Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
thank you for making an introductory post! I have moved it to the General Forum for you in order to give you more exposure . Good luck!

Hi ProMaster People -
I'm Catie, I have a 2018 ProMaster 1500 high roof conversion van that was stolen the other night from my driveway. I'm hoping to post on here about best ways to find it, surface photos of the van so people can keep an eye out on other forums and places it may pop up.

As most of you can imagine I've put a lot of money and effort into this thing and it's my most prized (and valuable) possession in my life.

Please if you live in the Salt Lake City or Murray UT areas (or anywhere for that matter) keep an eye out for the van attached in this post.

Details:
2018 Ram ProMaster, White highroof
Front lift with beefy black rimmed tires
Large windows on all sides
Solar on the roof
Front roof line nub lights
Body is in perfect shape
Inside is fully converted for living - has kitchen, bed, storage and wood stained a teal-ish color.
It had a temp tag on the back at the time it was stolen.

VIN: 3C6TRVBG6JE115874

Registered
I hope you find it quickly, in perfect shape and with a full tank of gas!

Were there signs of broken glass or any other indication of how they may have gained entry and stolen it?

Registered
2020 Promaster 2500, 159wb
Wow, sorry to hear of your loss! Keeping eyes peeled in Western CO.

I'd imagine as hot as the vans are these days they are prime theft targets! Guess i'll be locking mine for now on!

There is an Instagram group, #promasterconversion and #promastercampervans you may want to post in there too.

Good luck hope it is returned to you soon.

Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
I'm in SoCal not much help , but I'll definitely take a second glance whilst I'm on the road ...

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you find it quickly, in perfect shape and with a full tank of gas!

Were there signs of broken glass or any other indication of how they may have gained entry and stolen it?
No broken glass, Im wondering if my slider door didn't get slammed enough and the lock did engage, but I can only speculate. Locking my car is like a gut reaction so I can't recall doing anything differently that night.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in SoCal not much help , but I'll definitely take a second glance whilst I'm on the road ...
Appreciate cha! I don't really know how to keep an eye out for parts being sold on the internet or anything but thats something else I've been trying to do

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, sorry to hear of your loss! Keeping eyes peeled in Western CO.

I'd imagine as hot as the vans are these days they are prime theft targets! Guess i'll be locking mine for now on!

There is an Instagram group, #promasterconversion and #promastercampervans you may want to post in there too.

Good luck hope it is returned to you soon.
Thank you for the tip I did not know about those!

Registered
From my understanding in order to clone the key transponder, you will still need the original key insert it into van ignition key slot during the cloning process. Sounds like you might just bought the van from someone since you have a temp tag. Do they feel shady and have extra key??
There are three ways that I can think of moving the van. They are either towing, key (original or clone) and changing the van computer/ignition key (seems unlikely due to how much time it involves).

Even without locking/arming the van, you can't drive off without the original/ clone key. I tried starting my van with a key without the transponder and it only start the engine for a few seconds before the computer shut it off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Did they steal your key in order to drive the van?
From my understanding in order to clone the key transponder, you will still need the original key insert it into van ignition key slot during the cloning process. Sounds like you might just bought the van from someone since you have a temp tag. Do they feel shady and have extra key??
There are three ways that I can think of moving the van. They are either towing, key (original or clone) and changing the van computer/ignition key (seems unlikely due to how much time it involves).

Even without locking/arming the van, you can't drive off without the original/ clone key. I tried starting my van with a key without the transponder and it only start the engine for a few seconds before the computer shut it off.
Since I just bought it, i wanted to bring the spare to my family鈥檚 house over thanksgiving, so I'd put my stash key in it a few days ago so I wouldn't forget. They probably were looking for stuff to steal and found them. I didn鈥檛 know all of that previously mention tech involving the key.

Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
Yes, I'd like to know this too. As someone who's been to about 4 dealerships trying to get an aftermarket key programmed (unsuccessfully), there's a 0% chance this van was stolen without an original key or a tow truck.
Dealerships are not locksmiths , Find a reputable Automotive Locksmith in your area.

Registered
2017 159" High Roof
Dealerships are not locksmiths , Find a reputable Automotive Locksmith in your area.
I went to two of those too. Both thought they could program it but were wrong. I could get the keys cut but not programmed. If the key doesn't come from the dealer, it can't be programmed by a dealer or locksmith.

What are the odds that the thief had the key cut code and got access to an original key purchased by a dealer in order to program the second key while the owner wasn't looking? 0% The van was either stolen with an original key or a tow truck.

Super Moderator
Sounds to me like the OP simply left a spare key in the van and the thief found it and drove away.

Reactions: Uvan

Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 2300 Ext Cab
I will keep a eye out in Idaho/Wyoming area. I hope you van is found and returned safely. Stay Positive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts