Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone on this forum bought the "Parking Heater" from Japan/China that is a ripoff of the Espar. Anyone else have any experience with that?

I'm realizing that it has come high time to install the heater, as we're already getting to freezing temps overnight at high elevation. I was looking at the Espar D2 on eBay as the hit looks to be $800 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESPAR-D2-AI...ash=item3618719dde:g:3MoAAOSwuMZZG2~f&vxp=mtr) but found the no brand heaters and they are $450 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4KW-12V-Die...ash=item33d39bcddf:g:1uAAAOSw2WBZiReb&vxp=mtr). The install kit looks the same, but I'll need to buy a muffler, so the total will be $475.

On one hand, sweet, $325 saved. On the other hand, that's not THAT much money and I'm sure there is 0 warranty or support behind the no brand one.

Thoughts/Opinions?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Something as important as this, I'd probably just want to spend the extra money. Plus do they offer high altitude kits for the knock off? If not, that might be an issue as you mentioned high altitude in your post.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts
The China heater you listed comes with a two year warranty the espar heater you listed does not come with a warranty in the USA.
I know someone on this forum bought the "Parking Heater" from Japan/China that is a ripoff of the Espar. Anyone else have any experience with that?

I'm realizing that it has come high time to install the heater, as we're already getting to freezing temps overnight at high elevation. I was looking at the Espar D2 on eBay as the hit looks to be $800 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESPAR-D2-AI...ash=item3618719dde:g:3MoAAOSwuMZZG2~f&vxp=mtr) but found the no brand heaters and they are $450 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4KW-12V-Die...ash=item33d39bcddf:g:1uAAAOSw2WBZiReb&vxp=mtr). The install kit looks the same, but I'll need to buy a muffler, so the total will be $475.

On one hand, sweet, $325 saved. On the other hand, that's not THAT much money and I'm sure there is 0 warranty or support behind the no brand one.

Thoughts/Opinions?

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
420 Posts
A question borne of idle curiosity: are there any knock-off hydronic systems? All I've seen are airtronic. Being able to preheat the engine is nice, being able to have one heater for hot water and cabin heat is nice.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
A few things to note (again) about Chinese knock-offs:
1) they are probably all diesel - at least you can't trust ads that say gasoline
2) there is a huge support community on Facebook
3) there are several versions sold. The ones with blue LCD controllers seem to be the only ones with altitude adjustment (over ~5-7000 ft).

I got this one off AliExpress. It came with everything, just as described and pictured. Shipping took about a month. I mounted the fuel tank under the hood, on top of the fuse box (driver's side). Works great.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
They are also getting lots of parts on eBay as time goes buy. You will need an extra glow plug and screen, maybe a few gaskets etc. I carry all that stuff for my Espar too although in 5 years I have never had a glitch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
From a video on youtube, the air/water heater is meant to be recirculate water from a heat resistance holding tank or engine coolant. Its unlike the tankless propane water heater that is on demand. Those air/water comb slowly heat the water as it doesn't have that big of heat exchanger. Plus if you do run it in the summer, you will be pumping in hot air into your cabin.

As for getting extra parts for cheap diesel heater, I don't know if its worth it unless you plan to field repair it. The few individual parts easily add up to the cost of whole unit. I bought mine for $75 on ebay from a US seller so the shipping was pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
They are also getting lots of parts on eBay as time goes buy. You will need an extra glow plug and screen, maybe a few gaskets etc. I carry all that stuff for my Espar too although in 5 years I have never had a glitch.
Yes, getting parts for Chinese heaters is getting easier. We currently only carry a spare fuel pump. In our case, that's the only easily accessible part with failure potential. Our heater is buried deep enough that we'll just do without it until we get back home. These units are so cheap right now, I am thinking about buying another identical unit for backup and spare parts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, I am happy with my Chinese diesel heater as well. I have a spare fuel pump and also a spare controller (basic one with a knob). I was concerned that the LED controller, if it failed, would leave the heater running. The controller must tell the heater to do a shutdown sequence, otherwise just killing power will overheat the electronics. But, parts are easy to find on Ebay and quite reasonable.

Pics of my install are here:

·
Registered
420 Posts
From a video on youtube, the air/water heater is meant to be recirculate water from a heat resistance holding tank or engine coolant. Its unlike the tankless propane water heater that is on demand. Those air/water comb slowly heat the water as it doesn't have that big of heat exchanger. Plus if you do run it in the summer, you will be pumping in
That's not like my Espar Hydronic system. It heats the coolant directly, and quickly, too. Water is heated by a flat-plate heat exchanger, which will provide 2.5 gallons a minute of 170F water until you run out of diesel. It doesn't heat the air in my rig if I don't switch on the heat exchanger for heating.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,453 Posts
Chinese diesel liquid only heater, guessing it's a Webasto knock off

·
Registered
420 Posts
Chinese diesel liquid only heater, guessing it's a Webasto knock off
View attachment 63316
That looks a lot more like my unit. I like it because it can be totally outside the van, reducing noise and the chance of exhaust gasses entering the living space. I don't have mine heating the engine coolant - a trade off between complexity and failure modes vs. preheating the engine and being able to use engine heat to make hot water. It has it's own coolant, with a 1.2kW electric auxillary for when I am on shore power.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,453 Posts
FWIW, I've seen photos where they install them in the front bumper fender cavity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts