Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Promaster 2021 136' high top

Van came with dome light on passenger sliding door side and one on the rear above cargo doors; no center dome light.

However, there are wires running across the ceiling (from driver side to passenger side) on two of the beams. These are in the way of framing. Looking more closely they appear to be LED strip lights, but we have no idea how to turn them on. Also, it appears that there is wiring run for two more lights. The owner's manual doesn't shed light on this.

Are we right about this? If so, what would you do with them?

If not, what are they?

Appreciate your quick response - this is holding up framing. :(

Line Rectangle Gas Ceiling Metal
Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Gesture Gas Automotive exterior Machine Auto part

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
706 Posts
On the C pillar on the passenger side about 18" inches above the floor is a little silver button. This turns on the led strip lights.
Yes there are 4 wires and only two light strips on the factory option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the C pillar on the passenger side about 18" inches above the floor is a little silver button. This turns on the led strip lights.
Yes there are 4 wires and only two light strips on the factory option.
OMG, thank you! We are sitting in the cargo space laughing that these lights exist. Who knew?

Can I push my luck with another question? What do most people do with these? We're assuming we'll take them out during construction, put them back in somewhere and wire them to our own electrical system? Or, should we keep them wired as is?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
706 Posts
You can move the lights to anywhere you want them or even swap to different lights. The strips are actually pretty generic parts.
Check out superbrightleds.com and dig in to see some options. Once you are a little educated you can find lots of the items on Amazon or eBay for great pricing.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You can move the lights to anywhere you want them or even swap to different lights.
Yep. Mine didn't come with those LED strips, but I did move the two cargo-area dome lights to better locations. I just spliced in some extra wire. But be aware those factory LED strips and dome lights are powered by the starter battery, so don't rely on them for primary camper lighting. Of course, you can also remove them entirely.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi. If you can remove that entire light setup without cutting any wires, including the switch and control box, I'd be interested in buying the whole kit. Just let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,592 Posts
A heads up on this LED light strip;

Gesture Automotive exterior Gas Ceiling Rectangle

My 2018 came with 2 of these (same plastic protection & clips). We repurposed one of these 4’ IIRC strips in our cabin. It uses almost 4 amps 😳 & that is about twice as much as our Propex heater. The LED lights we had in our 2018 ( 3 individual LED), cast more light than we needed & were typically less than 1 amp. Our minimal 12v works for us as we drive almost everyday & our use is limited to about 125Ahr usable 50% AGMs.

In short those LEDs are “energy pigs” compared to other efficient LEDs - like 4 or 6 times the energy;

Cloud Sky Fire extinguisher Wood Lighting

I will be replacing that energy sucking LED in our cabin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A heads up on this LED light strip;

View attachment 80181

My 2018 came with 2 of these (same plastic protection & clips). We repurposed one of these 4’ IIRC strips in our cabin. It uses almost 4 amps 😳 & that is about twice as much as our Propex heater. The LED lights we had in our 2018 ( 3 individual LED), cast more light than we needed & were typically less than 1 amp. Our minimal 12v works for us as we drive almost everyday & our use is limited to about 125Ahr usable 50% AGMs.

In short those LEDs are “energy pigs” compared to other efficient LEDs - like 4 or 6 times the energy;

View attachment 80182

I will be replacing that energy sucking LED in our cabin.
Good to know. Appreciate you sharing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts