Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Battery Doctor isolator and when I tried to start the van it would not start and the key is now stuck in the ignition switch. I disconnected what I had done and still no start. Radio and lights work. This is a picture of the warning lights that are on.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Ouch!
Not wanting to harm anything and not knowing what will work, I would disconnect the negative cable to your battery, check the positive cable to be sure it is tight and reattach the negative to reset the computer.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hooked up my Bat Doc last week , no prob. Put a 150 amp maxi in the stock location and ran big cable back to Bat Doc. Did it like most folks here . Followed Bat Doc directions, routed cables like KOV . Started van , blue light on , 14.4 volts . Turn van off, blue light goes off when surface charge returns to under 13 volts. Pop a fuse ?
Power distribution is OEM "starter" cable on a 250 amp maxi goes out to underhood fuse / circuit breaker /relay box . 2 70 amp midi fuses feed under dash fuse panel . And maybe an add on CB/fuse. My experiance is with a stubby gasser. Get a test light / volt meter and check fuses.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Good point RD. When I disconnected my van batt to install the bolts ( cut down battery clamp square head bolts ) for the additional maxi fuse I hooked up a 12v power supply to the van so the van never lost power.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've had key stuck a few times in my PM. Not wiring but steering wheel in a certain position and pressure on the drivetrain-like parked on a hill or pushed up against a curb. Wiggling steering wheel while working key worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Agreed, wiggle the steering wheel if you already haven't and the key should come right out. It happens to me regularly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read that the key will sometimes get stuck if you have a short. I'm going to start checking fuses, like KNDLKSTMS suggests. I don't think my wife is too impressed with my battery work and I'm just hoping this is nothing major.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you do find a blown fuse check the wiring downstream . I get "focused" on a project and get ahead of myself and plug stuff backwards . That's why I use color code wire, connectors , etc. And that's the way the factory does the same thing , so the dipstick on the assy line can slap things together faster without thinking at all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve got warning lights for electronic stability control, electronic stability control off, seat belt, air bag, anti-lock braking and brakes on. When I turn the key I get a message to service the air bags. I read that if a safety system is in jeopardy that your key will be locked in the ignition until repair but that the engine will start (with a jump if needed) so that you can drive to the dealer. I have a charged battery buy it will not start.

Ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Remove the key, lock and then unlock the van from outside with the FOB to disable the antitheft system? Does engine turn over and no ignition or does it not respond to the key at all? I am assuming you can now remove the key? Ignition solenoid click?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remove the key, lock and then unlock the van from outside with the FOB to disable the antitheft system? Does engine turn over and no ignition or does it not respond to the key at all? I am assuming you can now remove the key? Ignition solenoid click?

Thank you, I just tried the lock-unlock with the fob, but key is still stuck in ignition. After reading that the Promaster will lock your key in the ignition if a safety feature is compromised I am not going to try to remove the key. I am guessing that the airbags and/or the anti-breaking and/or the electronic stability control systems are POed and
have run amuck. :( When I turn the key the radio and warning lights come on but no other noise or movement.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
It sounds like the antitheft system is activated and it is not a connection issue. I would attach my ODB2 code reader and try to delete any codes to possibly get the key out. I am surprised the battery disconnect did not reset some of this.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,485 Posts
I would check the SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM the relay is at the base of the shifter. Try shifting out of park with key on/off, foot on/off brake. Unplug the relay and try again. I assume all fuses are ok and the steering wheel is not locked.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blown Fuse

YEAH! All fixed.
Thanks for the answers, friends. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thank goodness !!! I'm afraid of these newfangled vans/cars . Not because the metal/plastic arrangement but because of the lack of info available to the public . After I accepted KOVs advice and realised the van's wiring should be left alone . One cable big enough from the van battery to supply charge amps to the camper setup. Period.
What fuse did you blow and do you know why ??? It just takes a "flick" to ground to blow even the big ones.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sooo, what was the answer that worked?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It was in the title of Skaggydog's post: "Blown Fuse" (which may be helpful to me today, since I am currently trying to figure out why MY key is stuck). :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts