Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hello and happy Friday!

After daydreaming for a year+ about traveling with my own campervan, I finally realized it‘s time to make that dream a reality. I’m in the early stages of research and strategic planning.

I am grateful for this forum and excited to meet folks, especially anyone in/near Pittsburgh... should I need a pair of eyes or personal recommendation to check scary things like electrical work and plumbing. :)

Sara

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Sara, I'm in Pittsburgh, and picking up a 136, Highroof, 2500 van this week. The van will be primary used for woodworking, but I hope for it to be come a hybrid to allow for some family activities. Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
2019 159 high roof dual factory side windows.
10 Posts
Hello, hello and happy Friday!

After daydreaming for a year+ about traveling with my own campervan, I finally realized it‘s time to make that dream a reality. I’m in the early stages of research and strategic planning.

I am grateful for this forum and excited to meet folks, especially anyone in/near Pittsburgh... should I need a pair of eyes or personal recommendation to check scary things like electrical work and plumbing. :)

Sara
welcome!
If you run into any issues or need some advise post pictures and/or drawings here in the forum!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi. I’m in Akron if you need a consult. In short, the promaster is fully proven, fully sorted. It has one and only one real flaw - cam wear. It either happens around 110,000 miles or it never happens. The symptom is a single cylinder misfire, which will light the check engine light. If you are looking at a van with the light on, any Autozone or O’Reillys can read the code. A misfire is the ONLY thing that might make me not buy a particular van. It can be repaired, but it’s pricey. Any other defect you find is simply money off the purchase price. Assuming no codes, nothing else particularly to look for on the promaster, other than weird tire wear, presence of maintenance history (oil changes specifically) and body damage. They really dont break down much, and require almost no maintenance for the first 100k.

Reactions: Sara

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. I’m in Akron if you need a consult. In short, the promaster is fully proven, fully sorted. It has one and only one real flaw - cam wear. It either happens around 110,000 miles or it never happens. The symptom is a single cylinder misfire, which will light the check engine light. If you are looking at a van with the light on, any Autozone or O’Reillys can read the code. A misfire is the ONLY thing that might make me not buy a particular van. It can be repaired, but it’s pricey. Any other defect you find is simply money off the purchase price. Assuming no codes, nothing else particularly to look for on the promaster, other than weird tire wear, presence of maintenance history (oil changes specifically) and body damage. They really dont break down much, and require almost no maintenance for the first 100k.
Thank you! That is some really, really valuable insight!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Sara, I'm in Pittsburgh, and picking up a 136, Highroof, 2500 van this week. The van will be primary used for woodworking, but I hope for it to be come a hybrid to allow for some family activities. Good luck, Steve
Thats awesome Steve! Congratulations!

·
Registered
2019 159 high roof dual factory side windows.
10 Posts
AKRON!? I’m like 20 mins from you in canton area!
Small world!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts