Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts
Haven't found it yet.

IMO you should be looking for the blend door that isolates the heater core. I understand that the actuator is the one above the gas pedal. From reading the other posts it appears if you remove the floor vent duct you can see the blend door, I haven't tried it so I can't confirm. Hopefully @KilWerBzz chimes in.

I seen this diagram on the service manual CD. It looks like the blend doors are way up there. I'll look into it today. If too much of the dash has to come apart I'm gonna bring it to an indy guy who's got some good diagnostic techs on hand. Thanx for the response. Anyone else ever try to tackle the blend-air doors (#3 in the diagram) on our PM's?

Not too long ago I noticed the heater in my 159 gasser PM wasn't working. Looking briefly online led me to check the coolant which in fact was just below the low mark. I topped it off with the proper coolant but the heater still doesn't work. To clarify - the blower motor works just fine as does the blend door actuators to go between defrost/front vents/ lower vents. I turn the dial to heat but even with the engine hot it just blows out ambient temperature air.

I'm guessing an airlock somewhere in the system but if that's the case, I'm not sure how to bleed it. Any thoughts?
When that happens to me it was a head gasket :( mine is a 2014 and I hate it the head gasket blew the catalytic converter cracked and what transmission blew

I've got heat!

With a threat of temps in the 30s this week, I finally made it a priority to get to the bottom of this. My assumption was the blend door was buried inside of the dashboard. Based on that, I took out the uconnect, the Uconnect surround including the clipboard and then took out the lower middle area with the drink holders. No blend doors visible.

Then I had another idea. Follow the air ducts. Starting off on the passenger floor board looking up I saw the blower motor. I followed the ductwork across with no visible blend doors even behind the middle removed portion. I then looked from the drivers side floor board and saw what I was looking for. There was a blend door with a white plastic arm attached. I wiggled the plastic arm around but was unable to force it to function. I fired the van up and turned the dial from cool to heat and watched the arm move. Heat proceeded to flow steadily out of the vents.

I don't know if it was just hung up or if disconnecting the controls and plugging it back in did it but either way it's working. I didn't see any debris stopping it from working so it's still a mystery and I fully expect future issues with this but I'm just glad its working again.

The picture shows the blend door and is basically laying on the gas pedal looking up into the dash area.
Hello, I want to say Thank You! I have 2014 PM. It was 40 degrees last night, with No Heat was Chilly. I went under the dash on the drivers ide and wiggled the white lever and it began to work and I'm warm again. This is an awesome tip, I never would have figured this out on my own. Thanks again!

Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section

Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted as your introductory post helps other long time members when responding to you and also prevents spam.

The heater temp blend door IS the one above the gas pedal. A couple years ago mine glitched. Not long after, my battery died. My radio was glitchy too and it all could have been from the low battery. Later after I changed the blend door actuator, but didn't calibrate it, it went nuts on me and failed to full cold and and the other side to full defrost. That, after working OK for some time. On my way to a funeral no less! This last summer I had both blend door actuators replaced at the dealer and they did calibrate them. No issues since then and a 3 year warranty on the repair. I was very pleased with their work.

All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
Not too long ago I noticed the heater in my 159 gasser PM wasn't working. Looking briefly online led me to check the coolant which in fact was just below the low mark. I topped it off with the proper coolant but the heater still doesn't work. To clarify - the blower motor works just fine as does the blend door actuators to go between defrost/front vents/ lower vents. I turn the dial to heat but even with the engine hot it just blows out ambient temperature air.

I'm guessing an airlock somewhere in the system but if that's the case, I'm not sure how to bleed it. Any thoughts?
Hey ,have the same problem right now ,my heater core started to leak after my van were parked for 1 year ,Took off heater ,replace core put it back ,right now when I’m touching the core (you can reach metal pipes under the panel from drivers side) means that coolant there and it’s hot so I hope the problem is the valve that block the air from the core ,kind of temperature switch,will check tomorrow

The recommended coolant fill method includes using an air pump to pull a partial vacuum in the cooling system - small blobs of air cannot resist expanding so the majority of them flow past obstructions to be eliminated... The problem is finding the correct adaptor to mate to FCA’s better ideas given to us on these vans, a cheap tool kit may not have it...

The recommended coolant fill method includes using an air pump to pull a partial vacuum in the cooling system - small blobs of air cannot resist expanding so the majority of them flow past obstructions to be eliminated... The problem is finding the correct adaptor to mate to FCA’s better ideas given to us on these vans, a cheap tool kit may not have it...
Not sure that’s accurate. At least in the gassers, there’s a surge tank that self-bleeds most of the air, and two bleeder screws that get the rest. Regardless, at least in the gasser cooling is simply not a problem on this engine. Hot spots, gaskets, water pump, overheating, thermostats, underheating, pinging...all extremely rare to have a problem.

Reactions: 83Grumman
Hi!
This is really useful stuff, everyone.

I recently had a headlight go out in my 2014 159"wb gas promaster with 190k miles. I replaced the headlight, then was told i had license plate lights out. Need to replace those, too. Thought maybe a surge caused it.
Today im noticing my heat isnt working. These issues all occurred within a week of one-another, and I am convinced they all happened at once. No idea what caused all three issues at once.

Anyways, I popped open my dash as discussed in the post about how to "jiggle" the blend door and found my blend door.
I tried running the van, then flicking on and off the heat, as well as changing most of the AC/ heat controls and never once saw this blend door move. I felt heat in the pipes (be careful, this gets reallllly hot).

I am assuming that since i never saw this thing move, that I have either an actuator or blend door issue, though I'm still unsure.
I'm curious if anyone can answer a few questions.

1. How does this blend door move? I was not able to make it budge with my fingers at all, and definitely put some decent force on it in all directions. Does it rotate as it would appear to?
2. Does anyone have any theories what would cause all of my issues at once?
3. Should I still get cool air + ability to scale the amount of air out of the vents up and down, if the actuator is failing? I thought that the actuator controls this, as well (or is there another one?)

Thanks!
Picture attached. In the top middle of the photo is the blend door, and the thing it attaches to with the screw is the actuator.

@Xalva
Any tips here on how you wiggled the Blend Door? How easily did it move?

Update: Fixed the heating.
@J L's post, linked in my post above did the trick, the strategy that most people here are saying worked.
Ill answer my own questions from above:
1. you can see how the actuator moves the blend door in the photo below. Its along that groove. If your blend door appears to be in the position as my photo shows, above, this is the position for cooling/ non-heat. The lever will appear to be far higher up in the dash if you're in heating mode. the "jiggling" described in J L's post wasn't really jiggling for me, it was more of forcing something that doesn't appear to move at all. I had to put significant pressure on the blend door lever with my fingers parallel to the groove. It still did not budge or shift at all. you really cannot force the blend door one way or the other. After toying with it once more, I was able to turn on the van, then rotate the climate control to heat, where I finally saw the blend door move and shift into heating mode. This seemingly fixed the issue.

2. No clue why all these issues happened at once. Lights probably are unrelated to this issue.
3. It seems that this actuator controls the ability to change the climate from heating to cooling. You can still get cooling when the blend door is in the position shown in my photo, as well as normal air. If your blend door is in the top position, you likely can only get heat and normal air.

For anyone wondering how to access this portion of the van, its been shared above, however Ill state it once more. These components are found in the drivers-side dash. You must remove 5 screws to access this portion of the dash, and even then, it is not very accessible. Luckily I'm a thin guy and could get in there, but it might be hard if you're a bit larger. After removing the panels, I lay on my side in between the 3 cup holders and the drivers seat on the floor with my head up against the gas pedal, looking straight up into the dash. The components should be obvious when comparing to my photo. To repeat, I have a 2014 159" wb gas promaster.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts