Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've got all the proper wires, but I'm a little confused about how to hook up the sub/amp combo to the battery. This battery doesn't look like a normal battery. There's tons of different wires and things popping out of it. Is it safe to disconnect these things from the main terminals (obviously negative first)? Any other steps required before messing with the battery?

Also confused about how to access the rear of the radio. Does anyone know if the PMC stock radio (not UConnect) has stereo line level RCA outputs? If so how can I access the back of the radio? If not, where should I feed the regular speaker lines to? The sub is one of those flat "under the seat" style sub/amp combos and I'm putting it under my driver's seat. Obviously the driver side door speaker would be the best place to jack into, but not exactly sure how the wires are routed. I'm assuming through that wire sleeve in between the door and van?

Anyway, not looking for all the answers just a push in the right direction :) If I have to hire someone to install it I will but I'd like to know how to direct them so they don't screw anything up in my van. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you don't know what you're doing, it may be best to hire someone. If you hire someone, you shouldn't need to direct them. If you want to do it yourself, here's a good push in the right direction:

1. Pull the stereo from the dash, and hook into the speaker wires through the wire harness. Don't go through the weatherproof part between the door and van. You can pull the stereo pretty easily with some bent pieces of stiff wire poked through the 4 holes on the front of the unit. Use wire connectors that allow you to tap into the wires without cutting them.

2. to run your power line through the firewall, there's a hole up under the dash, near the brake pedal I think. There's a rubber plug filling the hole. You'll probably have to pull that plug out and cut a small hole in it, then push the wire through the hole in the plug and put the plug back in the firewall. Do NOT sneak the power cable in between the hole in the firewall and the rubber plug. The sharp edge of the hole will wear out the insulation on the wire and cause a short.

3. Ground as close to the sub as you can, maybe to a bolt that holds the seat in.

4. If any of this doesn't make sense to you, please hire someone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still haven't got around to installing this so figured I'd reply! I've installed car radios and subs once before without issue. That all seems to make sense to me. I've located the rubber stopper on the firewall and shouldn't have any issues removing the radio. My only other question would be about the battery. Since there are quite a few instruments and wires that seem to be drawing power directly from the battery. Going to get my oil changed and brakes checked this weekend so I'll ask the dealership techs about the battery. Thanks :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you've done other stereos and subs, you'll be fine.

I'm sure you can just tap into any bolt on the + side of the battery. When I did my sub install, I just picked the easiest bolt on the battery to get to. No worries! It looks a lot worse than it is.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pick a spot on the battery terminal and be done!
I have so many items hooked up to the positive terminal (1 powered sub, 1 sub amp, fog lights, LED lights...) but with the large alternator on these guys, you will have no signs of power draw.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts