Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2017 PMC with 40k on it and they must have warmed it up before I took it out on the test drive because every morning now when I start it up to go it doesn’t want to cooperate. It feels almost like it the transmission is slipping as I buck forward from a dead stop into 1st and 2nd. I have a renegade with the same engine and I’ve got a throttle booster coming in to fix the soft pedal so I know that is somewhat normal... but I don’t know about the cold start issue. It acts OK once warmed up but I can still feel a slight hesitation on takeoff even when it’s warm. Anyone got any ideas? Plugs? Cables? Throttle body maybe? TIA.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep I always give it a few minutes to warm up b4 driving off especially in winter here in central Ontario. Seems to be normal for this van. Lucky me I have remote start :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think they all do this. You have to let it warm up. I've learned that mine does better if I don't try to force it through the 1st to 2nd gear change, just let it do it on it's own. I live in a subdivision so it's easy to let this happen without fear of someone rushing up behind me. Also, just to make sure, ALWAYS use premium detergent gas. No convenience store or WalMart etc brands. I always buy Exxon, Shell, BP or Citgo and the shifting is much smoother.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think they all do this. You have to let it warm up. I've learned that mine does better if I don't try to force it through the 1st to 2nd gear change, just let it do it on it's own. I live in a subdivision so it's easy to let this happen without fear of someone rushing up behind me. Also, just to make sure, ALWAYS use premium detergent gas. No convenience store or WalMart etc brands. I always buy Exxon, Shell, BP or Citgo and the shifting is much smoother.
Crabapple...what remote start you have? Does it use the factory keyfob???
I agree with not rushing it through 1st and 2 when cold, let it build momentum 1st time driving off, it's fine after that. If its warmed up all the better. I have a Compustar after market remote start and no does not use factory fob. I have to carry both but the Compustar fob is small. I only use it during winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Toronto, I have a 2016 Pro Master City SLT with 43,000 km. I bought the extended warranty just as my normally warranty was reacing the end. I love the little van but it does have issues like cold running hesitation on shift from 1st to 2nd, it almost stops! much less hesitation once warm but still does it (Dealer claims this is normal). I'm on my second sway bar link , when it goes there is a rattle in the front end especially over bumps. 1st set went 1 year ago at about 33,000 kms, 2nd one at 43,000kms. I think this is an issue with the van as "It's common failure". The dash lights are really dim during the day. I have them set at maximum brightness and they are very poor. It's really difficult to read speedo , actually dangerous to try and read it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
My 2017 is also hesitating when just started. I live in FL., so this has nothing to do with it being cold. Had the service dept. take a look & Inasked about the software update that some people have had done. It involves retraining the transmission to shift accurately. The service agent attaches a computer to something in the van & drives around for 40 minutes. Has anyone had this done? Costs about $300 to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently got a 2017 pmc & it has the same hard shift from 1st to 2nd upon starting out...gets better after warming up. I've also been told by dealer the trany needs to warm up to 160 & this is normal :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I recently got a 2017 pmc & it has the same hard shift from 1st to 2nd upon starting out...gets better after warming up. I've also been told by dealer the trany needs to warm up to 160 & this is normal :-(
I decide to live with it since there is no guarantee that the $300 procedure will even rectify the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts