Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been many posts on here about people wanting to replace their Uconnect with an aftermarket head unit. Well I am about to dive into the unknown here, so any help is appreciated.

Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the factory Uconnect system? I know the "standard" radio wire colors but trying to get a grasp on the backup camera colors and any other wires left over. I know there

I am hoping this goes well, Crutchfield assured me the CANBUS system wont be an issue. Since my factory Uconnect died (due to a factory software update) and I have an aftermarket amp, I figured replacing it with a Pioneer 7" touchscreen would be much better.

So this is the closest information found, which was posted by Flash, can anyone elaborate any further?

Ok, First thanx to all who chimed in & prescribed their best advice. I looked deeper into this & the devil is in the schematic image details. Here’s how it all shakes out:
Plug Hole #52 Orange & Black (RL-)
Plug hole #51 Yellow & Black (FL-)
Plug Hole #50 Purple & Black (FR-)
Plug Hole #49 Green & Black (RR-)
Plug Hole #48 Orange (RL+)
Plug Hole #47 Yellow (FL+)
Plug Hole #46 Purple (FR+)
Plug Hole #45 Green (RR+)
Plug Hole #44 Red & Yellow as you can see there is a +30 icon above this slot. Possible positive?
Plug Hole #43 Black with some sort of antenna type icon Possible negative/ground?
Plug Holes #’s 42 radio on (?) & 41 (15) are empty…

I believe that the Orange, Yellow, Purple & Green positive slots correspond with the Orange, Yellow, Purple & Green with Black striped negative slots. That takes up all 8 slots with nowhere for the rear cargo speakers to hook-up to. It appears to me that Chrysler set-up the 2 small tweeter column speakers as Fronts & the 2 round door speakers as rears. Seeing that rear cargo speakers were not originally equipped with my PM that would make sense. What doesn’t make sense is that when I set the balance control to right then left they control the 4 cab speakers. When I set the fade control to the front there is no change in the speaker sound or level. When I set the fade control to the rear the sound lowers then eventually turns off when set all the way to the rear speaker setting. I’m baffled…

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I finally have, or so I think, the right harnesses and such coming to make the switch over from the Uconnect to a Pioneer touch screen. The most important piece is finding the correct wiring harness. Every car audio site lists the wrong wiring harness! According to Metra, the harness makers, this is the correct one:
. This will integrate with the backup camera and the factory mic.

I am however having a few issues since pulling my factory Uconnect out. The odometer indicator continually flashes, the clock flashes on the instrument panel (due to disconnecting the battery), and the backup sensors aren't working.

The new harness should be here Monday, so I will re-post on any new findings. If someone out there has the wiring diagram to the Uconnect factory radio it will help, or if anyone knows the CAN bus wires, I may have a solution to the above issues.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With that Metra harness they have a direct plug in steering wheel control module, which is extra. It doesn't seem as intuitive as the original one I purchased from PAC, but I like the fact the Metra and Axxess (Metra Brand) plug directly in and there is no additional mess.

Since I ordered both, I will report back as to which one works best.

So far this is my list:

1. [*]Metra 95-6523 Installation Dash Kit for 2014-Up Ram Promaster Truck (Black)
  2. Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS 7" Double-DIN

3. [*]SiriusXM SXV300v1
  4. MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers
  5. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
  6. Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles
  7. Metra XSVI-6523-NAV XSVI Interface Dodge 13-UP

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only issue with the Maestro, according to the company, is that it wont integrate with the factory camera, the factory mic or solve the CANBUS issues. I asked them why, and the response was basically there is no money in developing the software for a cargo van at this time. Many of the other cars in the Fiat/Chrysler group integrate perfectly, no problems with flashing odometers and clock setting issues on the instrument panel.

So with that, the Maestro is far more expensive and doesn't offer much. If someone has used this and I am incorrect, please let us know your installation story?

The final puzzle piece of my install should arrive today. I will followup with pictures and installation information.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You may be able to hardwire into the camera and mic but you'd have to figure out the wiring on your own.

Maestro seems to have more options then simply steering wheels controls, but yes it is more expensive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maestro does have more options but not for the Promaster. Maybe with time more upfitters will be putting in aftermarket stereos to warrant them investing time into adding features. I for one would love to see an option to add climate control, which the Maestro would work with.

As for the progress on the aftermarket stereo install, I have hit a couple of road blocks. I can't get the steering wheel controls to operate, both the PAC and AXXESS controls aren't communicating with the CANBUS. Luckily PAC is a few hours away and their engineer is willing to take a look at the issue.

I will post final install photos later today as there are a few other parts needed to complete the install.

·
Registered
258 Posts
True PAC Audio is awesome for tech support.

Maestro does show quite a few options for the Promaster if you search f it on their site.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maestro does have more options but not for the Promaster. Maybe with time more upfitters will be putting in aftermarket stereos to warrant them investing time into adding features. I for one would love to see an option to add climate control, which the Maestro would work with.

As for the progress on the aftermarket stereo install, I have hit a couple of road blocks. I can't get the steering wheel controls to operate, both the PAC and AXXESS controls aren't communicating with the CANBUS. Luckily PAC is a few hours away and their engineer is willing to take a look at the issue.

I will post final install photos later today as there are a few other parts needed to complete the install.
Looking forward!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sounds like radio delete is a useful option. I'm thinking they must have to add a module of some sort to handle warning chimes and such.
Sorry to hear it's such an ordeal to change the factory unit. I hate that basic vehicle functions are integrated into radios these days. Left front speaker went out on a friends Cobalt and now there is no turn signal warning.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the delay! Busy time of year for me as I am a Stand Up Paddleboard and Kiteboard sales rep, everyone wants their fix right now!

Anyways, here is the news so far:
1 . With the factory head unit removed the odometer will flash. No big deal, you just have to get use to it.

2. If the battery dies or you disconnect the battery, the time will flash on the instrument panel. You will have to take out your factory head unit to change the time to get it to stop flashing.

3. The Metra wiring harness is good, but wont work with your factory Bluetooth mic. I tried to splice into the wire I thought were the factory mic but no luck. I just used the Pioneer one that came with the head unit.

4. The Metra harness does work with the back up camera, where as the more expensive Maestro wont. However, since the camera works off of CANBUS (or so i think) it is constantly on which throws my Pioneer head unit off. I have to turn the camera on and off via the radio settings. I did not hook up the reverse camera wire on the head unit so this could also be the problem... for now, not a big deal.

5. The blue connector on the back of the factory radio is for GPS and SAT radio, if you remove the blue plastic clip (dont know the name of this fancy European connection) it will plug straight into the SiruisXM vehicle tuner!

6. I still have no steering wheel controls. I am going to try to work with PAC when I head over to the Tampa area next. Their main programmer said he would look at it. The people at Axxess/Metra were total assholes when I called them, their tech support SUCKS!

Here is the total parts list for the plugs and adapters you will need:
Radio antenna adapter: Metra 40-EU10 Antenna
Radio harness : Metra XSVI-6523-NAV XSVI
Radio Dash Kit: Metra 95-6523 Installation Dash Kit for 2014-Up Ram Promaster Truck
SiriusXM Antenna kit: SiriusXM SXV300v1

Here is the head unit and video by-pass:
1. Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS 7"
2. MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The blue connector is called 'Fakra' it is commonly used with gps antennas.
Yes thank you! They also use it on the AM/FM antenna connection as well. Most places like Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix, etc. all have different information about the parts needed to make the aftermarket head unit pair up.

So far the Pioneer unit has been solid. I just need to fix the backup camera and the steering controls and I am in business!

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you get the backup camera issues sorted I'll go for it myself.

My free year of Sirius just expired. I started streaming Apple Music to the Uconnect and it sounds horrible. I know it's not an Apple Music issue, because I stream it in the wife's car, and it sounds great. The Uconnect must be a turd on the Bluetooth side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the forum.hi to all.

i m a pro installer and just wanted to give you guys few info about upgrading.

Ram promaster-2014
5100 Nex pioneer deck
6.5 inch component front door speakers
Maestro Module and chry-3 harness.
pioneer reverse camera.

This combination is a perfect fit and works awesome.
Flashing mile on the panel still is a problem.
stock backup camera works like original with the module but i did not like the location on that camera.did locate by the licence plate and use a better quality.
Speakers need a 1/2 inch foundation.using PVC is what i prefer but Mdf dipped to fiberglass resin is also works fine.
did quit using bare mdf for door panels long time ago.

This flashing issue makes me sick but i am on it.if i find a solution i will let you guys know.

thanks.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts