Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I am in the process of replacing a Ford E350 7.3 Powerstroke van that has been a great vehicle (290,000K) but we've outgrown it. I've narrowed it down from the Promaster, Transit, and Sprinter to the Promaster gas or diesel. We run about a 2 hour radius from our office and have 20 to 30 office visits a day with the average visit lasting less than 10 minutes. Currently our E350 diesel is rarely turned off from the time it is started till the end of the workday and it averages a solid 17 mpg. It doesn't have to run continously but with the Powerstroke we just leave it running. To maximize route effeciency I need the 159' High Top and am torn between the simplicity of the proven gas combo and the effeciency of the diesel setup. I have test driven the gas and diesel and like them both. A friend has the gas hightop extended and consistenly gets 18 with mixed driving. We run a lot in the hills of East KY and TN and will have at most 1500 pounds on board. I've alway been a diesel person and am afraid of killing the van with the gas engine. However, I've been reading the nightmares that the Mitubishi commercial trucks have been having with the same Fiat 3.0 diesel and automated manual. We can't afford downtime and I'm much more concerned with having safe dependable vehicles than trying to squeeze out a few extra mpg. Sorry for the lengthy story and thanks in advance for the advice and comments.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
Welcome! Hopefully you will find the answers to your questions here.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Welcome!
Had 1998 Ford Diesel Power Stroke cube van for 13 years and never had no major problems with it. I like Diesels BUT I was afraid of the emissions things. So I bought the gassser. Love it!!
Promaster 159 gas. highroof.
Sold the Ford.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
18mpg mixed is high for a 159 high roof with a load. I would say 16mpg mixed should be expected.

159 high roof 3500 gas here. 13k miles and zero issues. No visits to the dealer. If MPG is not a huge concern then get the gas. If you want the most fuel efficient cargo van available you can't beat the diesel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
, I've been reading the nightmares that the Mitubishi commercial trucks have been having with the same Fiat 3.0 diesel and automated manual. We can't afford downtime and I'm much more concerned with having safe dependable vehicles than trying to squeeze out a few extra mpg. Sorry for the lengthy story and thanks in advance for the advice and comments.[/QUOTE]

Were can we find information about the nightmares that Mitubishi commercial trucks are having with the Fiat 3.0 diesel and the automated manual?

What are the problems?

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is not the same engine the Promaster uses...that one is a twin turbocharged dual overhead cam engine. The engine in the Promaster has a single turbo and has been in use since 2007.

·
Registered
625 Posts
And that article is talking about a dual clutch transmission, the one in the diesel PM is a single clutch setup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2015 159 gasser. Around town every fillup basically 16 mpg. On the highway gets 19 to 20. 4500 dollars cheaper than a diesel. Not thousands to fix when needed. Plenty of power. Shifts good. Drives great. Doesnt smell. Go gas. :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think I'd wait another 6 months for RAM to solve their diesel issues before considering one. It would be gas only if buying now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
diesel vs. gas

I special ordered my diesel. I suspect that one could debate diesel vs. gas based on economics and no one would agree. I just flat like the low maintenance of the diesel. I particularly like the manual mode on the transmission. I do not even use the auto mode. Gas mileage is running about 25/gal. So far no problems. Fun to drive with nice low rpm torque.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My personal trucks are Diesel. I thought long and hard about going Diesel in the van.....

With Dodge using this one V6 gasser in ALL Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep vehicles that parts and availability would be much more doable than with the hard to find Diesel engine.

I can't afford to have my trucks parked. That was my only reason for going with the gas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just joined this forum. I bought a new 2014 Promaster 159"high top long Eco Diesel on March 10 2015. Drove it home 150 miles and at 300 miles dash lit up with 200 miles till shutdown. By chance added 2 gallons Def fluid and that worked but check engine lite came on then. Local Dodge dealer not certified so had to drive back 150 miles to dealer I bought from. Got there 9:30 am and refused to look at it until closing. They gave me loaner junk and said it was ERG valve on back order but would get van from other dealer and swap. Said would deliver to my house Monday. Never showed so then said done by Tuesday I drove up and waited 5 hours and found out had been pushed back several times. Got van back everything good with 800 miles on but don't trust it. I am an expeditor and need reliability. Hopefully will treat me right.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you can live without the extra few inches, get a 2500 vs a 3500 extended. There is zero difference between them, and i believe the msrp difference is around $3000.

My own opinion is that the gasser will be more reliable in the long term, if for no other reasons than not needing a specialized mechanic and not relying on low volume diesel parts.

So if you get a 2500 gas vs a 3500 extended diesel, you can buy a lot of fuel with the $7000 you saved.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It all depends on what you do with the van. Do you drive many miles in a year. Do you tow a lot? If you answer yes to these questions then the diesel will pay for itself quickly.

I drive 80k+ miles a year. My fuel cost is about 10k or more a year. It doesn't take much to save that 7k that you pay more for the diesel van.

Btw, the idea that a gasser is easier to fix is more or less a mith. All new engines have more electronic crap on them than years ago. One of my friends has a gas promaster bought new in January 2014. He has a109k miles on it and about 3 weeks ago the van had a hiccup, check engine light came on and put him in limp mode. Drove it to the dealer, had some kind of oil pump code. They said that the oil might be contaminated. Changed the oil, reset code and sent him on his way. 30 miles later same thing happened. Took it back, they didn't know what else to do to it so they sent him to another dealer. There they changed some sensor, sent him on his way. 50 miles later the same thing happened. Back at the dealer, changet some other sensor, they drove it extensively, no more problems, sent him on his way. An hour down the road he is back to square one. Back to the dealer, they change the oil pump and finally that fixed it. 2 weeks and $2000 spent, and who knows how much lost in revenue. So much for gas engines being easier to fix.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Just bought a diesel and the added cost was $4,500 MSRP but for that I got the 225 amp alternator which I needed anyway and with sales discount it would be $4200. The sensors etc will average out with the gasser I agree, but two factors favor the diesel.... Ultimate lifetime should be better and resale if that happens should return some of the money. I bought a new Promaster partly because of the ridiculous high prices on used diesel Sprinters with 200K miles or less on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for the informative feedback. Even though I am a diesel nut and currently have four other diesels, I decided to go the gas route and picked it up today. It is a gas 159' extended 3500 hightop. We drove it about 230 miles today with 65/70 mph highway speeds and quite a bit of stop and go city driving. The whole day was rainy and windy but the van didn't get blown all over the highway. It also had 800 pound in the back and got 18.2 mpg for the day. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 2014 Promaster high top 159" wheelbase DIESEL March 2015.
Next day, 150 miles throttle lite came on. Was told any Dodge dealer would work on it, NOT!
Returned next day 150 miles to nearest dealer and they looked at it half hour before closing and said needed EGR valve but had to wait till Monday. Gave me minivan. Came back Monday and told to come back Tuesday.
My temper was noticed!! Tuesday picked up and drove 1500 miles and def lite came on saying will shut down in 200 miles but shut down in parking lot in downtown New York City. Towed to a dealer and fixed but said it would shut down at any time. My driver drove back home 1500 miles and my dealer offered a buyback or trade for a 2015 gas model which I took along with a check for 6000.00. I love gas version but went under on expediting because of undependable van. I use as personal van now and has only 4000 miles and averages 18 to 21 mpg' mostly empty. Beware of diesel for now. I got 23 to 24.7 mpg with diesel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts