Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started on my 2017 high roof extended bed (144") for the wife and I. I really appreciate everyone sharing their builds and know how, it has been a big help so far.

Completed:
Bed frame in (used steel rails attached with plusnuts, with a center wood support, will sleep perpendicular to the van sidewalls on a short (75") queen mattress)
Some of the wall & ceiling insulation done (Noico rattletrap, Thinsulate (from Hein) and Reflectix),
Installed rigid insulation and plywood subfloor (kept it thin since I'm 6'3").
Partial kitchen (two Ikea cabinets),
Maxxair Deluxe Fan (above rear bed platform),
Dometic TC-21US Portable Thermo Electric Cooler/Warmer 21 Quart, Gray/Green (got it used for $96, hopefully it works for us, if not I'll have to get a real Dometic fridge or something similar)
Got two large storage bins on wheels for garage under platform bed (https://www.containerstore.com/s/ga...-all-trunk-with-wheels/12d?productId=10005098)

To do:
Install 41"x16" C.R. Lawrence sliding window & screen in sliding door (this Friday)
Mount two Renogy 150 watt panels to roof (hopefully this weekend)
Decide on build your own solar system vs Be Prepared Solar's SOLGEN 25P 2500 watt solar generator (would love feedback on anyone that knows about this system)
Purchase high end folding chairs (2) and table (with a small footprint) to be used in and out of the van (would love feedback on this)
Install 1/8" birch plywood to entire ceiling and to inner wall panels (leaving ribs exposed, still debating this, will definitely have to do this by the bed so I fit)
Backup camera coming tonight (Rampage Jeep Products 7710 Black/Silver Medium Portable Wi-Fi Backup Camera) rechargeable, magnetic and connects with it's own wifi to your phone/tablet) Will report back on how it works.
Build track system to allow easy access to storage bins

Thanks for having me and would love any constructive feedback,

Chris

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
To do: Install 1/8" birch plywood to entire ceiling and to inner wall panels (leaving ribs exposed, still debating this, will definitely have to do this by the bed so I fit)
I installed 1/8" mahogany ply on the ceiling last summer. See post 51 in our build thread. It has since developed ripples and bulges (winter humidity?). I'll probably end up replacing it with 1/4" while it's still relatively easy to access. Live and learn. I've stopped sweating over an 1/8" here or 1/4" there. I'll be putting 1/4" on the walls, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info., and that's something I didn't consider. I'm assuming the mahogany was sealed. Either case, I may now end up going with that thin plastic wainscotting material for the ceiling and perhaps cover it with roof liner fabric or something similar.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Decide on build your own solar system vs Be Prepared Solar's SOLGEN 25P 2500 watt solar generator (would love feedback on anyone that knows about this system)
Welcome.

I'm not familiar with this particular system, but there's been healthy debate about similar systems in the forum. This one may be better received because of the AGMs.

Here's a link to the most recent thread of a lithium system:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71266

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'm really leaning towards a simple solar/power solution as I know next to nothing of electrical. Was considering the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 (will be on sale from $1799 to $1399 for Black Friday). I know even at that price it is expensive vs do it yourself systems. I'm waiting to hear back from Be Prepared Solar regarding some of my questions to see if it may be suitable. They seem to have more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm semi-neutral on these systems, as long as people know what they are getting into. This one looks a bit large and monolithic. Space is wasted if it isn't fully populated.

I'll say I know next to nothing about carpentry, or laying flooring or a myriad of things that my build will require-- yet with this forum and YouTube and other resources, I'll figure it out somehow and you will too, given some extra time. Consider slowing down, taking a breath, and thinking and planning through everything you are going to do. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good advice. Yeah, I'm decent at carpentry and remodeling projects in general and have most of the power tools already, but electrical may be one of those things I never get very proficient at. I'm going for a fairly simple, modular van build (easy to disassemble and use as a cargo van when needed). In 5 years we're looking to retire and I may live in the van as we're building the retirement home. After a few test runs (first will be Dec 2nd to Cambria, CA) we'll evaluate what we need to tweak and what we need to add or subtract from the van.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm decent at carpentry and remodeling projects in general and have most of the power tools already, but electrical may be one of those things I never get very proficient at.
Why then the Ikea cabinets? I'll admit I planned to use them too at first, but got talked out of them by some of the long-timers here.

Per the electrical, you may achieve a more suitable solution at the same or a better price than turn-key systems by enlisting outside help from a friend, a neighbor or a solar or RV company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm decent at carpentry, but certainly no cabinet maker. Ikea fits the bill for bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm really leaning towards a simple solar/power solution as I know next to nothing of electrical. Was considering the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 (will be on sale from $1799 to $1399 for Black Friday). I know even at that price it is expensive vs do it yourself systems. I'm waiting to hear back from Be Prepared Solar regarding some of my questions to see if it may be suitable. They seem to have more bang for the buck.
See:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71562&highlight=$500+solar

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm decent at carpentry, but certainly no cabinet maker. Ikea fits the bill for bang for the buck.
Okay as you like, but be careful to secure your doors and firmly anchor your cabinets to your floor and walls.

Just remember, a van is not a kitchen; it's a vibration prone, G-force inducing, thermal and moisture gradient torture chamber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I will be attaching the cabinets with plus nuts (photo attached) at numerous locations. Not sure if I learned about those here or somewhere else, but they seem superior to rivnuts, as far as holding capacity as they grip much more of the metal from the backside. They were expensive, about $70 for a 100 and another $70 for the tool, but in the long run I think it was $ well spent.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
227 Posts
V.C. here also , From Emma Wood to Refugio and every campsite in between ..Good luck with your build.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts