Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is this conversion being done in Austin? Did you notice what layout was being installed?
I am considering a low roof Sportsmobile conversion.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I had a sad day last weekend when I finally test drove a diesel 159, and found out I'm too tall to stand up completely in the cargo area (I'm 6'6").

Been searching and pondering options--- this was one that I stumbled upon... Not sure yet, tho...

thanks!

Jimmy

·
Registered
1 Posts
found out I'm too tall to stand up completely in the cargo area (I'm 6'6")
Wait, I'm confused... you couldn't stand in the sports mobile pop top (prototype??) or the plain jane 159 high top (which is like 6'4" internal right?)? I'm really keeping my eyes on a 118 low roof diesel with pop-top/custom camper interior as an eventual replacement for my '72 VW westy. I'm 6'2" and standing up is essential while camping to me. Kinda the Hymercar Sydney.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry- been busy and tired lately... I was probably incoherently rambling... :)

I meant I could not stand 100% upright in the plain jane High Roof Promaster. Yes, it probably is around 6'4"

I was thanking the OP- this new pop top is definitely a possible solution for me...

thanks,

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
......cut....... I'm really keeping my eyes on a 118 low roof diesel with pop-top/custom camper interior as an eventual replacement for my '72 VW westy. I'm 6'2" and standing up is essential while camping to me. Kinda the Hymercar Sydney.
At one time the Sportsmobile site indicated only the 136 low-roof would have the Penthouse option. The latest info also suggest the ProMaster Penthouse will have 6 feet of headroom when down and 9 feet when up. The shorter 118 wheelbase may have to come from a different builder.

I'm curious to see what options they come up with when working with so much height. I like a Euro design that places a bed in a penthouse over the van's factory high roof, and it makes me wonder if something similar can be done with SMB penthouse but scaled down.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure what facility this picture was from...Sportsmobile just sent it to me to confirm they will have a penthouse top by end of January for production. Just thought some would be interested. Originally they told me they would have this in October 2014. I started a build thread on the Promaster I just picked up. Going to take a good part of a year to get the build done...finances a usual will dictate the progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts