Ram Promaster Forum banner

Here I go again . . . .

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  KNDLKSTMS 
#1 ·
Just don't want to build another Van . But my beloved E-150 is on it's last legs . I have a good idea on how this " weekender " will turn out.
The E-150 had a cot that folded up along the drivers side . The " kitchen " folded up on the other side . Helmet bungee nets along the side and roof kept crap off the floor . The fixtures had tie downs for motor bikes , etc . All folded into the walls to clear the load floor .
Now I have a twin " trundle bed " modded to fold , I will try to use Grand dads 1 burner folding setup with "hotel pan" sink upgrade .
I'll need suggestions for insulation , paneling , floor covering , etc . I will use an extra battery ( love my 12v mattress pad , rig to use some 110v items (oil space heater).
I've done a mess of work vans using steel slotted angle as all the holes allow "adjustments / upgrades". I've also used fiberglass rods along the roof to attach the bungee nets , etc . Very strong and light .
Thank you'all for all the good info I've read so far .

Thank you again , Ken

#2 ·
Welcome this should be an interesting ride.
Insulation- Polyisocyanurate sheets of 1” in the walls and ceiling glued in with Great Stuff foam from a Pro gun, all available at H-D See my thread below. Thinsulate in the hard to fill ribs and above the forward ceiling and inside doors, available from Hein a poster here. Simple, durable, moisture adverse, warm relatively easy. Avoid fiberglass, denim, and thin air filled mylar plastics.
Floor- Polyisocyanurate sheets under plywood, covered with your choice- paint, epoxy, tiles, Marmolium, I would avoid Pergo.
Oil space heater? Like a Wabasto or Espar?
Battery? 2 AGM golf cart batteries form Sam’s or Costco. Hitch ‘em down well and an inverter to get 110, or avoid 110 altogether and use just 12V, it is easy.
Panneling? Hardwood plywood in 1/4 inch held with self tapping screws, Painted? Polyurethane?
Have fun, look at bunch of the build threads and do your research before making your own mistakes, as they are expensive.

#4 ·
Quick reply

First , Thank you Gents . I don't know much about Mr. Van Too . I do paint touch-up for car dealers . At my Friday account I noticed a "used" PM . A shortie with door windows . P windows/locks , a screen on the radio . Looks close enough . I asked my longtime friend the fleet manager how much is a "used" PM ? Long - short I signed papers that afternoon . I'm a owner of a 2016 PM 118" ,they say "loaded" van with only 580 miles . Someone bought in 2015 September and sold back to the dealer last Wednesday .
Opportunity comes when your least ready , jump and then put the parachute on ! ! !
I'll know more about It next Friday when I take delivery . Then Christmas , then my birthday . Lucky me . I feel like Jimmy Stewart .
I'll post a few pics of Old Busted's set up. Very practical and comfortable .

Thank you again , Ken

#5 ·
Thanks, RD . Good Ideas." Oil Space Heater "I'm using is a 400 watt oil filled 110v radiant heater . The kind you'ld have under the desk in the office.Zoro part # G85955842 . In the E-line , kept me at 60deg when 40 outside on medium .I still "camp" in old busted in the side yard until new hotness is up n' running .I do have grates keeping "flammables" away from the heater .
If I can get a "dry" weekend I'll dig out the salvaged/leftover Insulation and see what I can use.
#1 priority is the Cot mount/Storage/Anchor point assy on the driver side . Swap Meet and a psychobilly show at the end of the month, will I ever grow up ?

And for Proeddie , now that its in my driveway ... 2016 low 118" nav, backup and camera , tint on doors , floating dvrs seat. Gas .Wish I had swivel and tow.

Thinking about a " trunk " behind the seats at "step height " when seat(s) swivel . Camper batterys, entrenching tool , chains ,etc .

Ken

#9 ·
Nice spot to wire that stuff. Great work. Oh and those past midnight hours have become the wee wee hours for me.

#10 ·
And the best part , got the Batt Docs and the CB panel installed ! And it all works, the smoke is still inside ! Temporary location for the loaner battery , but I'm good to go. I will be using a dedicated battery for the mattress pad , that's why the 2 Battery Docs.

Attachments

#11 ·
Power flow is as follows . . . Van/starter 12v in big cable to Batt Doc(s) - circuit breaker - dvr's D pillar dist block - fuse - pass D pillar dist block - C pillar terminus . Hot at all times , ran it just in case ???
House 12v from Batt Doc aux term - dvr's D pillar dist block - fuse panel - on to light switches , relays/timers - pass D pillar dist block.

Also ran "trailer ribbon" along with all that stuff with dist blocks , again just in case .

And the big yellow do-dad is the 110v GFI plug to the 4 gang outlet high at the dvr's B pillar . Ran extension cords to the pass B , C, D pillars , just in case.

I had an idea what upgrades I needed from the old E , and thanks to the pioneers/old pros and newbies that freely give great advice and many late nights reading those posts , I have a system that should give many years/miles of service.

THANK YOU ALL !!!!

#12 ·
Curtain rods. RECMAR L beam track from Curtian-Tracks.com . Very nice and light and inexpensive. Movable track is riveted to U channel to strengthen .They have little wheels in a U that ride on the track. Used 1/4" shank , 1/2" grip Ball Lock quick release pins to attach to drilled out riv-nuts at various locations to move track around .

Attachments

#14 ·
I went with the aluminum because of the ability to bend the track. And had to reinforce the bends with the sheet. A lot of choice at the site. The tracks ship in long tubes and that's where the expense is. I needed 2 tracks and ordered 3 , just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.