Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heater core just blew on my 2017 Ram Promaster City. Currently at 89 000km. $1900 out of warranty repair. Symptom was windows fogged up and HVAC was stuck in recirc mode and recirculating fumes inside cabin. One fan speed. Smell in cabin was awful.
I must have a lemon. Previous repairs:

Engine runs out of oil before oil life monitoring system advises for change. Note that the manufacturer has gone away from specified intervals and has directed owners to rely on the OLM.
Engine consumes approximately 1L/7000kms
So an oil burner
3 TCM modules. (Failed and put vehicle in limp mode)
1 PCM with custom programming
2 Ignition coils (seperate breakdowns, one with code and one without) symptom was stumbling, stalling and running rough).
front swaybar links
On 3rd set of brakes
On 3rd set of tires
No spare tire - towed twice because supplied tire repair kit failed to function.
It’s been towed 9 times.
Currently putting a reliability plan together for our national fleet advisor on this specific vehicle so I’m keen to stay involved on the forum and learn from the experiences of others.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2015 PMC cargo van has had a cooling fan recall performed. The tranny was reprogrammed after going into limp mode. My van came with a spare tire under the rear. At only 35K miles, I'm still on the original brakes and Continental tires. No other issues.
I recently met and talked to a PMC owner in a grocery store parking lot. He had 145K miles on his van and said that the tranny reprogram was the only thing that he ever had done. I didn't ask about brakes or tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 City Wagon. I absolutely love it. I drive on the weekends only because I work from home during the week. However, I do a lot of driving in Los Angeles and surrounding cities. I have 25,000 appr on it now, but it quick to get on the highway, and drives a lot better and smoother than the NV200 Nissan I had. I bought it to have camping trips (eventually), turning the back into a bed, and insulating the wheel wells, side panels, and the floor. I created a frame, wrapped it in speaker felt, had plywood cut, wrapped those in speaker felt, and now have several options of a single bed, a double bed, and a little "garage" area underneath the bed.

·
Registered
2017 PMC Wagon
15 Posts
I've got 116,000 miles on my 2017 PMC. Tranny reprogram, radiator fan recall have been the only warranty work done on it. I replaced the front brakes at 112,000 miles. Rear brakes are original. I did the spark plugs myself at 75,000 miles.

I don't wait for the oil life monitor, I change my oil every 5,000 to 5,500 miles. Sometimes I have to put about a half quart in between oil changes, but not all the time. I'm not sure why it isn't consistent about that.

They had to do some major stuff besides change the heater core. It appears to be easy to get to, since it is in the console right by your feet, in front of the gear shift lever.A new core is about $180 bucks.

I got about 60,000 miles out of the original Continentals.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but not all of the PMCs are like that.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster City
9 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
Every 2015 city our company has the heater core went out between 80k and 115k we have 100 of them .. replaced at dealer.. so far at 211k no more issues
Fan Recall, oh and one ignition coil, and the rear tag light keeps going out .. it has been replaced at least 5 times in 3 yrs .. never had to replace headlights.. and I drive with them on when ever I'm behind the wheel.
Tires I'm about to hit my 3rd set ..brakes once so far, uses almost no oil, oil changed every 5k

·
Registered
94 Posts
2016 model, 77,000 miles, replaced an AC hose and had the fan replaced under recall. That's all! The original tires lasted about 40,000 miles (normal for new vehicle tires) Replaced with Michelin 60k mile tires but they are crap! They last about 20K. Won't buy Michelin ever again. I added a spare tire, wench, etc. Yes it burns oil, about 2 quarts every 5k miles. Depending on how hard you drive it determines how much oil it burns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts