Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, My new Promaster, 136 gas hi roof, is on it's way to Maui and I wanted to start designing some shelving. Could someone measure the height of the top of the rear wheel well from the interior floor? I need a measurement so I can figure out the height of the lowest shelf that spans over the wheel well.

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
It is about 16.5 to 17 inches at the wall then it tapers down

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Went out and remeasured with a level and it is 17 So I would say 17.5 to be safe.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Great information to have for planning for other uses also. I noticed a ProMaster camper at the Houston RV Show that had a rear transverse dinette over the wheel wells. To my surprise it had a slight step up at the dinette -- probably around 6 inches to match front cab area. For shorter people placing a seat over a 17-inch wheel well may be too high.

There could be other reasons like visibility as well, but a seat with a cushion over 20 inches above floor would be too high for me. Elevated floor also makes it easier to run utilities across van from side to side.

Thanks for bringing up the magnitude of this potential issue.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Great information to have for planning for other uses also. I noticed a ProMaster camper at the Houston RV Show that had a rear transverse dinette over the wheel wells. To my surprise it had a slight step up at the dinette -- probably around 6 inches to match front cab area. For shorter people placing a seat over a 17-inch wheel well may be too high.
Chance,

You may find my thread of interest....

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36953

I built my floor with a basement, so the top surface of the floor is even with the cab area. Being 5' 5", I figured I could use the 6" below more than I would use it over my head!

I started thinking about this because I wanted to put in a couch or two over the wheel well. Problem is, a 17 " or 18" base with a 4" foam cushion leaves my feet dangling... very uncomfortable.

Floor Plan:

The dark red boxes represent the wheel well, that the couch will cover on one end. Corner of the couch will be cut to clear the boxed wheel well.

As built, my floor is 6" higher than the van floor. The couches I'm building are 14" high plus a 4" cushion, puts the seat height at 18" - which appears to be the standard height of most seats I've measured. The 6" has given me a complete basement capable of carrying multiple sheets of plywood, or 2x4s without impacting what's visible in the van. In the front basement, accessible from the sliding door, I store 2 folding chairs and other small items.

Ed

ps... my wheel well is 16.5" from the top of a high floor ridge to top of wheel well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts