Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from beautiful post-eclipse Portland, Oregon! I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 136" wb high top Promaster that I plan to convert for camping. I've had a few VW campers in the past but I'm excited to get my hands on a more reliable rig and to have the chance to camperize it to my tastes.

My current plan is to do a full size, (54" wide) bed across the back, bench for seating in front of that with storage under, stove / refer cabinet along wall behind the driver and swivel seats. Kind of similar to the traditional westy layout but a permanent bed rather than the z-bed. I've got more width and about 1' more length in the cargo area. My wife is a bit concerned about the length, but I'd prefer the 136" wb from a driving standpoint, I want to drive a camper, not a bus ;-)

I'm open to advice on this layout from folks who may have tried it, what worked and what didn't. I'm also open to any suggestions for alternative layouts. It will be me, my wife and our 50lb pooch. I'm sure I'll be full of questions as the build progresses!

Thanks,

David

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Big mistake getting a 136. Don't kid yourself, the 159 is no harder to dtive or park. For under @2k you'll get much more in a 159 and you'll discover it was well worth it ;)

Listen to your wife - they're always right. Don't believe me, just as her!

·
Registered
61 Posts
David.

Welcome!
I am doing a similar design on my 136 high top now and like you come with a westfalia history. My layout which I have cut out and am painting and assembling now is- Battery box across the floor behind both seats like MsNomer did. Then behind the drivers seat butted up to the 8 inch wide battery box I have a 30 x 27 shower pan/cassette toilet combo. The walls are 30 inches tall with a tracked curtain for showers and privacy along with a countertop that folds down for a large work surface. Further back on same side is a pull out chest fridge with a countertop, about 26 x 16.
I am left with 54 inches on the drivers side so there is a 54 x 36 inch bench/couch that forms a bed with the 18 x 18 bench on the other side. The 18 inch bench also has another hinged section that unfolds over the walkway to make a full bed across the back. When folded I have a 18 inch walkway from front to back of the van and can use the back door for an entry. In front of the bed on the passenger side is a 27 x 18 sink cabinet with a Ikea stainless drainboard sink.
I also will have narrow upper cabinets along both sides as well as swivel seats.
I am also planning on making so I can sleep lengthwise with my feet above the refer when traveling alone. It will also make for a longer bed.
It may sound like a lot in a 136 but it is working out great and still feels spacious.
Anyway, good luck with your build and maybe you can glean a few ideas from this. Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts