Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! Just bought a brand new 2016 ProMaster 1500 High Roof 136WB . A lot nicer than the ol' 2001 Ram Van 1500 (pic attached) that served me well for many years. I love the increase in cargo area, about 150% more room! I am a professional Handyman, so I need tools and supplies for all trades. Right now it is a blank slate, waiting for me to custom design and build shelves for great workflow. I love reading all the tips and tricks, so keep 'em coming.

A couple of things I wish this had, but it was the last one on the lot and a good price. It is the basic no-frills unit. Couple of things:

Why is there no 3.5 mm input jack? That is just plain silly. Guess I'll get one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-US...6?hash=item3f57e9b0e8:g:SaIAAOSwv-NWV7tZ#rwid

Really wish it had cruise control. Any suggestions? Can a dealer do it, or should I try one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-...h-250-3742-Lighted-Handle-Stalk-/252420375200

Heated seats would be nice, but not one of those $15 heating pads that sits on top. Would like a real one with a dash switch.

Might add a backup camera too. No windows in cargo area.

I WILL get some LED tape strip lights and brighten up the cargo area.

Once I'm done being a Handyman, then maybe I will convert it to a small RV and live in the van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

Looking forward to all the great ideas here. Just had shoulder surgery, so I can do all the planning and dreaming I want, but no work, for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Welcome. There are lots of interesting things to do with the empty box.

The dealer said they could not add cruise control so we made sure we bought one with it from the factory.

No 3.5 jack? Best that I can tell is because its really a Fiat. If it had the radio that was in our Dodge it would have one.

Our driver seat has a factory heated seat. It has an off-off switch on the base but no timer so it will roast you if you are not paying attention.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
It does have a USB plug in the cubby next to the steering wheel, see it back there? I just loaded up a 16 GB thumb drive with .mp3s and let it rip.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,074 Posts
It does have a USB plug in the cubby next to the steering wheel, see it back there? I just loaded up a 16 GB thumb drive with .mp3s and let it rip.
Mine (a 2014) has a 3.5 mm jack right below the USB port you mention.
I use it to play podcasts from my phone as my bluetooth is kind flaky.

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RD, I do have the USB port next to the steering wheel. But I like listening to Pandora, Google Music, YouTube playlists, or anything that I can output from my phone or a tablet. That won't work with that USB port. I could put all my music on a thumb drive, but then I'd have to search through all that. I just can't believe that with today's technology, there is no 3.5mm jack on the basic stereo.

I guess I could just replace the entire stereo with a new touchscreen, stereo, cd/dvd player, GPS and backup camera all-in-one.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Gosh it seemed so much better than my 8 track! I tried to “play” the iphone to that usb plug from the lightning connector- don’t work!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
I play Pandora through the speakers with my iPhone.

IIRC, do NOT pair the phone with the radio--no Bluetooth. Plug it in by the steering wheel. Start Pandora. Turn on radio. Music pauses when a call is made/received.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
With regards to Cruise Control...

Rostra makes a unit designed specifically for the Promaster. It is a different model number and might be a few more $. Model # Rostra 250-9642

I installed it on mine. It looks and works just like factory, and if you get the one made for PM, it will have all the wires set up to plug and play. There is only 1 wire that they tell you to solder up near the ignition key. Sounds tricky but it's not... really easy. Their instructions and video will get it installed by you in about an hour at most.

Best add on I've done! well, that,and the Engel fridge!
ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep, searched and searched, with a flashlight and a friend. No 3.5mm input ANYWHERE.

Thanks ProEd for the cruise information. I might do that sooner than later since there is one specifically for the PM, and it looks simple enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts