Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

Just discovered this forum, and have already found some very useful information regarding the ProMasters!

I am in the planning stages of purchasing a 2017/8 PM 2500 159" High Top, with the intention of using it for my business as a material hauler for a few years, and then doing my own campervan conversion once I am able to take some time off and hit the road! I am a carpenter by trade, so doing a van conversion is right up my alley, and I am already very excited to start, even though it won't be for a bit. Just trying to find a good price on a new one and trying to decide little details like if I want the back door windows, etc.

Anybody have any good links to youtube series where people build out their PM and show a step by step sort of vlog process?

Anyway, looking forward to learning more and maybe one day sharing my process!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Anybody have any good links to youtube series where people build out their PM and show a step by step sort of vlog process?
Welcome! There are a few on this thread. Generally though if you subscribe to a few channels or binge watch for a while, YouTube will take the hint and start suggesting more and eventually you'll find some you like.

Warning: my taste in channels is a bit eclectic and likely not for everyone.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69802

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Ditto on the back door windows and slider windows. Then add a couple of awning type windows on the other side. We did that and one side is Stealth (plain van) and the other side is Campervanish! The window tint prevents anyone seeing in during the day and at night if you keep the lights off inside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear that people seem to like the back windows.

For availability's sake, what would be the difficulty / cost comparison between getting a brand new van with said windows, vs. just cutting in and installing some windows in the future?

Asking just because it is very easy to find a PM without the back and slider door windows, since they are used so widely commercially (same intent I have for use initially). Cost in my area for a 2500 HT, 159" regular size is about $33,000 for a 2017 model. Can't find any dealers in the area who have models with windows....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I actually opted to cover up my backdoor windows as we preferred the privacy in the rear sleeping area. Since they don't open they weren't much use to us. In terms of rearward visibility I installed a full-time rear view camera and monitor, that combined with the excellent mirrors (reg size not extended) has made for very easy driving and parking (with parking sensors and backup camera). I also like the look of no windows on white or light coloured vans, although mine is black and the windows are almost invisible now that they are covered with Noico on the inside. Side window is definitely needed, but you may prefer to add your own if you want an awning or slider that opens, that's what we did.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,193 Posts
hi,
I think you really want a window in the slider. For certain intersections and backouts, no window in the slider results in a big blind spot. We did not have a slider window in our conversion initially and ended up adding it after the fact.

I also like having the back windows. The backup camera is good, but not as good as back windows and the camera.

Not to plug my website, but there are a lot of detailed step by steps and design build info: www.buildagreenrv.com

Also lots of build threads here and on the Sprinter van and Transit van forums.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
10,851 Posts
Big mistake not to get the back door windows! Costly to add them later and very easy to just cover up if you want privacy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts