Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see there are kits for other Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge/ram vehicles.

Is there a kit for the promaster?

I have the vinyl seats so I'm unsure if that makes it a no go?

If not is there a specific aftermarket kit that is safer/more reliable than others?

I'd assume I would pull power off the battery, fuse it and go to a relay that's controlled by an ignition switched circuit from the fuse panel.

If not it might be better to just get heated seat covers and run some dedicated 12v power under the seats to power them vs having cords plugged in drapping over to the dash.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are some one-size-fits-all stuff on Amazon. Here's one.

Taking apart your seat is not for the faint hearted. I watched some videos on installing one of these and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to attempt this. I'll probably just get one I can drape over the seat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have built the self adhesive carbon fiber heat kits into sidecar bucket seats. Pretty straightforward. But the complexity of the factory upholstery will make it a more difficult job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the factory vinyl seat coverings a chore to get off and do they ever go back on the same or will it always be noticable that they were tampered with?

·
Registered
33 Posts
A couple of thoughts going into this...

1. Try to get the original heat pads for the Promaster seats. Without removing the seat skins first to verify, you may find there are "flaps" of fabric that are inserted through the seat cushion to anchor the cover to the cushion, or "rods" embedded in the foam to which the cover is attached. In this situation, a large generic thermal pad would be in the way. If you do remove the skins first and verify there is nothing impeding the installation of a generic pad; go for it!

2. I have installed new leather skins on car seats before. As long as nothing was overlooked in the construction (as seen in the above referenced FitRV article) it isn't very difficult. You do need hog-ring pliers and good cutters (to remove the existing rings), plus a bag of hog-rings. Inexpensive tools. Some of the OEM-style heat pads on Amazon come with the pliers and rings.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was lazy and bought seat pads with built in warmers. The type that plug into your cigarette lighter. Actually work quite well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I may be stating the obvious, but you can get part of the benefit of heated seats (compared to unheated vinyl seats) with a simple, unheated, mesh seat pad. I bought one primarily to stay cooler in warm weather, but realized that it also softens the ride slightly AND, in the winter, the seat doesn't feel cold when I sit down. If you search for "breathable car seat cushion" on ebay, you can find one, like the picture below, for ~$6. This type is open and airy. A more closed, or leather-like design might be cold at first touch. Simple and cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got some of the universal heat heaters and will be installing them when I deal with the swivels/lowered bases later this spring.

I think the install of these will be miles easier than the linked leather cover install. Mainly because you don't need to pull the ENTIRE cover to sneak the heating pads under the cover. just pull up half and slide that sucker in. Mine came with pliers and new rings. And now I have an excuse to buy some new awesome cutters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts