Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Promaster 2500 / 159" HT and we are pretty excited about it! Our plan is to do a full RV conversion, including a small washroom/shower, propane, solar etc. Our long term (5 year) plan is to build it out for a 1-2 year road trip from Alaska to Patagonia. My partner and I are both climbers, skiers, and mountain bikers, and will be building out the rig with these sports in mind.

I do have a number of "newbie" questions right out of the gate.

1) I live in Canada, and it appears to be a bit difficult to get aftermarket stuff and RV components. Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to get components (solar, kitchen, appliances, etc) in the Calgary/western canada area?

2) We need to add an extra seat behind the driver for the next couple years (will be replacing it with a bathroom in around 2-3 years). I am not really finding anything useful online for purchasing or adding aftermarket bench or bucket seats. We are thinking of hitting a junkyard and finding a suitable seat from another vehicle and bolting it to the floor. Honestly, I'm a little lost on what to do here, but any suggestions (including "you don't know what you are doing") are appreciated. I would love to find someone to swap the single passenger with a double passenger seat, however that doesn't seem to be an easy thing to find, at least where I live.

3) Aftermarket windows - Our van doesn't have any side windows and we want to add at least one, preferrably two windows. One of the sliding door, one on the back side panel. CR lawrence seems to have what we are looking for, but they only sell wholesale from the sounds of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best bang-for-buck solution, much appreciated! OEM style windows would be a plus, but we are open to more standard RV style windows if anyone knows where to buy one.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Welcome Jon. You will find all the answers (and more) to all your questions by using the search button on the top right side of the site. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,196 Posts
Hi Jon,

CR Lawrence windows are available from DK Hardware https://www.dkhardware.com And from CARID carid.com.

They make a window customized to the ProMaster in a frameless design. These are kind of pricey and freight in the US adds couple hundred more. CR also make a nice "universal non-countoured" window that does not have the curvature of the PM sidewall built in, but the curvature is so slight, the flat windows work well. I've got 4 of them in my PM and like them. And, they ship UPS.
My window install: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/promaster-diy-camper-van-conversion-adding-windows/

Motion Windows is another window maker to look at.

A lot of the stuff for my conversion was bought at Amazon or Home Depot -- they have a surprising amount of stuff for conversions.
Not sure how Amazon works from CA.

Alaska to Patagonia sounds amazing -- you should start a blog.
I understand that you will soon be able to get all the way up to Tuktoyaktuk on the Dempster Hwy -- maybe you should start from there? We are off to do the Dempster again later this month.

Gary

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hey, Jon. Greetings from Canada's South Pacific. I just took delivery of mine. Aren't they awesome?

I went with Motion Windows. They will ship to Canada for big bucks, so I'm picking mine up at the factory in a few weeks. CR Laurence is indeed wholesale, but some auto glass shops in Canada will order them for you (Broco does here). Email CRL and ask about Calgary.

Google everything. Canada has a few online RV supply stores (https://www.rvpartscanada.com/). Amazon.CA is good for some stuff too. Online marine supply stores carry 12V appliances. There are plenty of online solar energy stores up here serving off-the-grid folk. I have relatives/friends in the States, so I've also ordered stuff from Amazon.COM, which I will pick up when I go down and get my windows. You can even order stuff from Europe and Australia. I just got my riv-nuts off Aliexpress (China).

Be aware Canadian Customs gives a NAFTA (while it lasts) duty exemption on stuff made in the US and Mexico, but they can still charge you PST/GST on imports. The exchange rate currently sucks big time for us. Which means it's also a great time for Americans to visit!

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
117 Posts
I'm in Canada too, QC. I got my windows directly from a Chinese supplier of European and Australian RV manufacturers. It's the same as Seitz windows used by Westfalia and most European RV's. Cheaper than CR Lawrence, double pane, screen and blind all in one. Used for almost a year with no problems.
Most of the items I got from Amazon from the US. For the toilet we went with a composting unit, no blackwater tank! We don't have a shower, you can get showers in many campings and some rest areas, but I have room to add it in the future.

We basically copied the Westfalia layout, IMHO this and the other European have the best ergonomic approach.

PM if you are interested. I can import more windows directly as I have another business with China, but we need to pool with other people to make sense of the freight cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

Picking up the Van tonight, pretty excited. I ended up ordering the fixed CRL windows (FW385R) for the passenger sliding door through CanAlta glass. They were awesome to deal with, and I got the window for $415 or so. Picking those up in the next 2 days or so.

Regarding installing an additional bucket seat (2nd row seating), is a junkyard a good way to go, or does anyone have a better option? Thinking of just bolting straight through the frame putting some kind of steel plate on the undercarriage to secure it.

Thanks for the idea for a blog! We are on it :) We do a lot of adventure stuff as it is (), but hoping to provide some useful info on doing the van thing.

Some stuff we've already published (non van related). Sorry if any of it is lame... :)

- https://instagram.com/alpinejonny
-
-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts