Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the PM 2017 for 12 days. Picked it up with 14 miles on it and plan on a camper-van conversion.
The she-ruler and I are backpackers from many years and have rudimentary requirements=no shower, no kitchen, no fancy-smancy cabinets, etc.
BUT we do want a platform sleeper bed in the back.
Luckily we're under 6 feet and can sleep side to side in our regular length tall ProMaster.

We've recently discovered the motorycle loading ramps and fate would have it that they come in many lengths/widths. One will be perfect for our sleeping platform application.
Our initial challenge it how to attach to the vertical van walls ? Complicating this is that we need the bed a foot higher than the obvious running horizontal wall support beam---so
we're trying to come up with a bracket that can mount to this horizontal beam yet raise the bed higher.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
mm4040,
Welcome!

You need a way to get up the wall. You might create uprights on each wall that extend higher than the waistline frame piece. If you bolt the uprights to the frame, you could then bolt a crosspiece to the uprights at any height, and level from front to back at the same time. The uprights could be 2x4s, 2x6s, or some metal angle iron pieces.

You will find that 2x4s extnded from the floor to the frame spot I pictured is very close to a straight vertical line +- an inch. As an alternate, depending on wall plans a plywood panel could be the upright on each wall wit the supporting crosspiece bolted to it. Level in our PMs is NOT parallel with the floor!

Ed

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Platform bed continued question for ProEddie

I searched the forum per your suggestion. I was looking at specific attachment
mechanisms for my platform bed build, even more specifically and assuming I use
the loading ramp (still love them for weight/strength ratio) how to physically place
on the walls.
Angle iron seems a logical choice.
Now was there something you remember that I didn't find searching the site that
in you mind would be better than?
I've already discovered somewhere polycarbonate sheets that can be placed between
the loading ramp and the memory foam mattress.
Thanks again.
Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts