller than the ones we used. I can't be sure but the bolts were around 3/8-inch in size -- maybe 8 MM or so.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Good to know. I was searching on FIAT Ducato Eper (online fiche), and I could not find any relevant part numbers for those - lets recall that they do offer full interiors on the Ducato in Europe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts