Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can get a gas webasto 2000 (not diesel) so no need for a diesel tank and hooks up
to your spare nipple on your gas tank. I have one. Quiet on the inside and a little bit loud
on the outside. I am still looking for the proper muffler for it.
I have not camped with it yet.
UNcubed, I'd like to hear more about your experience with the D2 airtronic Espar.

Is it working well?

Is it too noisy?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
UNcubed, I'd like to hear more about your experience with the D2 airtronic Espar.

Is it working well?

Is it too noisy?

Thanks!
Hi John Forde
It is not an Espar It is a Webasto 2000st gasoline.
Works amazing
Very quiet on the inside of van. On the outside it is a little loud ,kinda of a howling
sound but settles down when temperature is reached.
It has all the safety stuff built in like the gasoline line is on the out side and if
for some reason it does not fire it will go into shutdown mode. This has not happened to me yet.

You run a line to the PM gas tank on the spare gas supply nipple. The line in the
gas tank only runs down so far as this saves you from being stranded.
If for some reason you get to that point and run the system dry you will need to
run the heater about 4 or 5 times just to get the fuel flowing again (the system always does a cycle if no flame is detected). So do not run it dry because it is a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I thought I'd tag onto this old thread since it's the biggest discussion of heaters. Anybody know anything about the Wallas DT22? It's similar to the espar D2. The guy I might hire to do the work likes them.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I thought I'd tag onto this old thread since it's the biggest discussion of heaters. Anybody know anything about the Wallas DT22? It's similar to the espar D2. The guy I might hire to do the work likes them.
I found the Esapr D2 for $895 from bunkheaters.com and it seemed like a "bargain" diesel heater as I looked at Wabasto and the Wallas cooker-heater called the Duo. Both of them were $2000+. I didn't see the Wallas DT22 as it seems to be listed for boats. No reason it cannot work for a Van. What sort of $$ is it? I never read a bad review of the Wabasto or Espar so they seem like good choices.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks, that's a great price. The Wallas DT22 is $2000+. I can't imagine that it's worth the extra bucks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know this does not apply for campers and such, but I thought I'd contribute that I added a 12v electric heater to help with the 2nd row. It works great though it's a little loud. Once the heat equalizes (I have a partition behind the 2nd row) I can turn it off and just use the front heat.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I know this does not apply for campers and such, but I thought I'd contribute that I added a 12v electric heater to help with the 2nd row. It works great though it's a little loud. Once the heat equalizes (I have a partition behind the 2nd row) I can turn it off and just use the front heat

Nice install idea.

DC Thermal? I just bought a 40 amp model I'm installing in the rear, from the ceiling.

Hadn't given any thought into mounting it under the seat. Been thinking of putting a little safe under there...

·
Super Moderator
7,001 Posts
I know this does not apply for campers and such, but I thought I'd contribute that I added a 12v electric heater to help with the 2nd row. It works great though it's a little loud. Once the heat equalizes (I have a partition behind the 2nd row) I can turn it off and just use the front heat.

Nice mod!

·
Registered
233 Posts
@makevx73 - Yes it a DC Thermal. It is a very 'functional' design. It is the 50A version and needs the biggest gauge+shortest wire for maximum output. Originally I had it switched with the ignition through a solenoid, but it is loud enough I'll never leave it on by accident. My second row seats are lower than the front, and with the heat from the front vents rising I figured I needed to get the heat down low. It's a tidy little fit down there and it is easy to turn on and adjust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone thought about using, or actually installed one of the generic Webasto 2000st gasoline heaters made in China? I've been looking at the following:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Belief-Air-Parking-Heater-2KW-12V-gasoline-Similar-with-Webasto-Heater-For-Boat-Bus-Truck-Caravan/2029644853.html

I know its generic Chinese and quality, parts, and installation instructions may be questionable compared to a genuine Webasto, but the price sure is right. The cheapest Webasto I could find was on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281214486217?lpid=82&chn=ps

The generic Diesel version got fairly good reviews on the Sprinter Forum.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39446

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a friend that put a cheap Chinese Espar clone in his T1N Sprinter setup. Previously had a Webasto diesel stovetop heater. He regrets going with the knock-off clone; has had nothing but problems getting it set up and keeping it working right. He would gladly have paid the nearly double cost for the real Espar.

·
Registered
601 Posts
@makevx73 - Yes it a DC Thermal. It is a very 'functional' design. It is the 50A version and needs the biggest gauge+shortest wire for maximum output. Originally I had it switched with the ignition through a solenoid, but it is loud enough I'll never leave it on by accident. My second row seats are lower than the front, and with the heat from the front vents rising I figured I needed to get the heat down low. It's a tidy little fit down there and it is easy to turn on and adjust.
Thanks Fuzzy. The more I look at your pics, the more I like the idea. A lot less $$$, not needing a bunch of 6 gauge wire and connections if I do it your way. And it does put the heat right on the floor for my second row seat were it's needed. I had planned on hanging it from the roof with one duct going to the rear windows as a defroster but after this past winter I didn't really see a need for it.

Still think I'll wire it with a solenoid to the ignition so I can have it start heating asap on those really cold New England mornings. At least after I get a remote start in it.

Sorry for jumpin' in on your thread RDinNHandAZ... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I doubt it because the fuel tank and the DEF tank would be in the way of the air intake, exhaust, and supply pump. In my thread I mounted my Espar D2 Airtronic just behind the driver's seat running fore and aft in that space. It was a very good spot, hitched up in short order and has worked flawlessly. I had to syphon the diesel in the beginning because the tank is high mounted under the cab. No big deal. BTW they say to have everything 2 inches from the hot exhaust and that might prevent squeezing the heater exhaust down by the tanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hydronic heater

Has anyone put a hydronic coolant heater in their van to heat the engine when away from 120 volt power for a block heater?
In the past and hopefully the future I like camping high in the hills (probably no more snowboarding at my age though:laugh:) and am looking at Espar and Webasto hydronic heaters with an interior radiator to keep both me and the diesel warm.
If anyone has experience with vehicle hydronic heat I would love to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Dane- Steve who is a poster here (backroader) has a Dual-top which does both hydronic and air heat. That might be a better choice. Check out his thread or PM him? He may see this inquiry too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My heater is the Webasto DualTop (provides cabin heat and hot water) it does NOT provide coolant heat to the engine. Great unit (but expensive) if you need/want hot water and cabin heat. Mine is installed in a storage cabinet near the rear wheel well on the drivers side with a dedicated 5gal fuel tank under the floor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where have people put their gas/diesel air heaters? I was wondering if I could fit it in the space just down from the step between the tank and the exhaust.
I installed mine in the center of the floor about 12 inches behind the step down from the cab floor. The silver metal you can see through the hole in the floor is the front edge of the heat shield above the Promaster muffler.

The combustion exhaust pipe exits just behind the drivers door and the combustion intake is routed into a dry corner above the muffler heat shield.

My van is a gas engine so there is a 3 gallon diesel tank mounted inside in front of the driver side rear wheel well with an outside filler. The Espar fuel pump is mounted under the van just inside the bottom of the van on the driver's side.

The heater is covered by a step and storage bins that are also a foot rest when the seats are swiveled.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts