Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking into a ProMaster or a Sprinter for my adventure moto hauler/camper as my next build.

I'm particularly interested in the diesel if and when it comes out.

D

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Hi. D K.

Many of us have made the same comparison. I chose the PM because it was a much better value, had front wheel drive (will be important this winter), and because it is well designed to convert to a camper/hauler.

Google european sites for Ducato. The european version of the PM has been around for years.

Some folks are real impressed with the Mercedes 3 pointed star but from what I learned from Sprinter forum is that those are expensive and unreliable.

But whatever works for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The diesel is out and they are building them as fast as they can. For some reason most dealers still only have the gas ones on the lot. There is about a 3 month lead time when you order one to be built for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the Mercedes is unreliable, it just comes down to personal taste.

I like the look of the ProMaster a little more than the Sprinter, but the Sprinter has been out longer.
The Ducato in Europe comes with a different diesel that isn't offered here I understand.

I've been trying to scour up some real fuel econ data, but all that I've send is data for the small engine in Europe.

I saw one in person at a race that I was at and got me real intrigued.

Downside is that the EXT only comes in a 3500 whereas the Sprinter comes in 2500 also.

Lower floor height on the PM is an advantage, but then again, it limits ground clearance.

So many pros and cons, I really hope to drive the PM Diesel to have a better idea what's what.

D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Welcome D K
If you look at a Sprinter and a Promaster side by side,the PM has the same ground
clearance as the Sprinter except the rear axle. The floor is up if you open the side
door and see the extra step. Needs room for the drive shaft and rear end.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,839 Posts
You have to admit, though, that you don't go over anything taller than the rear axle can go over. What is the ground clearance of the Sprinter?

I used to think the Sprinter was the coolest thing on the road and lusted after it desperately. Now I think, Gosh, that thing is narrow. We are both 5'6. It is huge to be able to have the bed horizontal--like gaining a couple extra feet in length because it's hard to efficiently use the slivers beside a longitudinal bed.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I believe the 3.0 diesel in the PM is available in Europe and has the same roboticly shifted manual transmission. If someone knows if they are sourced from Europe to the build site in Mexico I would like to know and would not be surprised.
In Europe they are:
(Fiat Multijet II common-rail diesel engine 3.0-litre unit-177bhp and the transmission is called the Comfort-matic)

I have looked under the PM to see if there is room to put tanks if needed. The entire engine and drive except the exhaust is under the cab! Even the fuel tank... its a converter's dream.

I saw one site that reported tested fuel mileage at 30.5 mpg US (not British!) I expect it to be a bit less here as modifications were done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the PM gets anywhere near 30mpg, I'm buying one tomorrow!!!

A wet dream that I have would be to build a variable wheelbase cab/chassis.

A short wheelbase, tandem axle would be used for a 5th wheel type trailer that resembles a mini semi truck and a long wheelbase used with a motorhome type box.

Yes, I know, a WET dream.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Yes, I know, a WET dream.
That wet spot will smell an awful lot like diesel fuel mixed with a faint addition of Urea. Chuckle>:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I gather that you want to use this as a motorcycle hauler. I'm doing just that. The lower floor height was THE big advantage over anything else out there, because of far easier loadng and unloading. I opted for low roof because it's still high enough to stand up inside with my head ducked a little - it's still fine for loading/unloading the bike and for changing clothes, getting up in the morning after sleeping in it overnight, etc.

I somehow doubt the diesel will get 30 mpg US in normal driving, but mid-to-high 20's is pretty likely. My gas one is showing 11.2 L/100 km (about 21 mpg US) lifetime average on the trip computer and that's with mostly highway at around 100 - 105 km/h (65 mph). City traffic conditions will be worse ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to haul bikes as well as shifter karts.
I also plan to tow a race car on a open trailer (as opposed to truck/enclosed trailer) occasionally.

The freedom with a fwd is that you can do whatever you want in the back.

Im probably gonna go with a plain jane cargo vand, but a crew chassis (4 door cab/chassis) would open up a lot of possibilities if I had a lot of money.
A flat bed for hauling the race car, a box for everything else..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good to see there are other dirtbikers on here using the PM as a hauler/camper. Great minds think alike. Not trying to knock any other sports. I love how versatile these things are and the Gas Mileage rocks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts