Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sold on a diesel so I could use the espar heater, but it looks like you can't buy the engine right now (not sure when they will be available again) and the used market is very small for the diesel. I know a few people have a webasto heater, but I've heard that the unit is really loud compared to the espar. Can anyone make a video so I can hear how the webasto sounds? Any if anyone has one with their espar, that would be nice too ;)

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,691 Posts
I have the gas Webasto. I have heard RD's diesel Espar. You may assume that the sound difference is negligible and more dependent on differences in installation than differences in unit. Don't let it affect your decision.

Videos from different people would be difficult to compare, anyway. I did a lot of research and never read anything about the gas or the Webasto being louder.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Both will be quiet if they are running at a low setting and to do that you need to calculate your heat loss and insulate so that your loss is about the same as the BTUs heater puts out. I did the calculations for freezing which is the temperature we run the heater all night. If its in the 40’s we just sleep under warm covers. Both heaters will be loud as they startup so you don’t want them to shut down and restart in the night from being over insulated. Evenings and mornings we run our diesel heater to have dinner, and read or watch a video and for breakfast. The louder startup sound is not a problem then. Buy an optional muffler to quiet it for the neighbors. We have camped with friends and no one has complained to us and I have asked.

See GaryBIS’s insulation calculator: http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/VanHeatLoss/VanHeatLoss.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts