Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 3500 ext came with "heated" mirrors, operated by a pushbutton in the furthest right control knob on the dash. The issue is that these don't produce enough heat to do any good- my dealer claims they are intended only to "defog" the mirrors and not remove ice. In other words, its not that they are broken, its just that they are lousy.

I have had other cars and trucks with heated mirrors and these all would clear themselves of ice and frost in a a very short period of time. I am not convinced that mine are not defective- what's the point of a heated mirror that can only clear itself of a light fog? Is my dealer just full of crap or are the heated mirrors really that poor of a design?

What have your experiences with the heated mirrors been?

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Heat wires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keeponvanning-

When you say they work, do they actually clear frost from the mirrors?

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
But if they don’t it is tough to go to your average mechanic and say “I think I’ve got a short in my mirror!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think dealer #1 is an idiot who doesn't want to address the issue- so am taking it to another dealer 50 miles away next week. Will report back to the collective.

·
Registered
121 Posts
But if they don’t it is tough to go to your average mechanic and say “I think I’ve got a short in my mirror!"
Just telling him the don't work would be much better than telling him there is a short. As someone who did electrical work for 10 years that just lets us know that you don't know what you think you know. If there was a short a fuse would be blown. Unless it tripped a breaker or blew a fuse it is an "open" which is usually the issue more than 90% of the time.

Like telling a Dr. what the illness is rather than the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
bkhi,
It was a joke! You may be too young to remember it. We used to say “I think I have a short in my Carburetor” when our 1950’s cars were not running well. Sorry to have mislead. Time marches on. Perhaps I need to explain this too. In the 1950’s and ‘60s there were no wires to the carburetor so to say that, it was understood to be humor, we all knew there could be no such thing so to suggest it was ludicrous thus funny. BTW a carburetor was a metering and mixing device to control the speed and power output of a gasoline engine before fuel injection and computers.
To suggest a mirror had wires would have been no different. I think I have a short in my mirror would once have been humorous but apparently today it is not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My mirrors have the heat emblems on them, but I don't have the heated mirror option. I'm guessing they all come like this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My truck has the little heated mirror button on the dash and the heat icons on the mirrors but not a lot happens when when the button pushed, although it does light up. It turns off after 10 minutes, just as its supposed to. When I took the van to the dealer with ice covered mirrors the head service writer told me, without trace of irony, that of course the mirrors couldn't clear ice off. The were "defoggers".

So there you go. On to dealer #2 .

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ve had two PM’s with Heated mirrors, we get Iced up all the time in winter living near the Columbia River gorge. Always worked fine and quickly melting the ice away...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Now I kinda wish my mirrors would ice up so I can test their heaters. Sadly, we live were it doesn't get all that cold, although you wouldn't know it based on the last few weeks here. But it looks like those crazy daffodils are going to bloom any second now, anyway. #sorry #westcoastproblems

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Even the dash defroster will take time to melt ice. This is why we scrape the ice off with ice scapers and a snow brush. My defogger works fine on the mirrors to a reasonable point. Common sense will come into play. Not nice to call someone an idiot until you know the facts. Even with the facts, do not do this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine are temperamental, some days they are fantastic and you can see the pattern of the heating element on the glass, others don't see any melting at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
"Even the dash defroster will take time to melt ice. This is why we scrape the ice off with ice scapers and a snow brush. My defogger works fine on the mirrors to a reasonable point. Common sense will come into play. Not nice to call someone an idiot until you know the facts. Even with the facts, do not do this."

Thanks, Uncubed- You are of course correct and I apologize for my lack of good manners. I appreciate your reminder to be a better person and have attempted to edit the post- but it's been up too long. My shame shall exist for internet eternity.

I was frustrated by my dealers lack of desire to address the issue- name calling was unwarranted.

FWIW, the defroster works beautifully, and makes clearing ice from the windshield and side windows a simple and easy task. I am reluctant to use a scraper on the mirrors as they are easily scratched, and their shape makes them difficult to clear. My recently retired van, a 2005 T1N sprinter, would de-ice it's mirrors automatically- it's mirror heating elements were thermostatically operated.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What they have heated mirrors! So that's why I look hot when I do a Kookie in the van mirror.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts