Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to find the ProMaster Forum, it's a great resource!

I've got a new 2018 gas 159" wheelbase on order. Arriving in June (I hope!)

Planning to lightly camper-ize it for traveling (as opposed to living in it). The plan is to road trip for about a month at a time during good travel seasons (Spring and Fall) throughout Canada at first. And then throughout the US and possible venture into Mexico after.

I have been reading about all your experiences and innovative ideas on this forum.

Will be happy to share my own thoughts and findings as I go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm happy to find the ProMaster Forum, it's a great resource!

I've got a new 2018 gas 159" wheelbase on order. Arriving in June (I hope!)

Planning to lightly camper-ize it for traveling (as opposed to living in it). The plan is to road trip for about a month at a time during good travel seasons (Spring and Fall) throughout Canada at first. And then throughout the US and possible venture into Mexico after.

I have been reading about all your experiences and innovative ideas on this forum.

Will be happy to share my own thoughts and findings as I go.
Hey Travel, I am 5 hrs East of you in the sunny Shuswap (snowy at the moment I have to say) :)...I ordered a 2018 gas 159" on Sept 30th last year..it is due (fingers crossed) the end of this month...similar ideas to yourself only with a dirt bike twist..look forward to reading your posts.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Travel, I am 5 hrs East of you in the sunny Shuswap (snowy at the moment I have to say) :)...I ordered a 2018 gas 159" on Sept 30th last year..it is due (fingers crossed) the end of this month...similar ideas to yourself only with a dirt bike twist..look forward to reading your posts.
Hi DCGH! Just snowed down here overnight. A light dusting by most N. America standards.

I'm curious: I was told my factory order would take 4 months. By my calculation, yours will end up taking 5. Can you comment on your wait? What were you told initially?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi DCGH! Just snowed down here overnight. A light dusting by most N. America standards.

I'm curious: I was told my factory order would take 4 months. By my calculation, yours will end up taking 5. Can you comment on your wait? What were you told initially?
I wasn't given an exact delivery time..on reading the forums, the average time seems to be 20-24 weeks..I asked for some specific options and the Granite Grey colour which apparently can slow the process, that said mine has been sitting on the dock in Mexico for two weeks, my dealer said it had made it's way onto the boat this week so the delivery date is getting firmer.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't given an exact delivery time..on reading the forums, the average time seems to be 20-24 weeks..I asked for some specific options and the Granite Grey colour which apparently can slow the process, that said mine has been sitting on the dock in Mexico for two weeks, my dealer said it had made it's way onto the boat this week so the delivery date is getting firmer.
Ah, I see. If it's on the boat or if it will be, it won't be long. I heard it'll show up in a port in Washington state and then cross the border justa few days after that.

I've also ordered some less common options (220A alternator, rear and side glass) that may impact things. :-(
I was actually told 3 to 4 months and I'd be happy if it was at the longer end but at most 4.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ah, I see. If it's on the boat or if it will be, it won't be long. I heard it'll show up in a port in Washington state and then cross the border justa few days after that.

I've also ordered some less common options (220A alternator, rear and side glass) that may impact things. :-(
I was actually told 3 to 4 months and I'd be happy if it was at the longer end but at most 4.

Best of luck to you!
I ordered the 220 Alt, side and rear glass as well, tow package and a couple of other things, also I wanted the bench passenger seat as apparently I have to take my daughter with me as well, which doesn't seem fair ( kidding). Knowing my luck the boat will sink !! :0

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings, mainlander! There are several of us over here on the island, too!
Hello Steve! I just clicked on your build thread. Looks excellent and I will learn a lot. Will read it in depth later.

I ran into a number of PM camper vans on the Island last year. Including someone from the Netherlands who shipped his Ducato from Amsterdam to Baltimore for a huge N. American tour. He happened to be in Sayward when I ran into him (and his wife). It was fully decked out RV though, a 2007 model.

Someone in Cumberland was building out his PM in the Library parking lot! (Apparently he lived in the condos upstairs and so was legitimately using the shared parking lot.)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Ha, small world! I think I saw the same Dutch couple at the Tsartlip boat ramp in Brentwood Bay. He'd just returned from a paddle and was stowing his inflatable kayak in their RV with EU-NL plates. Wish I'd had time to talk, but it was our turn to use the ramp.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful! I sat in a 136 version of your van at my dealer. It had a passenger slider window and rear glass and that convinced me that I wanted those things too (I originally had thought I didn't want windows at all).

Wishing you all the best and happy travels in it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Beautiful! I sat in a 136 version of your van at my dealer. It had a passenger slider window and rear glass and that convinced me that I wanted those things too (I originally had thought I didn't want windows at all).

Wishing you all the best and happy travels in it.
I selected both those options, the sliding door glass makes junctions etc easier as it increases your view, I also opted for the folding mirrors which helps when parking in tight spaces. The backup camera helps and is now standard as well..driving is easy but then I used to drive a Semi :) My wife drove the van yesterday and had no issues with the size (159" high roof).
All in all a nice drive for a van.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After over 7 months waiting, my PM has arrived. And now it's dominating my driveway! --and I really mean dominating! It's very obvious! :)

I was slightly worried that the neighbours would have something to say about it, but they didn't.

For the past few days, like many of you have I'm sure, I've been sitting on a chair in the middle of the cargo area pondering possibilities--in other words, having a good time!

It's just a white 159 High Top. I'm going for the stealthy look.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For the past few days, like many of you have I'm sure, I've been sitting on a chair in the middle of the cargo area pondering possibilities--in other words, having a good time!
HEY, Congrads! Every project needs a thinking chair (and a beer). Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello AGAIN!

I've been away for so long (like a year...!) that I thought I might need to "re-introduce" myself!

I did a basic build (more like a "prototype" build) on my 2018 159-inch high-roof and took it out on a few runs last year.

4 trips, 40 days total, 10,000 Km total.

And I'm proud to say it worked out! (Thanks to a lot of you here for some great ideas and or how-to's.)

I'm only a fair-weather traveler and so since last fall, my PM has been sitting in its parking pad, chilling and occasionally blanketed in snow.

It was to have gone out cross-country in May but...you all know what happened with the virus thing...

I look forward to getting re-acquainted with you all and seeing what wonderful things you have done to your PMs in the past year. More great ideas to absorb I'm sure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts